Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Change View Post
    Well, I was anticipating great things for this patch, and it hasn't done anythnig for me. No measurable speed increase since applying it and rebooting. I was getting about 1080kbps pre install (testmyiphone.com I think) and now I appear to be getting about 480kbps on the same test after applying the patch.

I suppose I will run EPR and retest.
    Were you on Wifi or EVDO or 1xRTT...? It matters (a lot).

Most people who have observed a great increase in speed have been on WIFI -- myself included using speakeasy mobile speed test. I think some have mentioned some improvement on EVDO, though I can't remember if folks have reported tested download results. Finally, I can't imagine there would be much observable / test proven speed improvement on 1x.
    I manually loaded the patch via WebOS...I would prefer to manage this patch via Preware. How to I uninstall this patch so I can install via Preware?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    I manually loaded the patch via WebOS...I would prefer to manage this patch via Preware. How to I uninstall this patch so I can install via Preware?
    No need - if you installed it via webos quick install, you can unload it via preware.

-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    No need - if you installed it via webos quick install, you can unload it via preware.

-mark
    I was actually about to uninstall via WebOS QI and reinstall with Preware when I read your post...

I presumed when your patch arrived via the Preware channel, it would reflect that it was already installed on my Pre. Not the case. I presume that any future updates (if needed) will be done via the Internals Patch Repository so I'd prefer to install via Preware to know if / when there are updates? Is this logical?

If so (and if this is what others are observing in Preware), then the way to uninstall the patch via WebOS Quick Install is by selecting "Device Management" from the Tools dropdown menu. Then select "Patches" from the User-Installed Content panel, then check the box next to "downloadmanagerSpeedup" (see note below) and choose "Uninstall" button. Finally, as always (to be safe, it's best to do a soft reset Orange-Sym-R. I'm not sure a Luna restart is good enough for this one. Diomark??) After reboot, it should be ok to re-install the patch via the Preware patch feed.

Note: my early version of the patch is called "downloadmanagerSpeedup" in WebOS QI. (not sure if the patch name / versioning changed from the one I took early on from the patch thread).
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I was actually about to uninstall via WebOS QI and reinstall with Preware when I read your post...

I presumed when your patch arrived via the Preware channel, it would reflect that it was already installed on my Pre. Not the case. I presume that any future updates (if needed) will be done via the Internals Patch Repository so I'd prefer to install via Preware to know if / when there are updates? Is this logical?

If so (and if this is what others are observing in Preware), then the way to uninstall the patch via WebOS Quick Install is by selecting "Device Management" from the Tools dropdown menu. Then select "Patches" from the User-Installed Content panel, then check the box next to "downloadmanagerSpeedup" (see note below) and choose "Uninstall" button. Finally, as always (to be safe, it's best to do a soft reset Orange-Sym-R. I'm not sure a Luna restart is good enough for this one. Diomark??) After reboot, it should be ok to re-install the patch via the Preware patch feed.

Note: my early version of the patch is called "downloadmanagerSpeedup" in WebOS QI. (not sure if the patch name / versioning changed from the one I took early on from the patch thread).
    My understanding was that webosqi patches could be removed via preware, but I could be wrong. The download manager might be running in the java process (and not luna itself) - but if you're just removing/reinstalling via preware, it shouldn't effect anything not to reboot since all the patch does is create a download.conf file - which will be read the *next* time you reboot and have the same end result.. (i.e. no real reason to reboot between removing/reinstalling)

-mark
    This patch is awesome; I love how well Pandora works now that it can download songs at full speed!

This should also help increase battery life; if the radio is on for less time downloading the next song in Pandora, it'll probably use that much less power. We shall see!
    If you installed via webOSQI, you can uninstall via Preware by going to Installed Packages > Unknown

I concur that the patch does not show up in preware under installed patches if applied via WebOS QI.

Thanks for the instructions...I was having a id10t error, must have looked past the "downloadmanagerSpeedup" patch 10 times.

1. Removed via WEBOS QI
    2. Rebooted
    3. Installed via Preware

Thanks for the help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    If you installed via webOSQI, you can uninstall via Preware by going to Installed Packages > Unknown
    Thanks. Learning something new every day. Very helpful. I love WebOS QI for adding patches which aren't Preware ready yet, but ideally, I'd prefer to keep it simple and do all of my patchwork through Preware once new patches are streamlined into the feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    My understanding was that webosqi patches could be removed via preware, but I could be wrong. The download manager might be running in the java process (and not luna itself) - but if you're just removing/reinstalling via preware, it shouldn't effect anything not to reboot since all the patch does is create a download.conf file - which will be read the *next* time you reboot and have the same end result.. (i.e. no real reason to reboot between removing/reinstalling)

-mark
    Thanks Mark. I really wasn't sure about the restart - but I figured erring on the side of caution couldn't hurt -- especially because I hadn't done it myself yet.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    WEBOSQI patches do show up VIA preware. I initially installed this with WEBOSQI and uninstalled VIA preware and reinstalled. Sometimes the categories get messed up....but it should have been there.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    It's not there for me. Looks like I'll have to uninstall from WebOSQI...
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Were you on Wifi or EVDO or 1xRTT...? It matters (a lot).

Most people who have observed a great increase in speed have been on WIFI -- myself included using speakeasy mobile speed test. I think some have mentioned some improvement on EVDO, though I can't remember if folks have reported tested download results. Finally, I can't imagine there would be much observable / test proven speed improvement on 1x.
    EVDO. My wifi speed was never an issue. I get about 6mbps on speed tests from home on wifi.
    OMG!!! This patch is amazing... I just bought a song from the Amazon store over WiFi and it downloaded in less than 8 seconds... Damn... that is a HUGE difference. Thank you for this!
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    EVDO. My wifi speed was never an issue. I get about 6mbps on speed tests from home on wifi.
    This isn't meant to help your tethering speed (although it won't hurt it either..)

-m
    I have noticed a huge difference in downloading just about everything with this patch. As for battery life, i'm not noticing a drop at all. Thanks Dio
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Yeah, I don't know for sure if EVDO is actually faster than it was before the patch. But I can surely say that the patch does help open the file download throttle when I am (at home) on WIFI downloading large file podcasts.

I haven't uninstalled then re-installed and then reinstalled it do a pre / post speed test. Since I'm going to uninstall the WebOS QI installed version and reinstall via Preware anyway, I'll try some speed tests before, in between, and after.

I'll post my results later or tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Yeah, I don't know for sure if EVDO is actually faster than it was before the patch. But I can surely say that the patch does help open the file download throttle when I am (at home) on WIFI downloading large file podcasts.

I haven't uninstalled then re-installed and then reinstalled it do a pre / post speed test. Since I'm going to uninstall the WebOS QI installed version and reinstall via Preware anyway, I'll try some speed tests before, in between, and after.

I'll post my results later or tomorrow.
    If you're removing to test, don't forget to reboot after removing. (otherwise the old property file will be in effect..)

-m
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    WEBOSQI patches do show up VIA preware. I initially installed this with WEBOSQI and uninstalled VIA preware and reinstalled. Sometimes the categories get messed up....but it should have been there.
    That's exactly where it was for me. Nice to know. Just noticed that my other WebOS QI manually installed patches are listed under the "Unknown" category too (as expected) as well as my Palm Catalog installed apps (not really expected, but I guess that makes sense now that I think about it).
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    I have found the phone to behave this way in general depending on /voice/EVDO coverage. I was out and about all Sunday. I used the phone heavily while my wife was shopping in her many fou fou stores.......I got home at 8 that night and I still had about 30% battery left. I surfed and surfed and surfed....

My battery drains fast when I am at work because coverage is pretty spotty. Same thing at home....but fine when I am not at home or at work...
    Yeah, I have similar circumstances at home, and agree with your assessment.. I had begun to think this patch made the drain significantly worse regardless of coverage area quality, but now I'm thinking the drain I've experienced has a lot more to do with coverage than the patch.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    Yeah, I have similar circumstances at home, and agree with your assessment.. I had begun to think this patch made the drain significantly worse regardless of coverage area quality, but now I'm thinking the drain I've experienced has a lot more to do with coverage than the patch.
    It might be a possibility that this patch increases drain on the battery when in an area with low coverage.... or maybe not.
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.