Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    Guys, I posted a comment earlier about battery drain; did everyone just ignore it?

I mentioned that I saw battery drops from doing barely anything with the phone.

I mean, if you think about it, it's to be expected. We are taxing the phone much more than it was meant to be. More speed, more power. So it's a choice of what you want.

I personally favor better battery life.
    No, I probably wouldn't have even noticed the battery change if I hadn't been looking for it because of your post initially...

But it doesn't make sense to me that the phone is being taxed more than it was meant to be when there aren't even applications in use... the patch is lifting a bandwidth throttle, but if there's no data transfer (or at least not much...) occurring, why the extra battery drain?

If the battery is going to drain as fast as it seems to be with the patch installed, I'll favor battery life over speed as well, for sure.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    Nice.. should be interesting. I'd like to be wrong.
    No downloads, no programs but battery monitor, wifi and gps

With Patch
    Initial Battery: 35
    Current Battery: 34
    Runtime: 30m03s
    Drain per Hour%: 2

Without Patch
    Initial Battery: 32
    Current Battery: 31
    Runtime: 30m30s
    Drain per Hour%: 1.97
    Last edited by daventx; 10/23/2009 at 02:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by daventx View Post
    With Patch
    Drain per Hour: 2

Without Patch
    Drain per Hour: 1.97
    Are these numbers done without downloading anything. I think that was one of the questions. If we are not downloading does the pack do anything to battery drain if we are not using it?

I would think there would be more battery drain when using it since we are pulling in more data per second then normal, the CPU is processing more info in a faster time, so that would make sense.

But if we don't download anything, does it drain the battery, so no downloading of anything.

I would do this test.

Turn off the wifi and radio, put it in airplane mode.

Test for 20 minutes.

Then install patch and do the same test with it in airplane mode.

Is there a difference in battery drain?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Are these numbers done without downloading anything. I think that was one of the questions. If we are not downloading does the pack do anything to battery drain if we are not using it?

I would think there would be more battery drain when using it since we are pulling in more data per second then normal, the CPU is processing more info in a faster time, so that would make sense.

But if we don't download anything, does it drain the battery, so no downloading of anything.

I would do this test.

Turn off the wifi and radio, put it in airplane mode.

Test for 20 minutes.

Then install patch and do the same test with it in airplane mode.

Is there a difference in battery drain?

Rob
    The above tests were done with wifi, gps and not downloading anything or doing anything. I'm running it for an hour with the same settings.

I could run the tests using all sorts of settings, the difference would still be patch vs no patch
    I think the issue is that the Palm is an Internet device, so it's always downloading something, checking for email, for me, checking Dr. Podder every few hours, checking Tweed every few min for replies, etc. I'm thinking that just having that floodgate open somehow caused my battery to just empty super fast. I was literally watching it in 30 min time go from 95% to like 82% from literally just getting emails, texting 3-4 times, and putting in a memo.

I'd be interested in more studies to determine if this is really safe. The cap is there for a reason; I'm not sure messing with it is good for the long term life of the Pre, but I'm not a developer, so that's simply an opinion.
    I think the issue is that the Palm is an Internet device, so it's always downloading something, checking for email, for me, checking Dr. Podder every few hours, checking Tweed every few min for replies, etc. I'm thinking that just having that floodgate open somehow caused my battery to just empty super fast. I was literally watching it in 30 min time go from 95% to like 82% from literally just getting emails, texting 3-4 times, and putting in a memo.

I'd be interested in more studies to determine if this is really safe. The cap is there for a reason; I'm not sure messing with it is good for the long term life of the Pre, but I'm not a developer, so that's simply an opinion.
    It makes sense that the pre would only use more power with this patch when its using data. Of course...its a pre... so depending on how much you like to stay connected its generally using data all the time. Im a heavy texter as well, SMS and Gchat. I noticed that while using Gchat on EVDO w the patch installed i was losing 1-2 percent every 3-4 minutes when i got a new IM.

It seems to me like its a full throttle or no throttle deal with the patch. As regardless of what you're using data for its really taxing the battery. I understand it draining quickly with pandora or something similar, but dropping that quickly while just using google chat with the brightness set around 10 isnt worth it to me.

Perhaps after a little further testing to confirm what we're seeing, we could mess around with the download threshold to find a spot that increases speed, w/out putting too much of a strain on battery life, If our assumptions indeed hold true.

Perhaps there could be multiple patch versions? one thats more battery conscious, and then the current full throttle version we have now if you keep your phone plugged up a lot.
    Double Post. Odd that mine did it right after lawilson2 did as well... forum glitch?
    Last edited by Goofy Footr; 10/23/2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Double Post
    I'm 40 minutes into the no patch test. So in 1.5 hrs i'll post the results

@ Goofy Footr: What would be great to have a app with 3-5 settings to adjust the data. If i'm sitting around where i can charge it, full power. If i'm out and about, back it off.
    That would be great lol. But where, as i understand it at least, we're making changes to what is basically the equivalent to the registry on a windows device, and it requires a luna restart each time it is changed, i think an app that complicated would take some time.

Im no linux expert by any means, so i dont know though. We can dream.

With Patch
    Drain per Hour: 2

Without Patch
    Drain per Hour: 1.97
    Not bad at all... It could easily be that my awful reception coming in and out of my apt. building / parking garage / elevator caused my battery to drop as much as it did. The patch may have had nothing to do with it. Seems likely.

It would be great to be able to toggle this patch on or off easily.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

@ Goofy Footr: What would be great to have a app with 3-5 settings to adjust the data. If i'm sitting around where i can charge it, full power. If i'm out and about, back it off.
    Yes. That would be perfect.
    Xenoc

this is after i installed the patch 7 hrs ago. i have the data gps and wifi radio on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Footr View Post
    That would be great lol. But where, as i understand it at least, we're making changes to what is basically the equivalent to the registry on a windows device, and it requires a luna restart each time it is changed, i think an app that complicated would take some time.

Im no linux expert by any means, so i dont know though. We can dream.
    Well, with linux you can start and some just some services.. without restarting the whole system. Kinda like windows too, and its services. So maybe if we can get someone more knowledgeable on this post they can answer if there is some sort of download services or connection service that can be restarted. Hell, maybe even doing a airplane on/off would reread the settings (if someone wants to test that, just edit the file manually using VI... then test connections speeds) I have 50 minutes still to test.

Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    this is after i installed the patch 7 hrs ago. i have the data gps and wifi radio on.
    is that with serious usage? or just sitting around?
    light browsing testing the patch with google maps and three phonecalls about 7 emails retrieved and same with texts

With Patch
    Initial Battery: 26
    Current Battery: 24
    Runtime: 1h4m43s
    Drain per Hour%: 1.85

Without Patch
    Initial Battery: 30
    Current Battery: 29
    Runtime: 1h0m39s
    Drain per Hour% : .99

Well.. thats definitely a jump in Drain per Hour%.

I'll run the hour tests again.. maybe tomorrow.. unless someone else is really bored, and compare results.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Excellent speed increase! On wifi mobile speedtest went to 4.4mps at 500 k file and over 5.6 mps for the 2 meg files test. On EVDO getting 900kbs and over 1mps for the same tests. And I notice a definite increase with the Calendar as well (because of the syncing with Google?).
    Thanks!
    Very curious on this patch and want to try this on my EU 1.1.3 Pre, however as some have said patching this on a 1.1.x will literally bring my system to a crawl? Anyone confirm this?

I dont mind being the guinea pig on this if it means i can remove without any adverse side-effects =P.

Battery life is an issue too, might ba an idea to test with all gps/wifi/bluetooth, im, mail syncing to manual, tweed, other background services relying on data off?
    When will this be making it to PreWare?
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I did my own little test while at work today. (wifi on but not connected) - moderate usage including 20 or so emails and light browsing/ app store browsing/downsloads/and one manual podcast download. My battery usage seems to be hovering betw 6-7%/hr.

-mark
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast