Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    one interaction that I really like on the iphone is that many interactions only require one hand. webOS' approach seems to be spread out. sometimes it's gesture-area click, sometimes orange-fuction-key click, and sometimes shift click. it would be nice to be able to invoke some of the same interactions using just one hands. the following would be most useful, imo:

1. Click-hold picture or link = same as orange-click picture or link, and brings up same popup menu choices.

2. Click-hold text = same as shift-click text, and brings up same text selection controls.
  2.    #2  
    34 views and no replies...

am i the only one who uses the phone with one hand and who finds a feature like this useful??
    I'm looking at making a long press the equivalent of orange+tap.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
  4.    #4  
    thank you!!! I'm looking forward to it. I use the pre with one hand a lot and so this would be an awesome enhancement.
    +1 I'd love that feature!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    def something I miss from winmo
    I'd like this as well; although I wasn't thinking of one-handed operation, just not having to open the keyboard. I wanted to allow gesture area +click instead of just orange + click.
    I like the hold tap idea. this would be great
    Just successfully changed my pre from "orange+tap" to open the link/image menu to "gesture area+tap". Which means it shouldn't be too hard to change it to a "hold" instead... except that I don't know how to look for a hold instead of a tap yet. If someone can let me know how to look for a "hold", (or an example of an app that does it already), I can probably make the patch. Meanwhile, I'm gonna try and figure out how to upload to the patch feed the change I just made, because it can be done one-handed (though it is awkward).
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    This is essentially what the Android platform uses. It's called Long Press. Definitely would like to see it for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Just successfully changed my pre from "orange+tap" to open the link/image menu to "gesture area+tap". Which means it shouldn't be too hard to change it to a "hold" instead... except that I don't know how to look for a hold instead of a tap yet. If someone can let me know how to look for a "hold", (or an example of an app that does it already), I can probably make the patch. Meanwhile, I'm gonna try and figure out how to upload to the patch feed the change I just made, because it can be done one-handed (though it is awkward).
    Hm.. I was only partially successful. It brings up the menu, but it still continues loading the link behind it, instead of ignoring the link press and just bringing up the menu. I'll have ot play around with it some more.
    Zinge....the long press patch is awesome but can we also get the gesture area+tap patch? I would like to have that patch too!
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldayotte View Post
    Zinge....the long press patch is awesome but can we also get the gesture area+tap patch? I would like to have that patch too!
    I have gesture tap working perfectly on my phone now; I just have to figure out how to makea patch that patches 2 files and upload it to preware. I'm looking into the long press as well.
    I have gesture tap working perfectly on my phone now; I just have to figure out how to makea patch that patches 2 files and upload it to preware. I'm looking into the long press as well.
    Great news to hear! Thanks for your hard work Zinge!
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Can't wait for this! Thank you man!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I think this is a gr8 idea.....you know how the screen ripples when you tap it?? How bout when you hold it it keeps on rippling till the lil menu or what ever pops up......this would also make cutting and pasting work better....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...text-menu.html

Lemme know if it works for you guys. Updated to work on 1.3.1.

This does gesture+click, not long press yet.
    Last edited by zinge; 11/14/2009 at 01:48 PM.
  18.    #18  
    are you still working on the long-press? the gesture-click is awesome and i love it already, but i'm usually got my hands full when walking around with the pre so one-hand usage is something i still really miss. thx for the gesture-click patch thus far though!
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    are you still working on the long-press? the gesture-click is awesome and i love it already, but i'm usually got my hands full when walking around with the pre so one-hand usage is something i still really miss. thx for the gesture-click patch thus far though!
    I'll take a look at it again when I have time, but the next couple weeks are finals for me, and I have to catch up on schoolwork. Also, I have to fix my app (Brightness Unlinked) once I have free time, and that has priority over this. Sorry. If anybody knows how to add the press though, look at the files I'm patching for the gesture+click and it'll show you exactly what files need to be patched and what lines.
    we would have to change functions to tap functions not a long press but a tap, like the tap function on the messaging app that brings up the popup menu
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast