Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I tried posting this else where about a week ago and of course, no body wants to help. I tried searching around and i found many people have this problem but no fix.

I installed preware + packagemanager service and did it the RIGHT WAY! Package manager service will be in my launcher, and after reboot its not there (i know, thats suppose to happen) but once i try to open preware or lunamanager, it tells me that package manager service is not running or installed.

Even in webosquickinstall > device manager, it tells me that package manager service is not installed....i did this SOOO MANY times and im getting the same outcome!!!

can somebody please help me!!!!

ALSO, all this happened out of nowhere. My quickinstall wont install any tweaks on my phone for some reason...i don't understand whats going on!!!
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I would like to thank the pre community for helping me fix this problem (being sarcastic of course)

seems like if you aren't a developer, you cant get help on these forums
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm going to offer you an educated guess, this is the best I can offer -

If you have root access to your Pre, you may want to try to uninstall the Package Manager Service, and Preware, using the ipkg program from the command line.

If this generates an error message, post it in the Preware forum.

If it works (to remove them), then try using WOSQI to install the latest versions.

I wasn't even aware the Luna Manager needed the Package Manager Service...

HTH,
    -JerryG

PS - I wouldn't have even seen your post if I'd not checked "Latest Posts". There's a lot going on here, so there's a good chance your post(s) might not have been seen (it does happen!).
    Last edited by JerryG; 10/15/2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add PS
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    There are too many variables that is not being listed.

1. You should be able to see what versions of the software are being 'loaded', even if they arent there on reboot. Make a note of them and list them in the post.

2. For all we know, you were running version 1.2.0 of the WebOS with the tweaks and it did the auto update to 1.2.1 when you werent paying attention. Boom, tweak hell.

3. Maybe you are one of the users affected by the apparent glitch that keeps downloading 1.2.1 over and over and autoinstalling as mentioned in # 2 above. Again, Tweak hell.

4. What versions of the QI are you running? What versions of Preware? Did you ever UPDATE the Required WebOS download that you needed for your system?

5. Have you even bothered to wipe your desktop of the current downloads (OS & QI) and webdoctor your Pre, THEN download latest WebOS using the latest QI and move forward one tweak at a time?

Some easy things to answer & work on.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    thank you both for coming up with ideas. I tried each thing you guys mentioned and still had the same result as i was sitting in class, i went to the IRC channel for webos-internals and i finallllyyy got everything to work. I was unaware of the site: Index of / which properly installed package manager for me. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    I wasn't even aware the Luna Manager needed the Package Manager Service...
    I didn't know that either untill i tried restarting java/luna and it told me my package manager
    service wasn't running.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You're most welcome. And thanks for the "tip" about the preware site!

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    hey guys,

ive been homebrewing since the early days, but ive recently run into a strange issue. whenever i install package manager service/preware through webOS QI, my phone goes "phone offline." it then regains the connection, only to lose it every once in a while. i also have issues loading my contacts (which are being pulled from gmail).

has anyone seen this before? any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonzilla View Post
    hey guys,

ive been homebrewing since the early days, but ive recently run into a strange issue. whenever i install package manager service/preware through webOS QI, my phone goes "phone offline." it then regains the connection, only to lose it every once in a while. i also have issues loading my contacts (which are being pulled from gmail).

has anyone seen this before? any help would be appreciated.
    When you install/update Package Manager, it does a Java restart, which will take you phone offline a moment or two. Should not happen after you've updated though.
    Thread closed.

Please refer to the new Package Service Manager thread.

- Craig