Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    +1 for the long press idea. I'd love to see that.
    @Zinge, thanks for the gesture+click patch. That's great, too!

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    The ladies love the long press...
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    any new development on this, guys? thx for the effort.
    bump
    Rob Robinson
    on my way to the airport, will be out of the country till new years. I'll take a look at this again when I get back. Happy holidays and happy new years!
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    +1 for the long press idea. I'd love to see that.
    @Zinge, thanks for the gesture+click patch. That's great, too!

Rob
    +1
    Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update. I looked over this again, and I can't really figure out how to do the hold. I know how in theory, kinda, but I can't make it work in the code. If anyone else is willing to work on it, I could help out, but thats about it.
  7.    #28  
    i thought i remember someone talking about a hold-interaction several weeks ago but i can't remember who or where ... ack! i'll do a search and see if i can find it. in the meantime thanks for looking into it and i hope someone can figure this out.
    i was asking about holding a link to open it in a new card. i think fritos responded that he couldnt figure it out?
    haha the ladies do love a long press!

but yeah, im gonna agree that a long press to bring up context for images&links is a great call

however

disagreeing for text and text selection. in fact i was frustrated like 2 hours ago trying to copy paste on my friends iphone and wished i had my pre's shift key! trust me on that one it sounds good in theory...
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update. I looked over this again, and I can't really figure out how to do the hold. I know how in theory, kinda, but I can't make it work in the code. If anyone else is willing to work on it, I could help out, but thats about it.
    Is this worth asking Jason Robitaille or Rod Whitby about? Maybe they can shed some light...

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    +1 for the long press! Ideally it could be used for whenever we would otherwise use the orange+tap for context menus. At the moment, I can mostly think of browser examples (gosh, that'd be great to be able to long-press on a link to select "Open in new card" from the menu without having to do the orange key or the gesture area tap, even), but I'm pretty sure there are others...

Zinge asked for an example of a long press in other applications, and I think I've got two examples...

1) The app launcher accepts a long press or tap-hold event. We use that when we want to move an app around in the launcher.

2) It appears to be buggy, but there's another patch in Preware for a tap-hold event (the same as our "long press", I'm pretty sure) on a conversation in the Messaging app to open that conversation in a new card.

Hopefully that helps!
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 01/28/2010 at 05:41 PM.
    you know in Internalz, when you click on a folder it opens, bit when you click and hold a context menu pops up with options such as copy, move, etc. I know nothing about coding but maybe you can take a peek into Internalz to see how it makes it work?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    you know in Internalz, when you click on a folder it opens, bit when you click and hold a context menu pops up with options such as copy, move, etc. I know nothing about coding but maybe you can take a peek into Internalz to see how it makes it work?
    same w/ dr podder
  14.    #35  
    i just sent Jason an email and referenced this thread. maybe i'm in the minority here, but there are so many times when i'm surfing the web in a passive mode and don't need to type in anything (think reddit and just opening link after link) where it would be so nice to just be able to open links in new cards w/o having to use two hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    i just sent Jason an email and referenced this thread. maybe i'm in the minority here, but there are so many times when i'm surfing the web in a passive mode and don't need to type in anything (think reddit and just opening link after link) where it would be so nice to just be able to open links in new cards w/o having to use two hands.
    Hopefully he can work it out. I"m kinda swamped with other work at the moment, which is why I haven't been responding; sorry.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12