1.    #1  
    I apologize if this has been posted before. I DID search before posting.

If you launch the phone application and go to preferences there is a new option as of WebOS 1.2 that allows you to toggle data on/off.

My understanding is that this essentially turns off your data connection but you'll still be able to receive SMS and phone calls.

I would like to see a patch that adds this functionality to the Top Bar menu. Similar to the WiFi and Bluetooth options.

Thoughts?
  2.    #2  
    Wow, I'm somewhat surprised that no one has responded. I wonder if I'll get a response when I share that when I disable "Data" my battery life goes through the roof!

With Data Off:
    Less than 1% drain per hour

With Data On:
    commonly 4-5% per hour

During my work day, I have no need for the Data services as I'm already sitting in front of a computer. I'm just looking for an easier way to toggle this setting.
    So far when I want to toggle the data (mainly when I am drinking or out and don't have to worry about what emails I am getting) I just leave the preferences card open. That way if I need to toggle the data on/off, it is not too hard. An extra option could be useful though.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    itz a app 4that in preware quick system tasks.......an you can set it into tray mode..it stay at bottom of screen at all times.....
    Last edited by KAM313; 10/28/2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    So the Homebrew app known as 'Data Toggle' isn't good enough?
    It goes one step further in convenience over QST (and leaving the phone preferences app open for that matter) as all you have to do is touch it, get a haptic feedback that its on/off, and its good to go with no annoying banner in dashboard.
    I use it all the time and yes your battery findings are correct. You will notice a huge difference. If one can go without emails, web browsing, and SMS with images throughout certain parts of your day I would highly suggest getting on the Data Toggle tip.. . (its also a great alternative to 'Battery Saver' if you still need to have a phone line open at night. While you sleep turn Data off and wake up to 100% battery for a change)

p.s. As soon as you turn it back on, your emails and any pictures sent to you through SMS will be time stamped and received before your phone has a chance to fall asleep. Pretty nice.
    To clarify, Data Off only allows phone usage and texts w/o images.
    Last edited by Freshyz; 10/28/2009 at 01:37 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    It goes one step further in convenience over QST (and leaving the phone preferences app open for that matter) as all you have to do is touch it, get a haptic feedback that its on/off, and its good to go with no annoying banner in dashboard.
    I use it all the time and yes your battery findings are correct. You will notice a huge difference. If one can go without emails, web browsing, and SMS with images throughout certain parts of your day I would highly suggest getting on the Data Toggle tip.. . (its also a great alternative to 'Battery Saver' if you still need to have a phone line open at night. While you sleep turn Data off and wake up to 100% battery for a change)

p.s. As soon as you turn it back on, your emails and any pictures sent to you through SMS will be time stamped and received before your phone has a chance to fall asleep. Pretty nice.
    I didn't know about this app. Just installed it and you're right, it's even better than having it in the Top Bar menu. I've added it to my quick launch bar. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I didn't know about this app. Just installed it and you're right, it's even better than having it in the Top Bar menu. I've added it to my quick launch bar. Thank you!
    Your welcome sir!
    I would suggest not putting it on your quick launch area though. I tried that and accidentally hit it all the time without realizing it.
    Just remember when you try and web browse forgetting its off you will only be prompted to turn WiFi on and not Data (toggle). You have to close what you tried to launch, turn data back on, wait for Ev to show back up (which only takes a second or two but if you go too fast into next step it gets hung up on OFF sometimes) then reload what you were originally trying to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post

say my data is off and my wifi is on, if i am walking down the street and walk past an unsecured wifi connections will a email or 2 pop in?

I guess walking with wifi on would just be using a ton more battery and to accomplish the same thing you could just toggle data on for 2 min and toggle it back off.

I just answered my own question

shall i even post this?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    actually I would love a Data Toggle...now that I got a GPS and brightness toggle in the menu bar...it wouldn't hurt and it wouldn't be stupid to have a Data Toggle...what's the use in having an app for that if it could be a patch that adds it to the menu and it doesn't bother you in the notification bar...think about it
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I still believe this would be a great addition to the menu at the top
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

See here (or better yet, could a mod merge the threads and delete this post )