Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Can we get it to check the obituaries so that it won't go off if I'm dead?
    What's it matter, you won't hear it anyway! LOL!

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    To the OP, and anybody else who would use this, let me tell you something.

I have had employees like you; and I have fired them.

If you give yourself so little leeway in your time getting ready for school and/or work in the mornings that rain would make you late, then you have very little hope of ever keeping a job long term.

Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier than you do now, and do it every day.

Look at it this way, any of the following could make you late for work:

Getting pulled over.
    Stopping to change a flat tire.
    Bad weather.
    Unusual traffic backup.

If you leave for work early enough to accommodate any 2 of those, you will almost never be late to work. You'll also be more relaxed when you get to work, because it won't be a daily mad-dash to the timeclock.
    +1

There are guys I work with that can't quite seem to make it every day on time for some reason and our boss is a real stickler. Imagine ... they are reminded of that at review cycles and it becomes a basis for being let go.

This thread was funny but is so sad at the same time.
    I appreciate the humor in the threads - I have found that humor opens up new possibilities that you wouldn't have thought of before.

I think the "out of the box" idea (including "out of the coffin" idea?) is a great start to a whole new way of thinking. What is possible, what isn't possible, and why? That's how progress is made.

And my kudos to all of the Homebrew community who are trying to figure out what it possible!
    i would like an app that dresses me and drives me to work every morning
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i would like an app that dresses me and drives me to work every morning
    • I'd like it to match my clothes for me. I miss gurranimals
    • I'd like it to tell me when I need to shine my shoes
    • I want it to figure out my mileage based on GPS when my phone is connected to my Car-Kit. (Actually I don't. Just throwing an idea out there!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    The worries of time. And to think I was worried that it has been said, swallowing saliva in small amounts over a long period of time causes cancer.

I still look out the window at 3:00am on first alarm to check for snow. Second alarm wakes me up at 6:15am if I go back to bed. Works for me.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by susank2 View Post
    Can someone make an app that raises my kids for me.
    If this was an iPhone I could say "There's an App for that" and probably be correct!

Now if there was an app that was the equivalent of the 76 Why Stopper, that would be cool. Of course, I'm not sure I'd let my 9 year old hold my phone to read it. Hmmm, but the audio of it without the cell call charge.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    the naysayers in this thread are dumb****s.
    it's a cool idea for a patch.

especially ignorant are those trying to mock by proposing "outrageous" tasks for the cellphone.
    i hope they remember, when there are devices that have all of this functionality, how stupid they used to be.

"LOL! MAYBE THEY'LL JUST MAKE THE PHONE TALK TO SATELLITES IN OUTER SPACE AND TELL YOU EXACTLY WHERE IN THE WORLD YOU ARE! BUILT RIGHT INTO THE CELL PHONE! LOLOL!!!"
    "LOL YA! AND HOW ABOUT MAKING THE PHONE ADAPTABLE TO BE MORE SUITABLE TO EACH INDIVIDUAL USER! HAHA!"
    ...dumb****s...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beestinga View Post
    the naysayers in this thread are dumb****s.
    it's a cool idea for a patch.

especially ignorant are those trying to mock by proposing "outrageous" tasks for the cellphone.
    i hope they remember, when there are devices that have all of this functionality, how stupid they used to be.
    Actually, if I had a phone with this functionality, I wouldn't use it.

I stick to my original comment. If your work ethic and time management skills are so weak that something as mundane as RAIN could make you late for work, then the function of your cell phone alarm clock is the least of your worries.

People are not mocking the request because it's impossible, or even impractical. They're mocking it because it's a shining example of the degradation of the American work ethic and personal responsibility.

Sometimes, it's easier to laugh at the present than to cry for the future.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

I stick to my original comment. If your work ethic and time management skills are so weak that something as mundane as RAIN could make you late for work, then the function of your cell phone alarm clock is the least of your worries.

People are not mocking the request because it's impossible, or even impractical. They're mocking it because it's a shining example of the degradation of the American work ethic and personal responsibility.

You're making a big assumption here. For all you know, the OP is habitually 10 minutes early for work, and always gets up early enough to take time to enjoy breakfast before leaving, but when it's raining his usual road floods and he has to take a longer route that means he has to cut his breakfast time shorter than normal. Maybe he just likes the ability to take his time over breakfast?

Not likely? Maybe, but then again neither of us really knows the truth, do we? By denigrating him and insulting his work ethic based on nothing more than his app request, you just make yourself look like an arrogant jerk.

If you don't like an app request, maybe you should just ignore it instead of insulting the person who made the request.

For those of you saying he should just check the weather the night before, it's not that uncommon where I live for the next day's forecast to be "clear and sunny" when I go to bed, and then have it be raining cats and dogs when I wake up. The weather forecast is just not really all that reliable.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    When I used to live in a place that it snowed 6 months a year I very rarely needed extra time to get to work....I'm failing to see how rain (save perhaps hurricane levels) could make one late for work.
    I used to work for a hospital system that was built in a flood plain. It didn't take much rain at all to flood half the roads leading to my building and cause delays. To make it worse, I lived far enough away that there could be heavy storms at work, but I'd never know it because it was bright and sunny at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Regardless it's an interesting idea. I think the issue would be nailing down all the variables involved and then finding a data source that would spit it out in a way you could use. Inevitably when my phone says it's raining it's sometimes not and vice-versa.
    I find the airport METARs to be a pretty reliable source, at least for current conditions, and they use a standardized format.

As for the method, I have cron job set up on my computer to pull the weather feed for my local airport, print it to a .txt file, and open that with a program called "espeak" - my computer gives me a verbal rundown of the time, date, temperature, current conditions, and that day's forecast 10 minutes before I normally wake up, and I might wake up a little early depending on what the conditions are (if it's cold enough I'll have to scrape the frost off my windows, or something like that). That way, I don't find myself having to rush to get to work at my normal time.
    Actually, if I had a phone with this functionality, I wouldn't use it.

hey numbnuts.
    your management strategy, your feelings in regard to personnel tardiness, your philosophies on congestion or traffic tickets...all irrelevant to the patch development for the palm pre.
    Quit being a judgemental *****, and if you don't have anything to contribute, then open up notepad and type your irrelevant ramblings there.
    Just or the record, I've been having a bit of fun with my comments here too, but I believe sometime good ideas can be found when brainstorming around and ruling out bad ideas. I see both sides of this issue. Yeah, just wake up earlier, but having your phone alarm automatically adjust for the weather might be a nice convenience (but not something that should be relied on).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12