Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    These are the steps I use to get rid of tweaks/patches/ bad installs/ themes /incomplete removals of the above. SOME PEOPLE DON'T BELIEVE IN MY METHODS BUT THIS IS HOW I GET IT DONE WHEN PATCHES ARE STUCK IN MY PHONE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM DON'T USE THEM. PATCHES DO GET STUCK. (SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY DON'T) THESE WILL GET YOU FIXED UP.

Please use caution when doing step #2. It is going to remove whichever file from your phone. Chances are you were about to Doctor your phone when you got to this post. If that is true than might as well try to follow these steps.

1) use webos quick install and go to tools/ device management/ look through the applications and also patches drop down menus on the upper right. tweaks/patches MAY be in both places. don't worry if an error come up while removing. it will most likely remove it anyway. this works best when Preware say you have the patch installed but gives an error and will not allow removal. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-01-a.html or latest version

2) Use quick install to try to Re-install the patch. if you get an error saying the file path already exists. write down that really long file name (path). go to tools -> delete file/directory -> choose "directory" and type it file path names. click delete. could be more than one error per path do this to each error. If your scared skip this step. If you have lost all hope. do it.

3) Run Preware or Quick Install's "EPR" Emergency Patch Recovery. it can be found on the preware app under linux applications. or just go to list of everything and type in the name. this will get rid of all patches. you will install it than remove it. it's very quick. Remove all themes before running this. If you still have problems continue on.

4) Do step #3 and remove any patches / themes that you can before this step. Run webOS repair utility. when you start the app go under options and pick "override compatibility". This will get rid of all tweek/ patches/ errors and put you back to stock 1.xx without messing up any of your personal files. if you don't chose override compatibility the program will skip over your tweeks and not fix them. when you run the program be sure to choose to fix whatever it finds so that you don't leave anything on there that could be causing an error. even if you think it is working fine http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html (make sure that RU has been updated for the latest software update) i think it's good to do this step from time to time to get a freash feeling phone. kinda like giving your software a shower.

5) go into the launcher and "device info" at the bottom click "reset options" and do a partial erase. you will loose any apps you have but they will automatically download back for you. except for homebrew. you will also have to re-login to ALL of your accounts. including palm profile.

6) run webos doctor. Puts you back a software 1.x.x erases some things also, new fresh phone though

these steps will get you fixed up. i suggest that you only load patches/ tweaks from one source. preware or quick install from now on. just makes things easier.
    Last edited by drewjohn; 02/18/2010 at 08:08 AM.
    labacci likes this.
    You shouldn't get corrupt patches unless modifications are made outside of autopatch technology. EPR will remove all patches and patch packages that use autopatch technology.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    ive had either corrupt installs or uninstalls that caused patches that did not work on phone but would not install show up in applications like stated above . why i dont know but when i uninstalled from there all was good.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    it does happen. sometime preware doesn't know you have patches installed and wont let you remove them. just look at the post on this site. every other one is someone saying "help i can't remove patch".

that's why i wrote this so i hopefully i could stop seeing that post over and over.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    yea I have had this problem too.. I did everything possible and finally worked with the repair utility override.. I accidentally interrupted a patch removal and installation and couldn't get me virtual keyboard back up. All is good now
  6.    #6  
    i wish this was a sticky because soooo many people ask for this everyday.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    To manually remove them if you can't automatically with Preware or WebOSQI:

sudo /var/usr/bin/patch -R -p1
    -d / < /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.xxx/xxx.patch (replace xxx with patch name

Obviously this won't automatically remove any directory's, but will reverse any patches that for some reason don't show up in either Preware or WebOSQI patch categories.
    Will Preware Emergency Patch Removal remove a theme?

I know how to remove themes but I can't get Happy Halloween off as it doesn't show up in installed packages. Was installed with Preware. Also does Preware Emergency Patch Removal remove patches installed by Quick Install too.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    Will Preware Emergency Patch Removal remove a theme?

I know how to remove themes but I can't get Happy Halloween off as it doesn't show up in installed packages. Was installed with Preware. Also does Preware Emergency Patch Removal remove patches installed by Quick Install too.
    same problem with me. i got some alienware theme app icons stuck when i tried to layer the theme with the NoMoQL theme so the quick launcher was gone. i uninstalled the them using QI but it just reverted back to the alienware theme. so it thinks thats my default theme.
    what should i do? go in individually and change my theme to look like the default theme? HELP
  10.    #10  
    you could try the emergency patch removal if it doesn't work the repair utility will do it for sure.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    DO NOT RUN EPR WITH A THEME!!!

I read in several post not to run the epr with the themes because several themes have altered certain scripts that also involve patches. It can cause thew phone to go crazy as I have learned the hard way. just remove the theme. in preware it should be under installed packages if not listed under themes check unknown packages. alternatively you can uninstall via WOQI
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    These are the steps I use to get rid of tweaks/patches/ bad installs/ themes /incomplete removals of the above. Do in this order. Stop when your phone is fixed. hopefully You shouldn't have to do all of them.

1) use webos quick install and go to tools/ device management/ look through the applications and also patches drop down menus on the upper right. tweaks/patches will be in both places. don't worry if an error come up while removing. it will remove it anyway. this works best when Preware say you have the patch installed but gives an error and will not allow removal.

2) run preware "emergency patch removal". it can be found on the preware app under linux applications. or just go to list of everything and type in the name. this will get rid of all patches. you will install it than remove it. it's very quick. if you still have problems continue on.

3) run web os repair utility. when you start the app go under options and pick override compatibility. This will get rid of all tweek/ patches/ errors and put you back to stock 1.2.1 without messing up any of your personal files. if you don't chose override compatibility the program will skip over your tweeks and not fix them. when you run the program be sure to choose to fix whatever it finds so that you don't leave anything on there that could be causing an error. even if you think it is working fine.http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html

4) run webos doctor. Puts you back a 1.2.1 erases some things also.

these steps will get you fixed up. i suggest that you only load patches/ tweaks from one source. preware or quick install from now on.
    Thank you thank you thank you! i searched for hours ans hours, literally, for information to fix my phone. I was not able to get a previous Theme all the way removed and nothing would work till I did these steps. I got it removed and was able to add a new one and it WORKED! I had soooo many files messed up after running the last program. Keep up the good work and I love that I can forward my messages now. Something so simple and they cant even include it in the updates. Your that man!!!!!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enm2307 View Post
    DO NOT RUN EPR WITH A THEME!!!

I read in several post not to run the epr with the themes because several themes have altered certain scripts that also involve patches. It can cause thew phone to go crazy as I have learned the hard way. just remove the theme. in preware it should be under installed packages if not listed under themes check unknown packages. alternatively you can uninstall via WOQI
    in regards to your lesson, how does one fix a pre after running epr with a theme?

before anyone starts: I was scrolling through apps in Preware and I thought EPR would be a useful app to have in case of emergencies. I didn't think it would run immediately -_-
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    in regards to your lesson, how does one fix a pre after running epr with a theme?

before anyone starts: I was scrolling through apps in Preware and I thought EPR would be a useful app to have in case of emergencies. I didn't think it would run immediately -_-
    I won't start. Run WebOS Repair Utility (step 3). Make sure you enable override compatibility.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help, but unfortunately it didn't work and i had to use WebOS Doctor.
    Oh well i guess a fresh phone isn't bad :P
    This saved me from doing WebOSDoctor. And this topic NEEDS to be a STICKY please
    These are the steps I use to get rid of tweaks/patches/ bad installs/ themes /incomplete removals of the above. Do in this order. Stop when your phone is fixed. hopefully You shouldn't have to do all of them.

1) use webos quick install and go to tools/ device management/ look through the applications and also patches drop down menus on the upper right. tweaks/patches MAY be in both places. don't worry if an error come up while removing. it will most likely remove it anyway. this works best when Preware say you have the patch installed but gives an error and will not allow removal. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v2-96-a.html
    My main problem is that Preware AND WOSQI says that i do not have the patch installed but it's actually installed.
    This happen out of no where after using both preware and WOSQI. it's not even due to update of webos version!
    please help to fix preware or WOSQI to show the correct patches installed!!

2) use quick install to try to reinstall the patch. if you get an error saying the file path already exists. write down that file name (path). go to tools -> delete file/directory -> choose directory and type it file path names. click delete.

i am having difficulity finding the file path names. does the path point to where the patch is? cos i don't see it!
    I'm trying to use the repair utility and as it's restoring each file, i get an error message that says: "Error 5: Connection Refused: Connect"
    In the results box it does say "User restored file" But I'm not seeing a change. I re-read the instructions several times so I don't know what I could be missing here.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    romg, thanks for posting this, was soo irritated with this and was not sure what was going on even after webosdoctor
    Thanks.
    To Honor With Dignity- USAF Honor Guard
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast