Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I would love to be able to just slide the keyboard shut to close all open apps on the screen automatically and immediately turn off the screen. I can't believe how much time I waste swiping away everything. If the slider is closed, you could then open and close it to clear everything. Or if it's already open, just slide it shut.

I realize a lot of people wouldn't want this behavior, but it would be a nice OPTION. It would be great if this patch were coded to have a Screen/Lock Preferences section to control turning this feature on/off.
    Last edited by markbugs; 10/30/2009 at 09:55 AM.
    Why would you need to close every app each time you close the slider? I always have the Messaging, EMail, Agenda, & sometimes a browser card left up for quick access when i use my phone. Why not just leave them running? I don't mean to bash your idea, just curious as to why you don't just leave any cards up.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    To save on battery. Actually there are many reasons you would want to close all your apps at once. Most importantly, "because I want to" is more than enough reason. If you will read my post, I DID say that some people would probably not want this patch. If you don't want it, then if someone develops it, you are certainly free to NOT install it. Sheesh.

So actually, yes, you did bash my idea, and it's pretty rude. For me, it would be a great convenience. I'll be sure to bash your next idea, though.
    No way to programmably close apps afaikafaikafaik
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    No way to programmably close apps afaikafaikafaik
    Yep. To my knowledge, an app can only close itself, but not others. I'm not sure if it's possible to kill apps from the command line either.
    This proposal is so contrary to the philosophy of Pre that you probably should seriously think about whether the Pre is the phone for you.
    BTW if someone found a way to close apps, I think it would be much better to make it a launcher icon with some sort of confirmation. It would be a pain to close the slider only to realize that you forgot to turn this "feature" off.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I would do it as a Orange + Sym + Keystroke entry instead. Seems more logical. Instead of like something to reset there is something to basically close out everything.
    Here is my thought about the request; as I close my slider pretty frequently to read page or watch video, and reopen to search again (and I haven't ever felt comfortable using virtual keyboards). Maybe some sort of quick/easy command to close all cards with a confirmation acknowledgement (could be a convience if possible). Closing slider could get to be an annoyance to a nice patch, I think.

maybe dbl tapping center button?

maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    BTW if someone found a way to close apps...
    Not to mention, if someone found a way to programmably close apps, it'd be a pretty big security issue
    Quote Originally Posted by markbugs View Post
    To save on battery. Actually there are many reasons you would want to close all your apps at once. Most importantly, "because I want to" is more than enough reason. If you will read my post, I DID say that some people would probably not want this patch. If you don't want it, then if someone develops it, you are certainly free to NOT install it. Sheesh.

So actually, yes, you did bash my idea, and it's pretty rude. For me, it would be a great convenience. I'll be sure to bash your next idea, though.
    EDIT: Removed after thinking this through. Sorry i asked why you would need this. Sorry for just asking a question.
    Last edited by Veritas06; 11/01/2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This proposal is so contrary to the philosophy of Pre that you probably should seriously think about whether the Pre is the phone for you.

You took the thoughts right out of my head............
    You could download luna-manager, and just hit the restart luna button in that every so often, that's two taps instead of swiping everything away. Of course, the time you save not swiping would be taken up by luna restarting, which usually takes 15-30 seconds.
    whats luna manager?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrydasean View Post
    whats luna manager?
    It's an app available through PreWare that allows you to Rescan the applications, restart Luna, & restart Java. Pretty much anything you'd need after installing a new application.
    Luna itself is also said to have memory leaks so it'd probably improve his performance to restart it that often. Not worth it to me, but maybe it'd work for the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by markbugs View Post

I really didn't read that from Veritas06's post.

I know how sometimes it's hard to get the correct 'tone' across in the forums.

Choosing the correct words is always a challenge also.

Besides, it looks as if a few posts up he apologized.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I couldn't disagree more!

Yes the Pre is the phone for me (hey, I rhymed) but when I get the 'Too many cards open' notification, it would be GREAT to just have a simple gesture or something to close every app I have open.

I personally think it's a great idea, and would it be possible to program something using the new PDK? (I know nothing about programing, that may have been an incredibly stupid question.)

If Palm has logical reasons to stop people from coding something that closes apps, is there a way to convince Palm to add this functionality.