Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    Just submitted new versions of both patches to webos-patches! See OP for new features.

If you're going to use the .quicknote feature I strongly recommend you upgrade the USCL Notes Patch as well.

Available here now if you want to install with webOSQI and you know what you're doing: Index of /webos/patches
    I tried to install the patches using WOSQI but got this error message for each patch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I tried to install the patches using WOSQI but got this error message for each patch.
    That's the same error prubin had back on page 4. :/

This is definitely not my problem, but perhaps the contents of /tmp/scriptFile.sh on the device can shed some light. Run "novacom get file:///tmp/scriptFile.sh" (without the quotes) and paste the output. I'm curious.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Oh and I just uploaded the bug-fixed version of my patches to Index of /webos/patches just now.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    That's the same error prubin had back on page 4. :/

This is definitely not my problem, but perhaps the contents of /tmp/scriptFile.sh on the device can shed some light. Run "novacom get file:///tmp/scriptFile.sh" (without the quotes) and paste the output. I'm curious.
    ????

root@castle: novacom get file:///tmp/scriptFile.sh
    version: novacom-13
    usage: novacom [-a address] [-p port] [-t] [-q] [-l] [-d device] <command>
    options:
    -a address: ip address of the novacomd server, default is 'localhost'
    -p port: port of the novacomd server's device list port, default is 6968
    -t: go into terminal mode, for interactive use
    -k: go into krustymode to talk to older, non-packetized novacomds
    -q: quit on EOF on stdin
    -s: pass signals to remote process
    -l: list devices and then exit
    -d device: connect to specific device instead of first
    -w: wait for device to show up before running command
    -V: version information
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I should have been more clear: "novacom get file:///tmp/scriptFile.sh" is what you type on your computer when your Pre is connected to it (and developer mode is on). Since you're at the root prompt on the device, just run "cat /tmp/scriptFile.sh" instead. If you get the message "file not found", try to install the patch using webOSQI again and run it when that error message is shown.

root@castle: cat /tmp/scriptFile.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    cat /tmp/scriptFile.sh
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    root@castle: cat /tmp/scriptFile.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    cat /tmp/scriptFile.sh
    ***? There's no ( in there. *stumped*

I got gmail to work perfectly in my uscl.json file. Here's the syntax if anyone is interested:

"gmail": {
    "title": "Gmail",
    "usage": "<var>keywords</var>",
    "example": "in:sent",
    "description": "Search emails through gmail web interface.",
    "url": "http://mail.google.com/mail/?search=query&view=tl&start=0&init=1&fs=1&q=",
    "noArguments": {
    "url": "http://www.gmail.com/"
    }
    }
    An attempt to install via Preware gave problems with four files, so I repaired them with WebOSRepairUtility:

Extracting file from ROM: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs
    --success
    ==============================
    Extracting file from ROM: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html
    --success
    Extracting file from ROM: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/global-search/expanded-searches-div.html
    --success
    Extracting file from ROM: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/index.html
    --success

Then, I tried to install again from Preware and got an error with the file
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/uscl.css

It said: "Error: Patch already installed?"

According to Internalz, that file is not there, although there are two other help .css files for USCL.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    May I suggest some further additions:

- Make it language independent. If my GSM Pre is set to German, I get no universal search bar at all after installing your patch . After switching language settings to English everything is fine.

- Turn on/off 3G (EVDO/UMTS). I normally turn it off in order to save battery. Turning it on is cumbersome.

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    It said: "Error: Patch already installed?"
    If you took the advice I posted earlier here about removing .prerm files before using Preware to remove a patch that Preware wouldn't remove, then it turns out that may not have been wise advice on my part.

If---and ONLY if---neither of my patches are listed as installed in preware then get a root prompt on the device and run the following commands:

Code:
    cd /var/usr/lib/.webosinternals.patches
    rm universal-search-command-line.patch
    rm universal-search-uscl-memos-patch.patch
    then you should be able to install the patches. Removing those files is one of the things that the prerm scripts do, and if dbsooner's postinst script sees one of these files it throws the "patch already installed?" error.
    Last edited by dsevil; 12/07/2009 at 07:07 PM.

OK, that worked. Thanks!
    No, see above in this thread. I had to use WebOS Repair utility to replace one of the original WebOS files that had been patched. Something about line break characters being messed up. EPR did not do anything to fix this problem.
    For anyone wanting more information on EPR, see the new Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR) thread.

- Craig
    I installed the two patches ... does it really matter which is done first? I did the normal patch then the notes patch...

i get this error:

.memo: The application com.palm.app.notes is not installed or has not been patched to work with the Universal Search Command line. Please install the USCL Memos Patch via Preware (or by other means)

a) why isn't it working when I installed both patches (via pre ware) and then via QI when it didn't work

b) help
    the .memo thing doesn't work for me

the other things seem to work tho (.dict etc.)

why not .memo ?
    so .quicknote works

but .note and .memo doesn't work

What the heck? lol

anyone have any answers ?
    I'm having trouble getting the ".show <cmd" or ".hide <cmd>" to work. It works to use ".show" to show everything or ".hide" to hide everything, but not to show or hide individual commands. So if I say ".show amazon", then I still don't get amazon in the list. Or if I show everything and then say ".hide beeradvocate", I still have everything in the list, including beeradvocate.

Is this working for anyone? I'm using 1.3.1
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    .memo: The application com.palm.app.notes is not installed or has not been patched to work with the Universal Search Command line. Please install the USCL Memos Patch via Preware (or by other means)
    Do you have version 1.3.1-22 of *both* patches installed?
    I hope you restarted Luna after installing the Notes one.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I wish I could better explain the present semantics of .show/.hide, but I'll try. There are basically two forms of .hide/.show:

The .hide/.show form affects a flag (internally called "show") that specifies if *any* extended Universal Search items are shown at all.

The .hide/.show <cmd> form sets/clears a flag (internally stored in an object called "hiddenFlags") specific to each <cmd>. It does not affect the "show" flag. ".show all" clears all hidden flags. There is no ".hide all".

Example sequence of command to illustrate:
    .show -> all items are shown
    .hide amazon -> amazon is hidden
    .hide ebay -> amazon and ebay are now hidden
    .hide -> all items are hidden
    .show all -> all items are still hidden, but all hidden flags are gone
    .hide dict -> dictionary's hidden flag is set
    .hide thes -> thesaurus's hidden flag is set
    .show -> show flag is true once again; all items except dictionary and thesaurus are shown

Hope this helps. I had my reasons for the present semantics but I'll probably modify them, or at least rename one of the forms, or something. It's not like I have a dedicated usability team for this. Well, not except for you, the user.

Suggestions are welcome. Suggestions that clearly define the behavior in all cases and account for when commands are added/removed via an upgrade or via changes to uscl.json are especially welcome.
    Last edited by dsevil; 12/08/2009 at 07:41 PM.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    Or if I show everything and then say ".hide beeradvocate", I still have everything in the list, including beeradvocate.
    Also, .beeradvocate is not the name of a command. I'll add a warning message about nonexistent commands in the next version, however.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast