View Poll Results: Does the Roam Only Patch / Tweak work for you ?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 77.27%
  • No , gave up

0 0%
  • No , Still trying

5 22.73%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I installed the roam only patch a few weeks ago. This was before the web os tweak was available.

I used webos to install the tweak while I had the patch. Then my phone preferences screen was just showing a white screen. I disabled the tweak and then the preference screen worked again, but the roam only patch was no longer working. I tried installing the tweak again but it just showed a white screen.

How do I remove the roam only patch from my phone?
    I too need to remove the roam only patch that I applied before the web os tweak because my on/off button isn't working and I need to take her into Sprint for service.

To remove the patch can I copy the preflist-assitant.jsjsjs.$bak$ $file$ $to$ $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$ $and$ $then$ $delete$ $the$ $bak$ $file$?

Thanks for your help and the roam-only patch because without it, I get no signal at my house.
    How did you install the original patch? If you installed the patch via quilt, then you just have to type the following in root:

cd /
    quilt pop -a

Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

That will remove all patches from the Pre...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    We've got the solution for Roam Only, but in practice that only affects the Voice Network. Data Roaming, even when enabled, doesn't happen if you're in the Sprint Network area.

A lot of us are in areas where Sprint hasn't even bothered to put 3G coverage in, so we're stuck with 1x except when we travel to another area where either a Sprint or bonafide roaming partner has EVDO coverage. On the other hand, Verizon has had EVDO in my local area for 2 years! Can anyone come up with a patch to tap into that (EVDO data roam) when we turn on Roam Only?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    You can't roam on EVDO. The reason is there is no roaming agreement. You get 1X when you select roam only, and that is all you will ever get.

Also, if you are using ROAM allthe time, you will get a bill. It's not only a hard MB limit (i believe 500MB) but also a total percent of your data usage, if Sprint is really that bad where you live you are better off changing networks or using WiFi for data when possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    You can't roam on EVDO. The reason is there is no roaming agreement. You get 1X when you select roam only, and that is all you will ever get.

Also, if you are using ROAM allthe time, you will get a bill. It's not only a hard MB limit (i believe 500MB) but also a total percent of your data usage, if Sprint is really that bad where you live you are better off changing networks or using WiFi for data when possible.
    Ah, but you can roam on EVDO. For example, in Buena Vista, Colorado, Sprint has no coverage - only roaming - and I definitely saw the "EVDO" symbol and the "R" on my Pre phone while I was there this summer. While there, I had data speeds that made my 1xRTT home area sad. Also, the Sprint coverage map shows different shades of grey for "Mobile broadband roaming" and just "Data roaming".

I agree that Sprint has limits on percentage of roaming use, but that's another matter. They also claimed to provide broadband when they enticed me to buy a phone. And I usually use WiFi, but I don't stay in the house or close to a free hotspot all the time.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    yeah you can roam evdo... ive done it alot.....
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    My guess is this is in areas with no sprint coverage whatsoever...AND EVDO only coverage. (edited: I wonder if you are roaming off Altel? Altel signed a 10 year agreement with Sprint for EVDO roaming in 2006...Also, broadband cards have EVDO roaming agreements as well).

For instance, I have never seen R EVDO in the northeast, if anyone else has I'd love to know where. I will drive there just to see it. I never saw it on VZW either, and I used them for 8+ years.

Basically, if you get 1X sprint, I am 99.99999% certain you cannot force EVDO-R off verizon.
    Last edited by pico23; 10/08/2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Looking at coverage maps, you may be right about my EVDO roaming experience in Buena Vista, CO, being Alltel. (I see that Alltel merged with Verizon in Jan 09 and Verizon is required to sell off that area to AT&T.)

Still, if data roaming could be forced through a setting, it seems that the worst that could happen is a voice-only connection in places where there's no data roaming agreement. And it sounds like maybe you'd agree that there's at least a .00001% probability that a faster data connection could be made.
    I have tried multiple times to install the Roam only patch, tried with Quick install and Preware whenever I select “roam” from the phone preferences on my Pre it just searches for signal. I finally Web Doctored my Pre last night to start fresh. Installed Roam only selection with Quick Install, NO SIGNAL, Luna restart, and reboot .NO SIGNAL…. Uninstalled with Quick install. Installed via preware, Luna restart, reboot, NO SIGNAL………….. Am I missing something? Do I need to install a secondary application or patch for this to work? I don’t need “Rome only “I just want to see it work. Tried both WiFi enabled and disabled. Dev mode enabled and disabled.

I don’t want to go this route….Patch webOS Roam Control - WebOS Internals

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thank you

Vista machine

After running the doctor..........I found several apps left on / Bank of America , Fidelity , Weather Channel and a few more . Also every single email I had received and deleted since June reappeared.
    Last edited by Colonel Angus; 10/27/2009 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I have tried multiple times to install the Roam only patch, tried with Quick install and Preware whenever I select “roam” from the phone preferences on my Pre it just searches for signal. I finally Web Doctored my Pre last night to start fresh. Installed Roam only selection with Quick Install, NO SIGNAL, Luna restart, and reboot .NO SIGNAL…. Uninstalled with Quick install. Installed via preware, Luna restart, reboot, NO SIGNAL………….. Am I missing something? Do I need to install a secondary application or patch for this to work? I don’t need “Rome only “I just want to see it work. Tried both WiFi enabled and disabled. Dev mode enabled and disabled.

Thank you

Vista machine

After running the doctor..........I found several apps left on / Bank of America , Fidelity , Weather Channel and a few more . Also every single email I had received and deleted since June reappeared.

Anybody? Someone has had to have a similar experience and figured out how to get this patch to work.

Willing to read and learn, just want to select roam and make a call.
    Has anyone had this problem and able to get the Roam only tweak / patch to work ?

Thanks
    Works perfect for me. I use it daily!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Works perfect for me. I use it daily!
    Has anyone had this problem and able to get the Roam only tweak / patch to work ?

Thanks
    Thanks for the bump so to speak. Looking for help , I want to be able to select Roam and actually be able to use it.

Anyone , anything ?
    Thanks for the bump so to speak. Looking for help , I want to be able to select Roam and actually be able to use it.

Anyone , anything ?

Maybe you do not have connection to any cell towers where you are? I think Sprint has contract with Verizon for roaming for instance, so if you can't connect to a verizon tower than you will get no connection while roaming?

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Hard to believe no one who's read this thread has had the same problem and has not solved it.

Anyone ? Please

Thanks

Thank you

Vista machine

Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Maybe you do not have connection to any cell towers where you are? I think Sprint has contract with Verizon for roaming for instance, so if you can't connect to a verizon tower than you will get no connection while roaming?
    Eric

I'm in a major US City covered by Sprint , Verizon and ATT...My location shows high quality service on all tree service maps.

Thanks for taking the time
    Just a silly question but do you have data roaming enabled?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Just a silly question but do you have data roaming enabled?
    There are no silly questions, I do have data roaming enabled. I thank you for taking the time to ask. Eventually someone will say something and I'll try it and then the Roam only will work and hopefully the next person who is having problems getting it to work will read this and have a solution.

Thank you all

Thank you

Vista machine

There are no silly questions, I do have data roaming enabled. I thank you for taking the time to ask. Eventually someone will say something and I'll try it and then the Roam only will work and hopefully the next person who is having problems getting it to work will read this and have a solution.

Thank you all
    I need to see the "R"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you

Vista machine

I can load just about any patch / Preware or tweak / WebOSQuickInstall except for this Roam Only........... What am I missing , is a setting on my end? ANYONE , ANYTHING at this point would be helpful

Thanks
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast