Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
    fantastic work. Thanks very much. It does beg the questions. If this code does not break any "laws", why wouldn't some of this be in the base OS?
    This really does appear to be a bug. I verified the strings dump of the download manager referencing this file and that the patch is a simple standard patch that creates this file. There is no mystery to this one, it really must be a miss on Palm's part.

-Rick
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsperko View Post
    This really does appear to be a bug. I verified the strings dump of the download manager referencing this file and that the patch is a simple standard patch that creates this file. There is no mystery to this one, it really must be a miss on Palm's part.

-Rick
    True.. but webos 1.1 did reference luna.conf (where the settings are limited to 64kbs/sec..)

So at some point Palm did limit this, for whatever reason. The only thing I can think of is so that the Pre doesn't use too much of a cellular provider's bandwidth.. (but then again, it kills wifi speed too )

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    Do you all leave Developer Mode on 24/7? I've been wary of doing it since it states it's a security risk.

Reason I'm asking is that I have to enable Dev mode & reboot anytime I want to add a great patch or app like this and then disable it, reboot, etc.

Can't wait to try!
    Probably shouldn't be, but I do leave it on 24/7.
    -m
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vicvon View Post
    It certainly appears as though the Palm guys working on WebOS are just not as familiar with linux as these guys are. Perhaps Palm should hire some of the great folks on here to fix the problems.
    Highly unlikely that they are not familiar with Linux. It might have something to do with the memory leaks.
    I noticed a higher battery drain today. Is it possible this patch is causing that? I have the % patch and I could see the numbers drop 10% and higher per hour with little to no use, sometimes more. Thoughts?

I took the patch off until I see if that's the issue.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    THis is amazing.

I was skeptical a few weeks ago when everyone "noticed" how much faster the Pre operated with the OS updgrade. It seemed possible, but I wasn't totally convinced.

This patch, however, is a game-changer. Haven't tried Podder or Youtube yet, but the first thing I looked at was the Calendar. YIPPEE. That sluggish piece of crap almost had me skipping my phone across a lake and buying an iphone. Now, as the previous poster says, it's usable. Maps is great too, really fast.

I'm holding my breath a little bit, I mean it seems like turning on free electricity or something. I am but a caveman end user, I don't understand the OS the way you rocket scientists do. So I'll trust it won't autogenerate nigerian phishmail to all my contacts. Instead, huge thumbs up and thanks on this one. Patch of the year?
    after a reboot this morning and some drpodder downloads I did notice the incredible speed boost. Podcasts download in mere seconds instead of a minute or 2.
    well I just applied this and but first ran speedtests without and then with. I'm getting faster speeds 3g without it than I am with it on. Also utube freezes etc. How do I take this off
    seriously how do I remove this. I get 650kb with this on and 1000 with it off
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightmaraude View Post
    seriously how do I remove this. I get 650kb with this on and 1000 with it off
    You should be able to just remove the patch in preware of webos QI and reboot.

(I doubt it's related to the issues you're seeing tho - but then again,I haven't tested it w/ tethering..)
    -m
    Last edited by diomark; 10/22/2009 at 07:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    will preware get thiz patch?
    Downloaded the patch. Pandora much faster on EVDO. Google maps renders very fast on EVDO. Web browsing seems the same... maybe just a few secs faster. App catalog is much faster. Preware is faster...but still slow lol. This is all on EVDO.

On wifi pandora doesnt seem AS fast. same with all other apps. however this may be due to the wifi where im at being fairly slow.

Im currently watching the battery drain as im testing all of this. I dont wanna say that its causing a faster drop... as i usually dont put my phone through the data ringer like this, but its not looking good. dropped from 97% to 87% in prob less than 15 mins. ill keep watching it and post back.

EDIT: ok, 25 mins since last post im at 74 % now and all im doing is streaming pandora over wifi. Seems like its dropping a bit faster than normal.
    Last edited by Goofy Footr; 10/22/2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: To...save... a...post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Footr View Post
    Im currently watching the battery drain as im testing all of this. I dont wanna say that its causing a faster drop... as i usually dont put my phone through the data ringer like this, but its not looking good. dropped from 97% to 87% in prob less than 15 mins. ill keep watching it and post back.

EDIT: ok, 25 mins since last post im at 74 % now and all im doing is streaming pandora over wifi. Seems like its dropping a bit faster than normal.
    I installed this patch earlier today... I've had it on a touchstone all day, took it off, went to the store down the street (gone for maybe 20 mins) and it went from 100% to 88%. Never even pulled it out of my pocket.

Would be a real shame if this had such a negative impact on battery life as it seems to have...
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Yes it would. My last edit was 10 mins ago and im down to 67% now. So... a 7% drop in ten minutes. Just from streaming pandora.
    Last edited by Goofy Footr; 10/22/2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spellcheck
    Sigh... bummer.

I can't really test again from inside my home because my reception blows, so my battery drops like crazy when off the 'stone anyhow... Maybe I'll take a walk around the block...

Anyone else witnessing battery drain from this? I don't really understand why it would drain the battery when the phone isn't even running any apps, but that's the impression I got from my single test.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    Sigh... bummer.

I can't really test again from inside my home because my reception blows, so my battery drops like crazy when off the 'stone anyhow... Maybe I'll take a walk around the block...

Anyone else witnessing battery drain from this? I don't really understand why it would drain the battery when the phone isn't even running any apps, but that's the impression I got from my single test.
    I'm running battery monitor for 30 min with patch and 30 min without. Later on i'll try an hour with and without, but ill post the 30 min results soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by daventx View Post
    I'm running battery monitor for 30 min with patch and 30 min without. Later on i'll try an hour with and without, but ill post the 30 min results soon.
    Nice.. should be interesting. I'd like to be wrong.
    Xenoc

Guys, I posted a comment earlier about battery drain; did everyone just ignore it?

I mentioned that I saw battery drops from doing barely anything with the phone.

I mean, if you think about it, it's to be expected. We are taxing the phone much more than it was meant to be. More speed, more power. So it's a choice of what you want.

I personally favor better battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by daventx View Post
    Make sure you do tests with no apps running and tests with at least one app streaming data (such as Pandora). Because i noticed if i shut the apps using data down my battery didn't drain as fast, however if i had an app open that used data it dropped at a higher than normal rate with the only benefit being a slightly faster connection.
    I noticed a higher battery drain today. Is it possible this patch is causing that? I have the % patch and I could see the numbers drop 10% and higher per hour with little to no use, sometimes more. Thoughts?

I took the patch off until I see if that's the issue.
    Little to no use? Meaning nothing streaming?

Guys, I posted a comment earlier about battery drain; did everyone just ignore it?

I mentioned that I saw battery drops from doing barely anything with the phone.

I mean, if you think about it, it's to be expected. We are taxing the phone much more than it was meant to be. More speed, more power. So it's a choice of what you want.

I personally favor better battery life.
    The topic kinda changed to everyone talking about power consumption.. so i don't believe anyone was ignoring it, just didn't answer you directly. I agree with your comment completely about if we expect more speed.. more power will be used. I am testing it currently without any usage to see consumption, as i'd rather have the speed when needed and suffer the power for brief periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Footr View Post
    Make sure you do tests with no apps running and tests with at least one app streaming data (such as Pandora). Because i noticed if i shut the apps using data down my battery didn't drain as fast, however if i had an app open that used data it dropped at a higher than normal rate with the only benefit being a slightly faster connection.
    As i kinda mentioned right above, i'm testing it without streaming and normal usage. If it sits idle not using crap loads of power, that fine with me. I was just concerned it was using more power when sitting idle. You can't expect anything to perform better and do more w/o using more power.. it's the basic principle for well.. lots of stuff.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast