1.    #1  
    It would be really beneficial if we could control when the display dims and turns off based on the accelerometer.

Use case 1:
    The display will turn off after noticing no activity on the accelerometer for X seconds. This would be useful when reading an article or playing a game like word ace where you may not be interacting for a period of time. The display will detect the small movements of you holding the phone, assume you're using it, and prevent the screen from dimming and turning off.

Use case 2:
    Record the accelerometer readings generated by placing the phone on a variety of surfaces using varying force. With enough data and a little math, it should be possible to detect when the phone has been set down and skip the screen sleep delay. If charted on a line graph, I'd guess the shock of the phone connecting with a hard surface would register as a short spike. This would be different from say a shaking gesture used in games and apps.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I think those are both great ideas. Would make the phone much more intuitive.

If I'm using the phone, don't turn the screen off! The one issue that comes to mind where this might be a problem is in the car or walking. Wouldn't the phone never turn off? Of you'd have to manually hit the power button to lock/put the phone to sleep.

If I'm not using the phone, turn the screen off right away.
    I would like a patch so that the display does not turn off, the maximum option is 3 minutes. I used to use my old iphone as my halo timer and would like to use my pre as well, so I need the display to be on for at least 20 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    I would like a patch so that the display does not turn off, the maximum option is 3 minutes. I used to use my old iphone as my halo timer and would like to use my pre as well, so I need the display to be on for at least 20 minutes.
    Theres a patch for that already, look for it in preware, you can choose between many options, including for it to never turn off
    Quote Originally Posted by tseven View Post
    It would be really beneficial if we could control when the display dims and turns off based on the accelerometer.

Use case 1:
    The display will turn off after noticing no activity on the accelerometer for X seconds. This would be useful when reading an article or playing a game like word ace where you may not be interacting for a period of time. The display will detect the small movements of you holding the phone, assume you're using it, and prevent the screen from dimming and turning off.

Use case 2:
    Record the accelerometer readings generated by placing the phone on a variety of surfaces using varying force. With enough data and a little math, it should be possible to detect when the phone has been set down and skip the screen sleep delay. If charted on a line graph, I'd guess the shock of the phone connecting with a hard surface would register as a short spike. This would be different from say a shaking gesture used in games and apps.
    i like this idea...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!