Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hi greenawayj.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with the new 'hack'.

I followed your procedure as outlined in post #181, and I can confirm that my WiFi download speeds in drPodder are as fast as previously. Wahoo!!

I'm running 1.3.5.1 on a Pre with Sprint. Never doctored my phone. June vintage.

Have you tried different WiFi sources to confirm it is slow on all of them?
    Other than that, can't really think of much else, sorry.

Regards,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeen View Post
    Hi greenawayj.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with the new 'hack'.

Have you tried different WiFi sources to confirm it is slow on all of them?
    Other than that, can't really think of much else, sorry.
    Thanks Josh. Yeah, I've tried at least 2 or 3 different WIFI connections....

As I had noted back around post #181 (I think), throttled WIFI was one of my first assumptions for why I wasn't seeing the yellow bar zip across the device. Then, I realized I hadn't yet rebooted the phone so I blamed that. Turns out even after many restarts between then and now, I'm still in the same boat. I even used WOSQI yesterday to 'receive' the .conf file from the Pre to confirm it does have DioMark's patch code (and it does). So the .conf file is correct and in the right place.

The only thing I can think of is that some crap left over somewhere by past patching or from prior WOS updates is somehow overriding the download speed setting in the .conf file so that the Pre doesn't actually look to this file at all. I know that makes no sense, but it's the only thing I can come up with.

I've never installed a patch that has anything to do with this functionality or anything closely related. Never installed:
    • tethering app / patch
    • Processor-speed-related patches.
    • Any themes

The only memory-related patches I had previously installed were 'extra cards' and 'lower swap threshhold.' These are not on my device now and and I don't think these could be related. Every one of my other patches are all UI-related patches and shouldn't touch the inner guts of the OS at all.

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm still frustrated and venting, but thanks for your response and if I do figure this out, I'll post here with an update. I haven't doctored since 1.2.0 or so. So, if I have the time and the guts this weekend to Full Reset and DR, I might just do that and see what happens. If I do, this patch willl be #1 on the fresh device... followed by Dr P to check it out.
    Holy Crap. I figured it out – or at least I think I have. Again I can't speak to whether this will address the issue for everyone else having problems, but...

The downloadManager.conf file I had edited with Notepad++ to include DioMark's code somehow had an extra space at the end of "MaxRecvSpeed=-1"
    [General]
    AutoResume=true
    BeAggressive__Bee_Eee_AGGRESSIVE=true
    AppCompatibilityMode=false

#Tested to work with WebOS 1.3.5
    #Mark R (Diomark) 01/04/10
    #unthrottles the download manager from 64kb/sec to unlimited

[DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=-1
    After once again inspecting that file in Notepad++, I noticed that the last line in mine was "MaxRecvSpeed=-1 " I haven't coded in a long, long time (Freshman Fortran in 1994), but do know that syntax is huge -- even down the spacing at times. I figured I'd deleted that space and try it out. I remember when I first created the file, I had cut and pasted the lines of code from one of DioMark's earlier posts, and I must have gotten an extra space in Notepad++ when I pasted it in. In my wildest dreams, I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference, but I suppose it did.

Re-downloading the same file which took 3:55 last night (on the same wifi) took under 70 seconds today. About a 3x-4x increase in speed or 200KB/sec or 1635 kbps.

Anyway, hope this might help others experiencing the same issue. Maybe some of you cut-pasted like I did.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    can someone explain to me what notepad++ is
    and how to 'extract files in extreme detail?

i downloaded this patch awhile ago from preware
    and worked awesome but with recent updates hasn't been working and i would DIE to have it back! lol
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trecrazy View Post

and worked awesome but with recent updates hasn't been working and i would DIE to have it back! lol
    I did this yesterday and its pretty easy.

• Notepad++ is free source code editor and replacement for Notepad. Its user interface is very similar to other Windows programs. You can download it here. Click on Binary Files and then click on "download Notepad++ executable files." Install as you would any other Windows program.

• Connect the Pre to your PC and run WebOS Quick Install. In WOSQI, click Tools>Receive file.

• In File:, enter "/etc/palm/downloadManager.conf" (without the quotes). Select the destination folder on your PC by clicking on the box to the right with the 3 dots.

• Open Notepad++, click File>Open and find the file you received from the Pre. Edit it as instructed in the earlier post by diomark. When finished, save the file.

• Go back to WOSQI, click Tools>Send file. Find the file you just edited by clicking on the 3 dots.

• In the Destination Folder box, type /etc/palm and click Send to Device!

• Restart the Pre. Download a file. You should see the increased download speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by trecrazy View Post

EDIT: WHAT GC916 SAID!!! ^^^^ (I didn't do as good a job.... leaving my post here anyway just in case)

Hopefully, we'll have this patch back in Preware soon. Meanwhile, you can definitely get through this on your own with a little research and following some existing directions.

Sorry, I won't be albe to do this in extreme detail right now, but here are a few pointers...

• Notepad++ is just a (sophisticated) text editor you can use to modify Palm's code files. It is free. Just google it, download it, and install it.
    • You need to be somewhat familiar with Jason R's (Canuck Software) WebOS Quick Install (WOSQI)? Do you have the LATEST version (2.96 I think as of this post) installed? If so there are two particular menu items under Tools... One is send file, the other is receive file...
    • Using DioMark's instructions from post #177 and my additional instructions in post #181...
    • Connect your Pre to your computer via the USB cable. Use WOSQI to "Receive file" from the appropriate directory per DioMark's post -- just save that file to your desktop.
    • Then use Notepad++ to edit the file per DioMark's post. Just copy/paste the additional several lines. Be sure you DO NOT have a space after the last line (it should end with -1). Save that file -- same name on your desktop.
    • Then use WOSQI to "Send File" (the edited file on your desktop) back to the Pre (same directory - don't forget you only need to list the directory in the Send To: WOSQI form, not the file name. You will pick the file from the other part of the form.

Sorry I can't be more explicit, but I'm running out the door for a flight to NY in 5 minutes. I figured I'd try to get you started with my limited time right now...
    Last edited by greenawayj; 01/14/2010 at 07:11 AM.
    It works fine just using regular notepad to edit it. Just remove the space at the end of the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxinal View Post
    It works fine just using regular notepad to edit it. Just remove the space at the end of the line.
    Can someone update the patch with this change so others can install it as well
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i still can't get it to work with 1.3.5.1 like it used to :/
    i haven't tested it outside the browser but i use the web browser to download streaming videos/music and previously this patch made it INCREDIBLY fast.

when i followed the directions in 181 and what not my file had an additional
    #
    #"somethingabout"lunamanger
    #

which i replaced with just what diomark said should be in there...would that make a difference?
    and an extra line at the end after using regular notepad but i went back and fixed it...:/

could it be that the web browser now uses a different throttle?
    any help?
    :]
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi guys,

I changed the files (download.conf and downloadManager.conf in /etc/palm/) manually like Mark said in Post #177 an it worked so far!!

Downloads with Dr.Podder are as fast again ;-) Thanx!!!

Greets from Germany

Rob
    Last edited by Robo.308; 01/17/2010 at 03:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    gonna doctor my phone. would i download this patch through preware then do the steps in 171 181 and do we edit BOTH download.conf AND downloadManager.conf in /etc/palm/ ??
    hadnt tested it before so no control results, but with mobile speed tests i get the following results with the 7MB download test which should be the most accurate

Just my computer with linksys wifi adapter connected to linskys wrt54g WITH speed boost

Your speed: 4261.796 Kbps
    Your latency: 0.217 seconds
    Transferred 7000 KB in 13.14 seconds

Using MyTether to Connect to internet through pre

Data Source: EVDO (3G) (Practically Full Bars)
    Your speed: 481.058 Kbps
    Your latency: 0.427 seconds
    Transferred 1000 KB in 16.63 seconds

Data Source: Wifi
    Your speed: 4508.857 Kbps
    Your latency: 0.218 seconds
    Transferred 7000 KB in 12.42 seconds
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm whether the edited downloadManager.conf file needs to be restored to original or removed (as with other patches) before updating WebOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Can someone update the patch with this change so others can install it as well
    +1

An updated patch in Preware would be greatly appreciated! I think this is one of the best patches available. Thanks!

Doug
    Treo300>600>650>755p>Pre
    I just read this thread and got interested, so I copied a few of these files from my Palm to my PC. I used Internalz to copy the talked about files from their locations to the download direction on the USB partition. I connected my Pre, and copied a few files to my PC and opened them up using a text editor.

One thing I found interesting in the 'luna.config' file was this statement under the download section:

[DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=65536

I also notice this in the download.config file that I guess was the patch in the download section:

[DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=-1

If you notice, the MaxRecvSpeed is 65536 in the luna.config file and in the download.config file it is MaxRecvSpeed=-1

So my question is: is the number -1 considered unlimited speed and the 65536 is a restricted speed?

Also, I don't have a luna directory, it was just 'luna.config' so I just want to be sure you guys just had a typo because you listed it as: /etc/palm/download.config and then /etc/palm/luna/download.config.

As I said, I did not find a luna directory but just a luna file named luna.config

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    but agreed.
    an updated patch submitted to preware
    would be SOOO phenomenal.

i might **** with excitement.
    no. definitely would.
    So as it is, the patch currently in Preware does not work, right?
    yes please update the preware patch, i installed the original the the 1st day i got my pre and didnt even notice it did not work
    is there a file called /etc/palm/luna/downloadManager.conf?

cause when i 'receive file' from WOSQI i get the file transferred successfully and it SEEMS (keyword appears) to be the same file as /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf????

just for ****s and giggles i edited both files with the same code edits. my phone seems neither bricked or glitched.

testing now real quick. browser works ok.
    youtube and downloading youtube vids working ok.
    streaming pandora seems ok
    preware updates all feeds and allows downloads of apps patches and themes.

not sure if im on to something or just wicked tired from a 17 hour overnight shift...

EDIT: in fact this is the fastest preware has ever loaded! even with all feeds enabled.
    Also, google images search and 'view full screen' fuggedabouditt haha almost instant over a linksys wrt54g wifi!!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I manually changed the conf file and the Pre is now so much faster as far as Wi-Fi downloads go. But I too would appreciate an updated patch as it's easier to handle - in particular with AUPT being available now.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast