1.    #1  
    I am an avid text messager. I constantly put my Pre down (with a one minute screen off timer) while using it. When I want to respond to a text, I keep having to enter my PIN every single time which gets annoying.

I wanted to request a patch that would allow the user to manually lock the Pre with a key combination (ex: meta key + power/center button) or possibly a timer that would implement the PIN screen after 5+ minutes of having the screen off (User can change the duration).

This is one of the main annoyances I have for the Pre. I can't give up my PIN though because I really don't want family members or friends to access my text messages and photos at will.

I'm willing to help in any way I can.
    Last edited by Abyssul; 10/20/2009 at 07:52 PM.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    This would be great. It's pretty ridiculous that Palm didn't include it as a feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    This would be great. It's pretty ridiculous that Palm didn't include it as a feature.
    If Palm would have included every feature at release that someone said should have been included:

1. We'd live in a PERFECT world...it's far from that!

2. We'd still be waiting for the release date of 06-06-10.

3. We'd have no idea how smart the people at PreCentral, WebOS Internals, etc. really are! (OMG you guys ROCK!)

Take it easy...it's getting better all the time! (great Beatles toon, by the way.)
    or have them figure out how to implement this on the Pre:

Stephen P. Tarzia: computer engineer

the speaker is probably on the wrong side for this to work, correctly though.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    +1 I love this idea. I love having the Pin in there however I hate having to type it EVERYTIME. It would be nice if we could set it so the Pin happens after 1,5,10,30 minutes of idle time with of course the option to lock it with some key combination Maybe the button on the gesture area + Power or something.
    Is there a way to get rid of the Phone Locked screen with a PIN?
    @sheepdog: Yes, go into the screen and lock app.
    Ontopic: Please yes, I don't ever have my phone locked because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    If Palm would have included every feature at release that someone said should have been included:

1. We'd live in a PERFECT world...it's far from that!

2. We'd still be waiting for the release date of 06-06-10.

3. We'd have no idea how smart the people at PreCentral, WebOS Internals, etc. really are! (OMG you guys ROCK!)

Take it easy...it's getting better all the time! (great Beatles toon, by the way.)
    No, not really. There are certain basic features that any smartphone released in 2009 should include out of the box. Oddly enough, the Pre lacks a surprising number of those features. That is a far cry from wishing that we live in a perfect world.
  9.    #9  
    Bump.

+1 id really love to have this app!
    any updates on this patch yet? anyone looked into it?
  12. Zob
    Hmm...not sure I fully understand this so let me repeat what I think I'm reading here and y'all can correct me as needed. I think I see two parts to this request:

1) Some button magic to immediately launch the lock screen.
    2) An extended timeout (say, 5 minutes) for the auto lock.

For (1), it seems to me that we already have the power button. So the first question is, why is that insufficient?

For (2), it looks like what is being requested here is to decouple the turning off of the screen from the locking of the screen. So one might set the screen to turn off after, say, 1 minute but not cause a lock until 5 minutes. Does that sound about right? If so, my next question is why this would be substantially better than just extending the off-plus-lock timer to 5 minutes. Battery life, maybe? Aesthetics?
    +1 +1 +1 +1
    yes, will somebody PLEASE give pre users that minimum functionality. I've had that on my smartphones for so long I didn't even consider that it would be left off a modern device.
    No, not really. There are certain basic features that any smartphone released in 2009 should include out of the box. Oddly enough, the Pre lacks a surprising number of those features. That is a far cry from wishing that we live in a perfect world.
    No, not really. Every phone is different, and most of the "features" which are complained about don't fit everyone who bought a Pre, I bought it for the multitasking, the design, and the promise of an evolving OS, the first two I would believe most others to follow me on.

If I didn't care about the multitasking and wanted the "basic features any smartphone released in 2009 should include", I would've just gotten an iPhone.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zob View Post
    Hmm...not sure I fully understand this so let me repeat what I think I'm reading here and y'all can correct me as needed. I think I see two parts to this request:

1) Some button magic to immediately launch the lock screen.
    2) An extended timeout (say, 5 minutes) for the auto lock.

For (1), it seems to me that we already have the power button. So the first question is, why is that insufficient?

For (2), it looks like what is being requested here is to decouple the turning off of the screen from the locking of the screen. So one might set the screen to turn off after, say, 1 minute but not cause a lock until 5 minutes. Does that sound about right? If so, my next question is why this would be substantially better than just extending the off-plus-lock timer to 5 minutes. Battery life, maybe? Aesthetics?
    First part isn't right. I wanted a feature that would manually lock the phone instead of the automatic timer

The second part is spot on. The reason is because of battery life and also so the touchscreen isn't vurnable aka on.

how about like the BB storm where your pattern over the buttons is the screen lock release? instead of having to open slide & type?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Patch has been added to webos-patch feed.

BypassPINLock
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post
    Patch has been added to webos-patch feed.

BypassPINLock
    That doesn't really solve my problem. That patch is for exchange users who don't wanna input the PIN every time. I choose to have my PIN for security reasons and I can turn it off with the Screen and Lock app. I just want the ability to use a key combination to turn it on and off (at will) as well as a timer that is separate from the on-screen timer. Example: Screen turns off after a min, but the phone will not lock for 5 minutes.

WooHoo!! It sounds like Palm fixed this in 1.3.1

http://www.precentral.net/whats-new-webos-131

In the category of often-request features, there are improvements to the PIN behavior. You can now set your PIN to be any arbitrary length (I stopped at 20 digits). More importantly, there is now a "Lock After" feature you can set anywhere from "Screen turns off" to 30 minutes.
    I hope they coordinated this change with Exchange PIN lock policies.
  20.    #20  
    Awesome! I just read that as well and I became ecstatic. This is my one major gripe about WebOS that bugs me and it's actually being fixed by Palm themselves instead of looking towards the Homebrew community.

I just hope it isn't a letdown and also have the Pre update out ASAP. (like a few days after Pixi.)