Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. OrR
    Update: Added all the reports from me and other people to the list in this post for a better overview.

I thought I'd start a list of patches I tried on my GSM Pre (O2 Germany, running webOS 1.1.3) and report on what worked and what didn't. Please add your own experiences!

I use Preware to install the patches. If a patch isn't listed, I haven't tried it.

Installs & works
    Swipe History
    Swipe History - AutoConfirm
    Sound Toggle - Green (Camera)
    Sound Toggle - Grey (Camera)
    Capture with Volume Keys
    Enable Hidden Clock
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Confirm Delete (Email)
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    Quiet powered Messages
    Extract PDF Viewer Application (Doesn't deinstall with EPR but deinstalls fine on its own.)
    Call Duration in Call Log
    Emergency Patch Recovery (Doesn't remove Extract PDF Viewer Application and broken 5x4 Icons v2 entry, though.)
    Reduce Minimum Brightness
    More Standby Times
    Disable Charging Alert Sound
    Battery Icon and Percent
    New Card per Convo
    Enter Key for New Line
    Audio/Video Attachments (I think so, couldn't really test, yet.)
    Default to Week View
    Default to Month View
    Enable Personal Avatar (Again, only partially tested but probably works.)
    Reset Scroll Position
    Timestamp - Builtin
    Force Send Offline

Doesn't install (Error Installing: See IPKG Log)
    Multi Mod (Browser)
    Enable Landscape Email
    Character Counter
    Smiley Faces in Symbol Box
    Virtual Keyboard
    Enable Landscape PFF Viewer
    Call History During Call
    Enable LED Notifications
    Phone Radio Toggle
    KeyToss Keyword Search
    SMS Tone per Contact
    Show Actual Battery Percent
    all 5x4 and 4x4 Icon patches
    Enable Forwarding
    Jump One Word at a Time

Installs but doesn't do what it's supposed to
    Hide Musicplayer App
    Enable Landscape Messaging (Might be responsible for a nonsense-conversation I suddenly discovered in my Messaging app...)
    Timestamps - Clean
    Compose to Email (Not sure I know what it's supposed to do...)
    Enable Dialpad Vibration
    All Day Events in Month View
    Close Slider to End Calls (Makes the dialer GUI disappear)
    Compose to e-mail
    Add Space Between Snooze and Dismiss
    Show Wifi SSID
    Snooze Duration Selection
    Full IM Status (Not sure I know what it's supposed to do)

Other problems
    5x4 Icons v2 - This one didn't install but ended up in my installed list anyway and now I can't remove it from there, even with EPR. Be careful! I couldn't get any of the other XxX patches to work, either.
    Last edited by OrR; 10/21/2009 at 08:34 AM.
    Thanks OrR, I will post my findings from the UK asap.
    I have decided to wait untill we get the new FW update in November to see the patches update so both sides, Europe and America, have the same success. I mean, i can wait a couple of weeks

In the mean time im enjoying what is available (themes, programs and some patches), and am mostly thankfull that we had all this stuff around already when i got my pre. Cant really imagine how it was for the folks in the States who got the pre and wanted to tweak their cellphones rightaway!

In my opinion, is better if we calm down for a while, and wait till the next update comes. It is just fair to have to wait 3-4 weeks for the fixes to come, and not a while like when the Pre first came out. Besides, trying to fix the patches for us, will only mean more work for the dedicated developers we have around (and will just be useful for 3-4 weeks... )

So dont worry, be happy
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    @OrR I tested some your the Patches you could install. They are working for me too. Sweet. Lets hope that 1.3 will improve a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    I thought I'd start a list of patches I tried on my GSM Pre (O2 Germany, running webOS 1.1.3) and report on what worked and what didn't. Please add your own experiences!

I use Preware to install the patches. If a patch isn't listed, I haven't tried it.

Installs & works
    Swipe History
    Swipe History - AutoConfirm
    Sound Toggle - Green (Camera)
    Sound Toggle - Grey (Camera)
    Capture with Volume Keys
    Enable Hidden Clock
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Confirm Delete (Email)
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    Quiet powered Messages (Didn't try if this does anything.)
    Extract PDF Viewer Application (Doesn't deinstall with EPR but deinstalls fine on its own.)
    Call Duration in Call Log
    Emergency Patch Recovery (Doesn't remove Extract PDF Viewer Application and broken 5x4 Icons v2 entry, though.)
    Reduce Minimum Brightness
    More Standby Times
    Disable Charging Alert Sound
    Battery Icon and Percent
    Thanks for this list.

I have created a webos 1.1.3 feed for patches, and updated our autopatch build infrastructure to be able to package patches for both 1.1.3 and 1.2.1 (and any other versions in the future). All that is required is that people port the patches to the required versions, and tag the git repo accordingly.

I have enabled all the above patches for the 1.1.3 feed, and have also back-ported the Phone Radio Toggle patch myself.

The feed for 1.1.3 patches is:

Index of /feeds/webos-patches/1.1.3

Put this in /var/etc/ipkg/webos-patches.conf instead of the URL with "all" at the end. A future version of the Package Manager Service will do this by default, but for the time being you will need to edit the file manually.

We're looking for .eu and .uk developers to help with back-porting the patches. Create an account at gitorious.org, clone the webos-internals/modifications repo, backport the patch and request a merge. If the backport is good you will be granted commit access so you can do more, and help with patch maintenance and development in the future.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Hi Rod,

I think you might have broken the feed for 1.2.1. The patches for virtual keyboard and emergency patch recovery seem to be missing. Can you check if your changes to support 1.1.3 might have missed these patches?

Thanks... plee3

Update: The VKB is present (my mistake) but the EPR is missing from the Package file.
    Last edited by plee3; 10/17/2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    Hi Rod,

I think you might have broken the feed for 1.2.1. The patches for virtual keyboard and emergency patch recovery seem to be missing. Can you check if your changes to support 1.1.3 might have missed these patches?

Thanks... plee3

Update: The VKB is present (my mistake) but the EPR is missing from the Package file.
    My mistake. EPR has moved to the webos-internals feed, since it is not dependent on the webOS version.

Do an update on your feeds, and you will see it again in the List of Everything.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I've got 1 question:

Can i update/flash (whatever) my Pre to 1.2.1 in Germany with a o2 contract without problems with GSM/UMTS/GRPS/EDGE/WiFi/GPS? So i can use the Patches without problems
    Quote Originally Posted by rondera View Post
    I've got 1 question:

Can i update/flash (whatever) my Pre to 1.2.1 in Germany with a o2 contract without problems with GSM/UMTS/GRPS/EDGE/WiFi/GPS? So i can use the Patches without problems
    Are you a skilled Linux and GSM practitioner who is not afraid to webOS Doctor the phone again if it fails, is not concerned that there is a miniscule but finite possibility the phone will be destroyed, and will not try and take it back to Palm or O2 if it does break?

If not, then no.

-- Rod
    I dont know if I'm here in the right place, but i also get error mesages by installing Thenes over preware. by installing the PIPBoy 3000 Theme.
    The Main error Message is that: "
    connot create directory /var/usr/lib/webos-quick-install "
    I#M mor user then Delevoper and i just have the Phone since wendsday
  11. OrR
    Tried some more patches:

Installs & works
    New Card per Convo
    Enter Key for New Line
    Default to Week View
    Default to Month View
    Reset Scroll Position

Installs but doesn't do what it's supposed to
    All Day Events in Month View

Doesn't install
    SMS Tone per Contact
    Show Actual Battery Percent
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    Tried some more patches:
    Installs & works
    New Card per Convo
    Enter Key for New Line
    Default to Week View
    Default to Month View
    Reset Scroll Position
    I've added these to the feed - the auto-builder should get to them the next time it runs (every 15 minutes).

-- Rod
  13. OrR
    Close Slider to End Calls does install but it doesn't seem to work correctly...
    It messed up my phone application where once the call was active all I could see was the background of the dialing app.
    Installs & work:
    Timestamp - Builtin

Not installable:
    all 5x4 and 4x4 Icon patches

Not working:
    Compose to e-mail
    add space beetween snooze and dismiss buttons during clock alarms

installable but didn't tested yet:
    snooze duration selection

I also tested this and the patches above to install via Quick Install...

themes:
    just tested the Black Out theme. it works and its niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
    Not Working/Doens't Install

Close slider to end calls
    Apparently, a patch is needed for the GSM pre to have 3g on AT&T. Hardware wise, it seems compatible (850/1900), but for some reason it is not able to pick up any 3g signal. Does anyone know the possibility of making a patch that can make 3g work? Sorry about going off topic there.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    @OrR Can you please merge all your "working, not working" postings (and of course postings from others too) into the List at the first Posting? This would help to get a quicker overview what is working and what not.
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    Apparently, a patch is needed for the GSM pre to have 3g on AT&T. Hardware wise, it seems compatible (850/1900), but for some reason it is not able to pick up any 3g signal.
    as far as I know 3g needs at least 1920 to 2170 MHz. So maybe it is not only a software issue.

Greetings from Berlin, Germany
    Alex
  20. OrR
    @Taurec: Did that and also added a few more patches I just tested. (Force Send Offline works. Enable Forwarding & Jump One Word at a Time do not install. Show Wifi SSID, Snooze Duration Selection & Full IM Status don't do what they are supposed to, as far as I can tell.)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast