Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I went to update to 1.2.1 so I did the emergency patch recovery, restarted the phone, verified all patches were gone then dowloaded and installed update. My problem is that when I reinstall the patches, there's always one or two patches that won't instal. They have some long ipkg log and I usually have to WEBOS DOCTOR the phone to get all the patches I want to reload. After 1.2 update it was the battery percent and message landscape. The same happens when I use quick install and device management. I even eraseed the patches that were listed under Apps. What am I doin wrong? Is this happening to anyone else?
    Joey316g,
    You misspoke. The problem isn't that you "always have a problem after the Palm update".
    Your thread title should have read, "I don't understand how homebrew patching works - can someone explain please".

very briefly..
    1. If you don't want problems or are trying to minimize them...dont use custom patches that are NOT made by Palm.

2. The patches actually insert or modify extra lines in the WebOS (for lack of a more detailed explaination). The INSERT or MODIFICATION point is dependent on the OS version. A new version of the WebOS means the old patch may 'break' the OS at worst or simply not work on average.

3. Since these patches are 'user made', they are NOT controlled and NO automated flags are built into the patching software (Preware/QuickInstall), and as such the prgms do NOT tell you if the patch you are applying has been updated to work with the version of the OS you are running.

4. Your better off to WebOS Doctor your phone and wait about 2 weeks before reapplying 'patches'. Follow the boards to ensure they have been updated.

5. Keep in mind that because the software used to 'apply' the patches is also 'homegrown', it can have bugs and misapply the patch or the different patching software can glitch or have compatibility issues.

Note: By 'controlled', I mean in a typical Quality Assurance controlled manner, as in under certified ISO9000 procedures or similar world qualified and approved quality system.

Does that help inform you?
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 10/15/2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Clarification on 'controlled'.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Suddenly im reminded why I love forum users. NOW, is there anyone else who actually has something useful to say?
    I must say that I think CanadianPre's post was most relevant based on the info you supplied.

A friendly note when asking questions:
    1) Verify that the patch/etc. are suppose to work with the OS version you have. They might not be updated. If not, wait or update it yourself.
    2) Specify which patch you are trying to use (this is bare minimum).
    3) Gather as much info as possible. Behavior, logs etc.

The more specified question the more relevant answers!

Cheers,
    Mikael
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey316g View Post
    Suddenly im reminded why I love forum users. NOW, is there anyone else who actually has something useful to say?
    That's a pretty pathetic answer to someone who addressed your issues and replied with a lot specific information that DID answer you questions ...

Not sure why you think anyone else will bother trying to help you at this point.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    oh well....I never really get a straight answer anyway. WHat patches I install is irrelevant because after WEBos doctor, all the patches that previously would not reinstall after running the Emergency Patch Recovery will install without error. Also, I dont need to know all the inner working of the software to be able to install/remove patches. I just wanted to know if I was missing a step in the process. No need to know anything about what CanadianPre wrote to perfrom these tasks. Im thinking that the EPR is not completely clearing everything out so when I try to reinstall the patch, I get the error because there may be some type of hidden script still left on the phone. Thats why Im asking if there is something I should be doing during the removal/reinstall process. Thanks
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    How much time did you let pass from 1.2.1 to when you installed the patches (battery %, msg landscape)? The question CanadianPre raised is that patches may not have been updated for 1.2.1 when you went to install them, so they are in the wrong place - and hence EPR may not work (his points #4 & 5). They may install, as you have found, but they may not be right.

It's tedious, but I check each patch's thread here and see when the author has updated it to the next OS release (or verified it's ok). I don't install it until then. Not fun, but there's no way around it right now. There is still one for 1.2.1 that isn't updated (the all day events showing in the calendar monthly view) that I'm waiting for.

The main step you missed is checking the integrity of each patch for the OS release.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Thanks....finally an honest answer but I had all the updated patches for 1.2.1 already installed...I was doing all this becasue my phone did that thing where the 1.2.1 update just unexpectedly went away so I had to re update it. Thats what Im saying...I was having no problems, used EPR, updated to 1.2.1 (again), tried to reinstall the patches that I previuosly had running with no problems on any only to have errors on the VK when trying to reinstall....last time it was battery percent and message landscape. Befroe that it was new card per convo. And I dont live on here so by the time I find out that there is a Quickinstall with new update (ie 2.7) it had already been posted and confirmed that 2.6 didnt work with 1.2/1.2.1 so I do usually wait to hear about the bugs first.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I didn't experience problems with the 1.2.1 update, but I wonder if that is the root cause?

Which Web OS doctor did you use? The new one for 1.2.1?

I'm just wondering how clean or good your 1.2.1 install is, given your symptoms.

So far, how many times have you updated to 1.2.1?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Also, when I remove patches, I try a few things - I check WOSQI, I check with Preware, and erase what I can, then do EPR, then check again with WOSQI and Preware. Sometimes what I thought should have been removed wasn't.

But, if you remake your Pre over with WebOS doctor, that shouldn't be an issue. That should be a clean install and phone.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Now thats something I never did....Ill try that next time it happens...thanks man.....and I never have a prob after WebOs doctor
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I always download a new version of WebOS doctor before using and the 1.2.1 thing happened only once...im sure youve seen the thread around where it has happened to people 3 and 4 times already
    Do you theme?

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Do you theme?
    This is exactly what I was going to ask. Theme's also play a role in how successful an uninstalling of a patch is. Theme's and patches do not always play nice. Some theme's can touch files that would impact all of the patches you mentioned you have had issues with. Somewhere there is a thread that talks about this very issue of theme's and patches and how to work with them.

Oh wait, it's a sticky in this very forum. check this out if you ever use themes. If not, not sure what else to suggest.

WARNING: AutoPatch and Themes are incompatible
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Nah...never had a them on the phone