Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've just finished porting 77 of the Preware-installable MIT Open Source patches to apply against the webOS 1.3.1 SDK beta emulator.

Check in http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/1.3.1/ for your favourites.

--Begin Edit by dBsooner--
    Keep checking the above link for updates. As more patches are ported and tested, the feed will grow.
    --End Edit by dBsooner--

The latest versions of Preware and the Package Manager service will *automatically* use the correct patch feed which corresponds to the version of webOS that you are running at the time.

We can use this thread to report patches that are listed in that feed, but have functional problems; or patches that are not listed in that feed, but someone has been able to forward-port to webOS 1.3.1 ...

Note that for all the patches that are licensed as MIT Open Source (there are only a few stragglers that we have not been able to confirm this for yet), *anyone* with access to the 1.3.1 Beta SDK can port the patch to webOS 1.3.1 and submit the updated patch under the same license. The original author, and the person who updated the patch, are then both listed (if desired) in the maintainer field.

MIT Open Source patches means that the whole community can work together to get the complete set of patches ported to the next webOS version without being held up if a particular author does not have the time or desire to do so.

-- Rod

Mod Note: Here is the full list of patches ported or not.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/15/2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add note on full list of patches -craig
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The one I didn't see that I use often... org.webosinternals.patches.email-enable-landscape-email_1.2.1-0_all.ipk didn't see that one for 1.3.1 Anybody try that one yet?
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    The one I didn't see that I use often... org.webosinternals.patches.email-enable-landscape-email_1.2.1-0_all.ipk didn't see that one for 1.3.1 Anybody try that one yet?
    If it isn't in that list above, and it's in the 1.2.1 feed, and is open source, then it didn't apply cleanly against 1.3.1 - and I can confirm that is the case for the landscape email patch.

Luckily, for the open source patches, we can share the burden of porting the remaining ones ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If it isn't in that list above, and it's in the 1.2.1 feed, and is open source, then it didn't apply cleanly against 1.3.1 - and I can confirm that is the case for the landscape email patch.

Luckily, for the open source patches, we can share the burden of porting the remaining ones ...

-- Rod
    So the 77 applied with no modification then essentially. K, well all I can do is hope for those with 1.3.1 SDK's can find some time to work on the others. Alas, I don't have it yet. Of course that would require me to be a developer. One day maybe. Ok, one day soon.
    -----------------
    Feel free to pass along the 1.3.1 SDK and I can update the rest of mine for it.
  6.    #6  
    K, well all I can do is hope for those with 1.3.1 SDK's can find some time to work on the others. Alas, I don't have it yet. Of course that would require me to be a developer. One day maybe. Ok, one day soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Feel free to pass along the 1.3.1 SDK and I can update the rest of mine for it.
    Since Chuq unofficially-did-but-officially-did-not mention Preware and webOS Patches in Forums webOS • View topic - Three things for developers with Applications in the Catalog, you may want to respond to his offer of early access in that post, and let him know that you're wanting to port some patches ...

I haven't signed any NDA's and am not going to give specific details about 1.3.1 (cause I'm actually not sure of what Palm's wishes are regarding disclosure of that info), but I'm afraid I will be respecting the nature of the closed beta program.

-- Rod
    Since Chuq unofficially-did-but-officially-did-not mention Preware and webOS Patches in Forums webOS • View topic - Three things for developers with Applications in the Catalog, you may want to respond to his offer of early access in that post, and let him know that you're wanting to port some patches ...

I haven't signed any NDA's and am not going to give specific details about 1.3.1 (cause I'm actually not sure of what Palm's wishes are regarding disclosure of that info), but I'm afraid I will be respecting the nature of the closed beta program.
    Haha I totally understand, I was only half serious anyway.
    Since Chuq unofficially-did-but-officially-did-not mention Preware and webOS Patches in [url= webOS • View topic - Three things for developers with Applications in the Catalog[/url], you may want to respond to his offer of early access in that post, and let him know that you're wanting to port some patches ...

-- Rod
    what's weird is that I somehow feel proud of how palm respects the dev and hombrew community and how that community responds in kind. Its a litle golden rule action taking place, however removed and profit rational it may be, it is nice to see humans respecting one another in any walk of life.
    Thank you for this Rod! I have stickied this thread. I also edited the OP to explain to users to keep checking the link for updates. Hopefully all the patches we have will be ready for 1.3.1 by launch day. Wouldn't that be great?
    dBsooner
    WebOS-Internals Member and Developer
    Donations Appreciated!

Keep up to date with webOS-Patches via Twitter: @dBsooner

Browse Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal - (Trac)
    Submit New Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Submit Updated Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    what's weird is that I somehow feel proud of how palm respects the dev and hombrew community and how that community responds in kind. Its a litle golden rule action taking place, however removed and profit rational it may be, it is nice to see humans respecting one another in any walk of life.
    +1

You members with the "Pre-release" (pun intended) are blessed. Good luck and thank you for the work you are doing. It may be just that work which allows Palm to gain the ground they need.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    +1

I personally think that genuine collaboration with the open source community in a mature and co-respecting manner *is* a profit rational thing for Palm to do ... (and I have good information that says that Palm feels the same way).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I emailed Chuq earlier asking for access. Hopefully I'll be blessed tomorrow. I agree that Palm certainly will profit from the open source community here. They founded this phone on open source, and they are full embracing us. It is only smart business for them to do so.

How many people on this board would still have their Pre if it wasn't for the patches that this community has developed?
    -----------------
    I hope this question isn't to newbie. LoL. When the new update comes out will we still need to remove the old patches or will preware update automatically to the new version? I think I'm reading it as we will still need to remove the patches and then preware will choose the right patch for your software version.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I hope this question isn't to newbie. LoL. When the new update comes out will we still need to remove the old patches or will preware update automatically to the new version? I think I'm reading it as we will still need to remove the patches and then preware will choose the right patch for your software version.
    Yes, you always need to remove patches before an update, and re-apply them after the update. Preware will automatically show which ones are available for the new webOS version.

If you forget to remove patches before an update, you can still use EPR immediately after the update to recover. That's the beauty of AutoPatch technology that is included free in every patch packaged by WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Yes, you always need to remove patches before an update, and re-apply them after the update. Preware will automatically show which ones are available for the new webOS version.

If you forget to remove patches before an update, you can still use EPR immediately after the update to recover. That's the beauty of AutoPatch technology that is included free in every patch packaged by WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    Hmmm, I smell an opportunity for a patch. Why don't we patch the Palm update utility to pop up a box when it wants to do an update, that says "Remove Patches before Upgrade" Yes / No On Yes, it runs the EPR.
    -----------------
  16.    #16  
    Hmmm, I smell an opportunity for a patch. Why don't we patch the Palm update utility to pop up a box when it wants to do an update, that says "Remove Patches before Upgrade" Yes / No On Yes, it runs the EPR.
    I have been investigating the upstart control files to see if we can hook it in automatically ...

-- Rod
    I've just finished porting 77 of the Preware-installable MIT Open Source patches to apply against the webOS 1.3.1 SDK beta emulator.

Check in Index of /feeds/webos-patches/1.3.1 for your favourites.

-- Rod
    that's a lot of patches for 1.3.1, i hoped some wouldn't be necessary after a update cause they are included...

not that i want u to leak any info of the beta, but it would kind of sad that not even the since 1.2.1 only commented out LED notification did not make it into official 1.3.1:
    org.webosinternals.patches.screen-lock-enable-led-notifications_1.3.1-0_all.ipk

although this will be huge upgrade for us 1.1.3 gsm users (hopefully on the same date)
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I love that we're already talking about 1.3.1.
    Kind of weird that we had 1.2, 1.2.1 and now skipping right to 1.3.1.
    I guess I'll have to start hitting that "Update" icon again soon.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    How many people on this board would still have their Pre if it wasn't for the patches that this community has developed?
    eh well if I hadn't accidentally stumbled on this board, my Pre would not have made it past the 30 day return limit. My first week with the Pre was basically "Well . . it's sorta cool although not quite what I was hoping for since seeing it at ces last year."

But now it's become more and more what I'd hoped and thats because mainly of the crews on these boards. And yes Palm dudes are doing their thing too, but not at the psycho pace you all are doing it heh.
    Last edited by twiktor; 11/03/2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: an oops
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    How are we supposed to submit updated 1.3.1 patches? And is there anyone who can test them on device.
    -----------------
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast