Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    EDIT: i just noticed that you were the second person to post on this post. Do you think this post would still be going if you were correct back then? Well, you were wrong then and you are wrong now.
    I strongly disagree that I was "wrong"...

"Stuck" patches from the old APT technology were due to actions outside of APT. After the move to media partition for apps in 1.3.5, this created stuck patches after a doctor as well. However my post was prior to that change in WebOS. Patches are never going to be flawless, they are by nature a sticky subject. There is use for a detailed FAQ and my goal was to help you make your suggestions robust and accurate. Step 2 for instance is incredibly vague and confusing to most users that aren't familiar with the technology.

these steps are anything but outdated. These steps work! I posted this because10, 20, 30 people are asking everyday how to remove stuck patches. This is how it's done plain and simple. These steps will save you from going to the doctor. I get on post after post where people are saying "I'm about to doctor my phone help." If you were about to do it anyway than you might as well try these first. Furthermore step #2 is the most effective step from fixing stuck patches. (that is why i put it in bold.) i will add a disclaimer if you think it is needed but for people on their last resort i don't think it will run them off.
    Step 2 is extremely vague and confusing to a lot of users. As evidenced above a poster removed a Palm WebOS stock file from putting him in an unnecessary situation that requires a doctor. I think 30 people a day is a gross exaggeration. A vague and generic guide to removing "stuck" patches is bound for failure because there are many cases where the instructions are flat out wrong. Now AUPT protects against many of the issues with unsupported steps such as the ones you detailed.

I've only been "Thanked" 25 times on this post. That is proof in itself that this method works. If you don't want to use them than no one is making you. However, others with no other place to go for information need these steps to fix their phone.
    You do realize that I wrote the patch scripts right and am not just a user requesting help. I know what patches do, how they are installed, why they may get stuck, how to recover etc... Just because these steps worked for SOME people doesn't mean they are good advice for everyone.

QI used to have a bug where packages would be removed even when prerm fails. One of your fixing steps is to expose this bug as a feature. Just because prerm fails doesn't mean it's a "stuck" patch. There may be some patches that can't remove because of an order dependency for instance and require another patch to be removed first.

By forceably removing package data even when prerm fails you create many situations where patches are still applied but the package data has been removed.

You suggest using QI 2.96 which is not AUPT compatible and should NOT be used. You vaguely suggest to remove files/directories without being absolutely certain that it is safe to do so. You list EPR as a step before the step to remove themes first, while EPR clearly states to remove theme first.

When people don't want to doctor and they start trying things and mixing and matching stuff they find on a public forum then get into really weird states, that just makes it much more difficult for me in support.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Well, I got everything off. I took drastic steps but it worked for me. I had patches that I left on by mistake when I did the last webos update, just simply forgot. I could not get preware or webosqi to recognize that I did not have these. So,

I backed up everything on my pc from USB on the Pre

I sent myself an email with my notes copied onto it, so I could re-copy it from my email back to my notes

My Calender and Contacts are all on google

I turned off my backup and erased the backup

I did a full erase from system info

Signed in with my profile, and to stop the app restoring I put it in airplane mode.

I than webos doctored my pre

signed back in through profile and allowed the apps to be restored that I got off the Official App Catalog - will not restore anything from preware or webosqi

synced my google calender and contacts and copied from my email my notes back onto the pre

Put preware back on with the package manager using PrewareInstaller-0.9.18, and got the package manager from webosqi

AND IT WORKED. I no longer have those patches showing up on preware that I had prior to the last update of WEBOS that I stupidly forgot to take off before I updated.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but after like lots and lots of hours trying not to have to doctor, than doctoring and still patches, this step processed seems to have worked. I read somewhere here at precentral the complete erase trick, so whom ever came up with that. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
    I tried removing and adding patches thru preware and I get-

Patch
    Error Removing: See IPKG Log

and

Patch
    Error Installing: See IPKG Log

Anyway to fix this? Any help would be appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy08 View Post
    I tried removing and adding patches thru preware and I get-

Patch
    Error Removing: See IPKG Log

and

Patch
    Error Installing: See IPKG Log

Anyway to fix this? Any help would be appreciated
    You need to post the error itself from IPKG Log
    ^reading the first post would help too.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Bah!
    Okay I just got 3 patches stuck at once.
    ~ 15px Font
    ~ Timestamp Clean
    ~ Enter key for new line.

PW says they are gone but gives error upon reinstall attempt.
    QI states they are removed and will reinstall them. I then uninstalled through QI and they are still stuck.
    Not getting errors through QI so I can't manually enter the code as originally stated.

What is the next ideal step to take?
    (I was hoping there is something to try before EPR..?)

..and for some reason Repair Utility is getting hung up within 5sec of scanning and will not progress to the point of giving the option to even click on the first prompt to 'fix/fix all'..?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well,, I am following your suggestion.. I hope this works. I have been screwing around with all the steps, and I must use the doctor.. The Mac osx theme did a nice job on my phones top bar, and I have three patches that will not leave..
    Hope it works
    Due to an uncaught error in the autobuilder during package generation of patches, combined with a somewhat faulty assumption in AUPT logic, ANY patch installed prior to 2/13 will not remove correctly. I will fix AUPT and once the fix is in you should be able re-install and remove correctly. No drastic steps are required yet, unless there is a WebOS update before I implement the fix.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alltrippy View Post
    Well, I got everything off. I took drastic steps but it worked for me. I had patches that I left on by mistake when I did the last webos update, just simply forgot. I could not get preware or webosqi to recognize that I did not have these. So,

I backed up everything on my pc from USB on the Pre

I sent myself an email with my notes copied onto it, so I could re-copy it from my email back to my notes

My Calender and Contacts are all on google

I turned off my backup and erased the backup

I did a full erase from system info

Signed in with my profile, and to stop the app restoring I put it in airplane mode.

I than webos doctored my pre

signed back in through profile and allowed the apps to be restored that I got off the Official App Catalog - will not restore anything from preware or webosqi

synced my google calender and contacts and copied from my email my notes back onto the pre

Put preware back on with the package manager using PrewareInstaller-0.9.18, and got the package manager from webosqi

AND IT WORKED. I no longer have those patches showing up on preware that I had prior to the last update of WEBOS that I stupidly forgot to take off before I updated.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but after like lots and lots of hours trying not to have to doctor, than doctoring and still patches, this step processed seems to have worked. I read somewhere here at precentral the complete erase trick, so whom ever came up with that. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
    Great STEP BY STEP GUIDE Great STEP BY STEP GUIDE Great STEP BY STEP GUIDE
    THE ONLY THING THAT REMOVES ALL leftover crap.......

I also USED the Doctor ver. that erased all files... I think ver. 1.3.1 or before... then updated to current.. Thank u ALLTRIPPY
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    Due to an uncaught error in the autobuilder during package generation of patches, combined with a somewhat faulty assumption in AUPT logic, ANY patch installed prior to 2/13 will not remove correctly. I will fix AUPT and once the fix is in you should be able re-install and remove correctly. No drastic steps are required yet, unless there is a WebOS update before I implement the fix.
    egaudet,

Just for everyone's clarification, the drastic steps that have been posted throughout this thread shouldn't be done due to possible deletion of some core files and if installing/removing a patch throws an error such as:
    An error occured while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh
    The best solution would be to wait for your updated AUPT.

Correct?

Thanks for the information and look forward to the new release/fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinman View Post
    egaudet,

Just for everyone's clarification, the drastic steps that have been posted throughout this thread shouldn't be done due to possible deletion of some core files and if installing/removing a patch throws an error such as:
    An error occured while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh
    The best solution would be to wait for your updated AUPT.

Correct?

Thanks for the information and look forward to the new release/fix.
    AUPT has already been updated.

-Eric G

Donate
  12.    #52  
    I strongly disagree that I was "wrong"...

"You do realize that I wrote the patch scripts right and am not just a user requesting help. I know what patches do, how they are installed, why they may get stuck, how to recover etc... Just because these steps worked for SOME people doesn't mean they are good advice for everyone.
    you are welcome to create your own post and if i think it's any good i will put a link up on my first post to your post. Otherwise i think this is the best way to do things at this point.

You suggest using QI 2.96 which is not AUPT compatible and should NOT be used. You vaguely suggest to remove files/directories without being absolutely certain that it is safe to do so. You list EPR as a step before the step to remove themes first, while EPR clearly states to remove theme first.
    i don't suggest that anyone use any certain version. i can't update this post everytime someone updates their software. i'm just giving links to the lastest software i see. when i come across a newer version i change the link.
    i don't suggest that anyone use any certain version. i can't update this post everytime someone updates their software. i'm just giving links to the lastest software i see. when i come across a newer version i change the link.
    Your first post STILL links to QI 2.96 in step 1... Anything prior to QI 3.01 is incompatible with AUPT. If you believe you should not keep it up to date with the current status of the system then you should not post it on a public forum as suggestions for users. When users get into screwy situations after following unsupported suggestions, it is not you who they go to for support.

-Eric G

Donate
    Otherwise i think this is the best way to do things at this point.

First, do you not know he is? I THINK it's much more likely that he knows the BEST way rather than yourself. Just my honest opinion.

Second, if you can't keep your post up to date with 100% accurate information you should delete it before it causes people more headaches and issues with their phones.

I personally don't agree with the information posted, I think a Moderator should take a look at this.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    First, do you not know he is? I THINK it's much more likely that he knows the BEST way rather than yourself. Just my honest opinion.

Second, if you can't keep your post up to date with 100% accurate information you should delete it before it causes people more headaches and issues with their phones.

I personally don't agree with the information posted, I think a Moderator should take a look at this.
    First of all it doesn't matter who you are. If you're wrong your wrong. Patches get stuck. we all know that this is true. this stuff works to get them off. it's what i use and i've had to use it many times.

Second let me take a look at every post you have posted and see if everything is up to date months later. you both can give me a list and i will search them for information that may have changed a little. I have other things to do beside update everyone one of my post everyday.

if he know the BEST way than he can post his steps on it this the way I do it and it WORKS! IF YOU DON'T AGREE THAN STAY OFF MY POST
    Last edited by drewjohn; 02/17/2010 at 02:21 PM.
  16.    #56  
    Your first post STILL links to QI 2.96 in step 1... Anything prior to QI 3.01 is incompatible with AUPT. If you believe you should not keep it up to date with the current status of the system then you should not post it on a public forum as suggestions for users. When users get into screwy situations after following unsupported suggestions, it is not you who they go to for support.
    same as above. give me a list of all your post and i'll search them for outdated links. it's not my fault jason changed his link and left his out of date post up instead of deleting it.

"oh i can believe Jason would leave outdated information on here." "we should have the moderator take jason's post down"

From the looks of things you have enough problems with out tying to hijack my post. You should prob pay attention to your post and answer question over there so people don't need this post.

If you would like to help and answer people questions over here than go for it. you seem to know everything so tell some people how to get these patches off. You don't like my methods but you have not done anything but hate on me. Not one word of advice to help anyone on here this post. I'm trying to help poeple. Get with the program or leave this post alone!

Patches get stuck. This stuff works! people need it. End of story!
    Last edited by drewjohn; 02/17/2010 at 02:08 PM.
    same as above. give me a list of all your post and i'll search them for outdated links. it's not my fault jason changed his link and left his out of date post up instead of deleting it.

"oh i can believe Jason would leave outdated information on here." "we should have the moderator take jason's post down"

From the looks of things you have enough problems with out tying to hijack my post. You should prob pay attention to your post and answer question over there so people don't need this post.

If you would like to help and answer people questions over here than go for it. you seem to know everything so tell some people how to get these patches off. You don't like my methods but you have not done anything but hate on me. Not one word of advice to help anyone on here this post. I'm trying to help poeple. Get with the program or leave this post alone!

Patches get stuck. This stuff works! people need it. End of story!
    I don't know where the hostility is coming from. I don't expect every post to everyone ever makes to be 100% accurate and up to date.

However I don't think it is unfair to ask that the first post of a thread on the first page of a forum that instructs users to follow certain procedure is accurate, up to date and has a proper warning on dangerous steps.

Thanks for updating it.

-Eric G

Donate
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. This has been driving me crazy for a week!
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsecunda View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. This has been driving me crazy for a week!
    Another satisfied customer!
  20.    #60  

Thanks for updating it.
    I changed it a little more so i hope we can all play nice now.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast