Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    This makes a *huge* difference in DrPodder's download podcast performance. (on my wifi connection, went from 64kb/sec normally to ~800kb/sec using this patch - a 200mb podcast downloads in about 2 minutes now - down from 20 minutes..). It should also speed up larger application downloads from the app store. (it won't help the lag, install the fair den* hack for that, but it'll speedup the actual download)

To apply, use webos quick install latest. Unzip this file, then drag it to the main WebOS Quick Install window, and hit install.

Try to download a podcast from DrPodder. Mark the speed. Apply this patch then reboot your pre. Re-download a similar sized from DrPodder - should be much faster if you're using wifi.
    -mark

ps - The download manager might be the same as what's used for the browser using the browser download patch - can someone test?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by diomark; 10/21/2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Will this affect other applications or functions, or just DrPodder?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    Will this affect other applications or functions, or just DrPodder?
    It'll effect whatever apps use the palm download manager. I know for sure it speeds up DrPodder and the App Store downloads - it might speedup the browser downloads when using the browser download patch (but I haven't tested the browser)

-mark
    Trying to DL it now.
    Wow. Makes a big difference. Images load faster in Preware, maps load faster in Google Maps. Thats all I've tried but I have definately noticed a difference. I'm on wifi. Gonna try on regular 3G now see if it improves there too.
    bulik likes this.
    I do notice 3G is working a bit faster, but maybe its just a placebo effect.
    Thanks again Mark. Glad you could get your first patch and appropriate credit. I'm assuming this will be popular.

Can you clarify (based on the couple of your posts related to this in DrPodder thread):

Does the patch just add the new "/etc/palm/download.conf" file or does it also change the download settings in /etc/palm/luna.conf.

In other words, to remove this, we would just delete the /etc/palm/download.conf and we'd go back to default settings?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Thanks again Mark. Glad you could get your first patch and appropriate credit. I'm assuming this will be popular.

Can you clarify (based on the couple of your posts related to this in DrPodder thread):

Does the patch just add the new "/etc/palm/download.conf" file or does it also change the download settings in /etc/palm/luna.conf.

In other words, to remove this, we would just delete the /etc/palm/download.conf and we'd go back to default settings?

Thanks
    The patch adds a new /etc/palm/download.conf. This file didn't exist on my phone - does it exist for anyone? (the patch would just fail if the file was there, so should be safe to run either way - although it wouldn't work if the file is already in place)

-mark
    Huge improvements in speed all over the board. Great job and thanks again.
    Does this speed up the calendar too?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    @sir_mycoft

I never use the calender, but it seems to be pulling up almost instantly. Switching from day/month/year is very speedy as well.
    So why wouldn't Palm do this? What harm is there in allowing the faster download speed for a Stock Pre?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I'm actually a little confused w/ the feedback. As far as I know, this should only effect items that go through the Palm Download Manager. I don't think it's supposed to effect the calendar/google maps/etc. (although it's possible that they also adhere to this 'speed limit' that's set by default..)

-mark
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Wow Google Maps, Calendar and even web browsing to some extent seems mucch snappier. I've only used it on Wifi so far so I'll report back on 3G.

EDIT: I did a speedtest on mobilespeedtest.com and hit 14 Mbits/s which is about my ISP's speed here, I repeated it and it varied - but it's definitely a good sign!

I was playing music and when the speedtest started up, my music started lagging pretty good - never noticed this until the patch was applied.

3G speeds seems faster as well in Calendar loading/ Google Maps. Youtube is loads faster. Pandora skips faster. Awesome patch!
    Last edited by wkalam2; 10/21/2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    So why wouldn't Palm do this? What harm is there in allowing the faster download speed for a Stock Pre?
    I believe the speedlimit also governs how fast things download over EVDO. Sprint might have wanted them to throttle it down a bit. (to 64kb/sec vs. the maximum that you can really get w/ sprint which is 2 or 3x that..)

Another guess is that in WebOS 1.1 - it was slowing things down too much to go full speed. (the download speed hack worked in 1.1 - but the pre was ulmost unsuably slow while downloading things. WebOS 1.2 fixed this tho and I don't notice a performance hit while downloading w/ this hack vs. without - except obviously downloads are much snappier and finish faster)

Just a guess.. It was slowing down WIFI downloads by a factor of 10+ for me tho.
    -m
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    very cool, much speedier on wifi
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    This patch makes MyTether run at full speed on Wifi using a USB Connection. Before it would max out at ~4000 kbit/sec now it goes over 10000 the upload is increased too. I also noticed i'm able to use the browser on my phone simultaneously while using MyTether from a 3G source.
    I am not a developer, so this may be an irrelevant question... will this patch play well with the two memory patches recently created to adjust memory partitions and enable more cards open?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    I am not a developer, so this may be an irrelevant question... will this patch play well with the two memory patches recently created to adjust memory partitions and enable more cards open?
    Unrelated, so yes.
    -m
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Unrelated, so yes.
    -m
    Good looking out! Downloading now!
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast