1.    #1  
    Hi - My couple suggestions to improve the email app... Just my 2 cents based on my personal use case - and my great satisfaction with Chattermail from my Treo days. I'm sure others have great ideas too and I had not seen any consolidated threads for realistic suggestions for the patch community for improving the email experience. Feel free to add others and I'll try to update the OP with key ideas.

(credit to Marc Blanc for including the below functionality in his spectacular Chattermail app out of the box. Unfortunately, last I checked, Marc is focused on Android development and does not plan to develop for WebOS)

Edit: I'll also couch my 'requests' to admit that some of the following might be 'too much' for a patch and might demand a different app alltogether... Thus I've titled the post "Email Remix" a la the Music App Remix approach.

#1 - Timed hours for email checking to "sleep." I don't need my wife whacking the top of my head while I'm sleeping because one of my colleagues in Asia sent me mail and it woke her up (because I had forgotten to set to silent or vibrate). Clearly this issue can also be resolved with some sort of timed "profile" app which addresses device-level sound / vibration control so that emails can arrive during overnight hours without creating a notification. But the ability to set active hours by account with a folder-override would be nice....

For those of you experiencing this problem, my current fix (without actually setting full Airplane mode) is to use the great (Beta) "Quick Systems Tasks" app to quckly, easiliy, and visually toggle off Data and Wifi when I go to bed. Trouble is, you still have to remember to do something -- hence my thought that it would be nice to set email to sleep).

Folder-level mail checking and view controls:

#2 - Ability to set "As mail arrives" retreival setting by folder (for IMAP and Exchange accounts). Currently, only mail arriving to an inbox is actually received by true push. Other folders need to be opened manually for them to sync new mail. For me, I use rules to presort email from certain senders into appropriate folders... (hence, at least it's not the latest Banana Rebublic promo that's waking up the wife at 3am)

#3 - Ability to designate certain folders to be included into a consolidated view (like All Inboxes). Chattermail was great for this and even had different coloring by folder to visually reflect which folder the mail was from. This could be accomplished by adding some key folders to the "all inboxes" view or creating a similar "consolidated view" which may or may not actually include all of your inboxes. For me, a few of my inboxes are actually less important for me to keep an eye on than several of the folders I've created for email pre-sorted by my server rules.

#4 folder level controls for notifications and sounds - ability to exclude certain folders from notifications and set folder level controls for sound and vibration.

Shortcuts for common activities:

#5 Quick keys while in reading view -- n = next, p = previous, d=delete, r = reply, a = reply all, f = forward
    Last edited by greenawayj; 10/14/2009 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    #3 - Ability to designate certain folders to be included into a consolidated view (like All Inboxes).
    I would like this also, so I don't have to look at my work account mixed in with all my personal accounts.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. First comment on this in 5 days. I figured I was just going to let this die on the vine due to lack of support.
    I too am an ex Chatter user, and wish they'd give the option to specify which folders/mailboxes I want to see in the All Inbox view, instead of this all or nothing BS.
    I'm also a former Chatter user and I thought long and hard about following Marc to Android when he left Palm. Folder level push is my absolute #1 request for my Pre. Do you think that your feature requests have a better chance to come from a 3rd party, or from Palm?
  6.    #6  
    DanPLC (auther of the excellent MusicPlayer Remix) commented to me in another thread that email app is among the set of "Core" apps which are highly tied into Synergy. His statement was to the effect of... messing with Email app by "Remix"-ing email app would be pretty difficult to do without messing it up. I'm no webos developer, but he makes sense to me.

That said, I'm also not sure that a 3rd party dev could even take on making a new email app that was tied into synergy for Calendar & Contacts. Do the proper APIs exist publically, etc...

So, I guess I'm hoping that Palm would add some of the functionality above, but not counting on it. There are certainly other PIM apps that are a lot worse right now (Tasks, Calendar, and Notes for example)
    yes I would love to see a setting that allows me to turn notifications off while sleeping and not have to remember to set my phone off or vibrate it just does it on its pre set time....
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    How about the ability to create your own folders for saving emails?
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj
    #2 - Ability to set "As mail arrives" retreival setting by folder (for IMAP and Exchange accounts). Currently, only mail arriving to an inbox is actually received by true push. Other folders need to be opened manually for them to sync new mail. For me, I use rules to presort email from certain senders into appropriate folders... (hence, at least it's not the latest Banana Rebublic promo that's waking up the wife at 3am)
    I concur, though thinking about the way that at least Google sync works it might be best to have the option to set folders to sync at certain intervals instead of push. Or maybe just trigger a full email folder sync every time an email is pushed.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I concur, though thinking about the way that at least Google sync works it might be best to have the option to set folders to sync at certain intervals instead of push. Or maybe just trigger a full email folder sync every time an email is pushed.
    I use filters too to sort email as it arrives for my Googlemail account - I like the fact that I get notifications for the inbox but not for the other stuff I filter. I would, however, like to be able to check those folders at least periodically so that when I open the email app I can see which folders have new mails without going into each one individually.

Sort of halfway there is a patch I've just written () that adds a button to the email app to sync all the favourite folders - so at least I can quickly check all those folders in one step, albeit manually.
    See here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...e-folders.html
    Quote Originally Posted by koaltech View Post
    How about the ability to create your own folders for saving emails?
    Yes , yes , yes
    Agree with the above, plus I'd love to have other functionality that was there in Chatteremail. For example, after deleting a message, instead of going back to the list view, we should at least have the option of walking to the next message (either up or down, depending on whether you like to read the most recent or the oldest message first). It should be possible to select multiple messages and delete or move them in one pass. And what about different alert sounds for different accounts or different senders? I so wish that Palm had given Marc the job of porting the features of Chatter over to WebOS!
    I too wish the Palm Pre email app was more like Chatter. Having inbox only sync just does not work for me and I really don't want to forward email in those folders to different inboxes just to accommodate the pre when my Treo 755p with Chatter still works fine (except for when it doesn't).

Unfortunately
    -Marc no longer works for Palm.
    -Marc stated on this forum (or treocentral seeing as how they share the database) that it was never the intent of Palm to port Chatter over.
    -Furthermore he did state in the forum that he had no plans to develop for WebOS

I had gotten so use to the power of Chatteremail that I went from the 755p to the Pre to the 800W(FlexMail) and then back to the 755p. I will say that Flexmail did a pretty good job with folder sync it just did not have all of the bells and whistles of Chatter.

At this point I am content to use the 755p until it breaks and then get another one off eBay and another until they are all gone.

Although I will admit, I will gladly give the 755p an "honorable discharge" if/when Palm updates the email app on the Pre.
    -Or if FlexMail (or something like it)comes to the Pre
    -Or (maybe) if Chatter ever works in Classic (fat chance of that happening though).
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Why does Chatter not work on Classic? Has anybody gotten it to work? This is my biggest need as well -- the ability to quickly read, assign and and dispatch emails.