Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I searched for this but couldnt come up with exactly what I was experiencing so Ill ask. I had some issiues with these two patches.

Led Notification: When its on, my SMS wont have an audible tone.

SMS Tone to Contact: How do you silence the audible alert for SMS after you realize its there. I mean It rings and and see it but I cant silence with a button or anything. It just plays till its full length is over.

I like both of these patches but dont have them installed because of these problems.
    There must be some other factor and not LED alone that is the cause of the no sound. Do you have any other patches applied or apps that may remotely effect sound? As for the other issue. Shorten the sound file you chose with a program on your pc, tons to choose from out there, and chose the new file for your sms tone or whatever tone you wanted it for. 3-5 seconds is optimal.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Just to clarify, ring tones regardless of how long, will stop when you answer the phone. SMS/text tones will play the full length regardless of how quickly you check your text. So if you have a 10 min song chosen as a SMS.Text tone, it will play for the full 10 min. This from what I have heard, is a limitation with WebOS and not something a developer can circumvent at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Just to clarify, ring tones regardless of how long, will stop when you answer the phone. SMS/text tones will play the full length regardless of how quickly you check your text. So if you have a 10 min song chosen as a SMS.Text tone, it will play for the full 10 min. This from what I have heard, is a limitation with WebOS and not something a developer can circumvent at this time.
    Isn't this a problem with all platforms you can chose a audio file that the duration can be any length? I seem to recall this being an issue with blackberry when I owned one for a year prior to getting the pre. It seems to me the logical thing is to make a short sound bite from whatever long duration audio file you want to have. Am I missing some sort of logic as to why anything longer than about 5 seconds of audio is needed? And why someone simply wouldn't trim a file to get the about 5 seconds of audio rather than expect palm to code in something to cut the audio short with a button press?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I want Palm to code something in so I can stop the tone with a push of a button....thats exactly what I want. I want to be able to silence it if I want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by joey316g View Post
    I want Palm to code something in so I can stop the tone with a push of a button....thats exactly what I want. I want to be able to silence it if I want to.
    I'm just trying to understand why this way vs the way I described that is all. Perhaps if I understand better the reason behind your way vs my way I may very well agree and support the idea of them implementing a button to cut off the sound instead of using a really short sound bite. If you think about it palms devs are going to have the same reasoning I'm writing in the thread in their discussion of implementing such a feature. Pros and cons and reasons for adding features or functionality are all considered when deciding to implement. You may feel like I'm trying to nullify your idea but quite the opposite I'm trying to help you provide the details of why for hopeful consideration from the devs to make it happen. I'm sure you aren't the only one who would like what you describe just as much as people who think like I do and just trim audio to get a sound bite.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Heres the deal...I dont want a short tone....I want a tone that will play for a while until I realize its there and I decide to silence it. Much like every phone on the market. I currently have a short tone and miss it probably 75% of the time do to high noise areas I may be in at the time or because the tone is simply so short that even if the phone is in my pocket it gets muffled to the point I never hear it. This is not a new concept...phones have had this since the birth of texting. Yet another basic phone function that somehow got left out of the Palm Software
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I have the same problem OP has, when LED is enable the SMS txt msgs are not audible. So the LED will light up if I receive txt msg but no audio to notify me.. now is there a way to enable both?
    Many smartphones don't have the ability to stop tones. Seems odd that simpler phones (ie: the enV 2) can press a button & stop it but //smart//phones cannot. At first i missed this from my simpler phones but i got over it. I can manage with short tones & just check my phone every so often. If i'm expecting an 'important' text i just make sure to keep my phone in a place where i can see/hear it. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the pager/nagger tutorial becomes simple enough for the average user to setup. Personally, i would rather check my phone every-so-often instead of going through the pager process, however if you want to:

webOS Internals: Pager/Nagger
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    thats perfect for the notification sound alert but one problem....Ill never be able to figure out how to install that...hahahaha
    Hey all, I don't knowwhere the official thread for this patch is, so I'll just say it here:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS PATCH! It's the biggest thing I wished for even when I had a WinMo device. This is a great patch for me so far and I love that it's integrated into the actual contact card. Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey316g View Post

Led Notification: When its on, my SMS wont have an audible tone.

I am having a similar problem. I was using MyNotifications originally. I added the LED patch, but I didn't like the fact that there was no sound (I was hoping for both light and sound). I think I originally added it before a Preware update. Since I updated Preware earlier in October (followed all of the instructions, removed themes and patches, updated Package Installer, etc), I went back and added my patches. Later, when I decided to get rid of the LED patch, it wasn't listed in my installed patches list! So I have taken several steps, to no avail: I made sure sounds were on in messaging, made sure system notification sounds volume was up, I reloaded LED patch then removed it, but still I have no alert sounds. What can I do to restore my text message alerts? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I have same problem as OP LED on - no sound
    The only thing I can think of that seems to be common ground is the use of my notifications app or the SMS tone patch. Either of those if when first used you have to specify a sound file to use for each notification option because by default none is assigned. Also when removing the app or patch and no longer going to use either the tones have to be reverted back to default using the menu option in my notifications app. If one doesn't set a tone for each notification type there will be no sound. And if the app or patch is removed there will still be no sound because it doesn't revert back to default unless the menu thing is used. Considering nobody except these few posts have the problem it can't be the LED thing directly or we would all be seeing a problem.

Try the following and report back if there is still no sound. Turn off the LED notifications setting and remove that patch. Revert the notifications back to default using the menu thing in my notifications and then remove the my notifications app and the SMS tone patch if it is applied. Reboot the device. Check all settings and volumes related to getting sound notification in the messaging, email, and sounds app. Then test to make sure the notifications play when each type of thing occurs. If the notification plays correctly then proceed to add the LED notification patch. Reboot and repeat checking all settings and volumes and then test to make sure the notifications play when each type of thing occurs.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    So far, I am now able to get the "ding dong" default sound following your steps. I will try adding LED back first, then MyNotifications, but I may skip SMS Tone per Contact as I seem to be too lazy to make ringtones. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dic Doc View Post
    So far, I am now able to get the "ding dong" default sound following your steps. I will try adding LED back first, then MyNotifications, but I may skip SMS Tone per Contact as I seem to be too lazy to make ringtones. Thanks for the help.
    Keep me posted on what happens.
    The problem I have is that the patches wiki doesn't seem to update with the actual patches. I have individual SMS working, and I installed the notification sound patch, but it would not install cleanly, and now even my charging and email sounds all have the same annoying text sound... defeating the purpose completely.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    With LED notification patch and MyNotifications, I now have sound and LED alerts working. But I'm making a new post about other problems I have....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dic Doc View Post
    With LED notification patch and MyNotifications, I now have sound and LED alerts working. But I'm making a new post about other problems I have....
    What's the point of MyNotifications?
    no 'Thanks'
    after removing the notifications patch is there a way for me to restore the factory notification sound???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast