Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I think you mean /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    Mark, can you confirm the directory correction?

I just:

• Used WebOS QI to extract the original Palm file from /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    • Used Notepad++ to add the code lines from your post above
    • Used WebOSQI to put the updated file (same file name) back to /etc/palm/
    • Note: Make sure your "target" dialog box only has /etc/palm/ and not the full /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf or else WebOS QI will give you an error. Took me three tries until I realized my mistake. Darn copy and paste.
    • Note#2: Be sure to perform a full restart (I do it by Orange-Sym-R) before telling Mark that the patch might not help very much this time around!!!! If you've been hit by the 1.3.5 Calendar bug -- you'll have to re-run the fix after the restart too!!

Not certain, but my initial perspective is that Dr Podder doesn't seem to be downloading new podcasts much faster than before I made the changes above, but I'm at work (on work wifi) and it's certainly possible they have a bandwidth throttle or something else that is maxing out the download speed??
    Last edited by greenawayj; 01/04/2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Mark, can you confirm the directory correction?

I just:

• Used WebOS QI to extract the original Palm file from /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    • Used Notepad++ to add the code lines from your post above
    • Used WebOSQI to put the updated file (same file name) back to /etc/palm/
    • Note: Make sure your "target" dialog box only has /etc/palm/ and not the full /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf or else WebOS QI will give you an error. Took me three tries until I realized my mistake. Darn copy and paste.

Not certain, but my initial perspective is that Dr Podder doesn't seem to be downloading new podcasts much faster than before I made the changes above, but I'm at work (on work wifi) and it's certainly possible they have a bandwidth throttle or something else that is maxing out the download speed??
    What you did looks fine - don't forget to restart after. I did a quick test last night, and it felt much faster; I'll do a more through test when I have time.

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I think you mean /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    Apologies, yes. /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    What you did looks fine - don't forget to restart after. I did a quick test last night, and it felt much faster; I'll do a more through test when I have time.

-mark
    I just did a quick test downloading a 50mb podcast. Run 1 was without the changes; my download (using iftop) was ~500-580KB/sec

Download with the changes was ~5-7MB/Sec (with some spikes up to 10MB/sec) - so the new patch *is* working.

-mark

-mark
    You may take the written instructions in my post as literal. I forgot to restart!!! I'm going to edit the instructions to clarify that the restart (not just a luna restart) is required -- followed by re-fixing the 1.3.5 Calendar bug!!!
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    You may take the written instructions in my post as literal. I forgot to restart!!! I'm going to edit the instructions to clarify that the restart (not just a luna restart) is required -- followed by re-fixing the 1.3.5 Calendar bug!!!
    What also works (in place of restarting) is killing the LunaDownloadManager process.

First, do a 'ps -ef | grep DownloadMgr'
    ps -ef | grep DownloadMgr
    root 8083 1 2 11:40 ? 00:00:36 /usr/bin/LunaDownloadMgr
    Then kill the PID that's show. In the above case, 8083 using 'kill 8083' - it restarts and reads the new config file.

-mark
    Will you be submitting this new updated patch to preware, or just posting the new patch in the first post? Thanks a ton!
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    Will you be submitting this new updated patch to preware, or just posting the new patch in the first post? Thanks a ton!
    Both, but haven't had time... will try and find time tomorrow.
    If someone else wants to submit this, please feel free.
    -mark
    -mark
    I'm in no rush. I can wait until you have time. Thanks for doing the patch in the first place.
    Just FYI I tried this patch on two separate occasions and both times it drained my battery quickly. As soon as I uninstalled it, my battery life was normal again.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    It seems the Emergency Patch Recovery app in Preware doesn't take this patch into account. I ran it before upgrading to 1.3.5.1 and didn't notice it wasn't removed. After attempting to reinstall all my patches, this one still lists as installed but won't let me remove.

Suggestions?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    It seems the Emergency Patch Recovery app in Preware doesn't take this patch into account. I ran it before upgrading to 1.3.5.1 and didn't notice it wasn't removed. After attempting to reinstall all my patches, this one still lists as installed but won't let me remove.

Suggestions?
    Have you tried to remove it using WOSQI?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    Have you tried to remove it using WOSQI?
    Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work either. Got the same error.

Any way to manually remove patches?

Edit: Actually, the error made it get removed from the installed list of patches! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post

Suggestions?
    This patch won't hurt upgrades...
    -mark
    No matter what I do, I cannot get this to work since 1.3.5.1. I had to webos doctor my phone (for reasons I won't go into here) and so I started with a clean slate. Installed the unthrottle patch with no issues. I have the modifications in the downloadManager.conf file as stated above, have restarted, but web downloads and Dr. Podder are still hideously slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by KCBCarmichael; 01/05/2010 at 10:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Are you guys positive it's not a problem with a Dr. Podder throttle?

I mean are any of you tethering? What kinda speeds are you getting before and after this patch over tethering.

In my situation, I didn't perform at speed tests, but I wasn't getting better than 40kbps before and after I got 110kbps while downloading a torrent. [I know I know...screw sprint!]
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Are you guys positive it's not a problem with a Dr. Podder throttle?

I mean are any of you tethering? What kinda speeds are you getting before and after this patch over tethering.

In my situation, I didn't perform at speed tests, but I wasn't getting better than 40kbps before and after I got 110kbps while downloading a torrent. [I know I know...screw sprint!]
    I don't think this effects tethering/etc. This only effects downloads - app downloads (using app store), or dr podder.. as far as I know those are the only two apps using this feature..

-mark
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    any chance this will be in preware soon?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    -mark
    Mark,

I had used this patch in the past and it made a huge difference to me since I use drPodder daily. Despite many uninstall/reinstall cycles, I cannot get it to work since updating to 1.3.5.1. I would really appreciate the updated version being available via Preware if and when you have the time.

Many thanks for your efforts.
    Mark -- In case you don't recall, I was a huge advocate for this patch back in the early days a few months back -- you really made a great find. I have zero doubt that it definitely made a noticeable difference for me prior to 1.3.5 for wifi podcast downloads with DrP (I can't speak to other types of downloads / data connections, but certainly whatever protocol Dr P uses, it was improved by the prior iteration of this patch).

Now on 1.3.5, I am just not seeing the difference that I used to see. I have confirmed that I correctly edited the appropriate file per your instructions, but it seems to me like things are just downloading as slow (fast) on wifi as they had been without the patch.

I have no doubt that this has nothing at all to do with whether the patch is applied this via preware versus the manual approach of pulling the file with WOSQI, editing in Notepad++, and dumping it back via WOSQI. I'm just not sure why it's not (apparently) working...

As a test, I just downloaded a small (14.7MB) podcast from WEEI radio in Boston: Just under 4 minutes: 235 seconds…. Not sure of bits vs bytes these days when discussing bandwidth speed, but my calcs tell me this is about 63KB/sec or 501 kbps depending on how you’re counting…

Clearly it looks like others are experiencing this too… Has anyone who was experiencing this found a solution yet? I’m not thrilled about Dr’ing my Pre, but willing to if I can get this fixed. Sounds like at least one person has done so, but without success...

Just searching for an answer to the unexplainable....
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast