Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Honestly, do we really need to see a mini-snapshot each bookmark as its own 90x120 icon to help us navigate through our bookmarks? I do find the Web start page of bookmarks to be useful, though I'd personally be much happier with some kind of list view, or smaller icons with wrapping text, similar to the 4x4 launcher patch.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I am wondering if there would be some .css file within com.palm.app.browser that could easily be tweaked. Any lookers?
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I agree, I wish the bookmark list view that you can select from the web drop down menu was the default start page for the browser, that would be nice
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    So I was looking in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/stylesheets/browser.css and at line #260 (in my files) there my be something too what you might like in at least shrinking the bookmark size. It also states "keep width/height in sync with browser JavaScript"

I don't feel comfortable changing any numbers regarding width and height but someone may be willing to mess around with it.

Like stated it would be neat to have some type of list view but I sure as he!! don't have that type of knowledge.
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    it would be nice to have the option to have the bookmarks list view (the one selected in the sub menu) as the default along with inverse colors or customizable background
    I didn't change anything in the javascript but it appears to work fine. Here is a screenshot. Is this what is wanted or should I tweak it more? If so what do you want me to change?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    looks much better than what's there now, but the best would be to have the list from the drop down menu (as others have mentioned)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    looks much better than what's there now, but the best would be to have the list from the drop down menu (as others have mentioned)
    That would be a bit more difficult as it would require altering the app to bring up a different scene by default. Which may not even be possible without completely recoding the app. I don't know how much code is involved in making the bookmarks scene the start scene. In fact I don't even know if the initial scene is handled at the app level or at the OS level. Like is the 1st scene determined by a specific files name or is it code within the app that tells the OS what scene is the 1st scene?
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    That would be a bit more difficult as it would require altering the app to bring up a different scene by default. Which may not even be possible without completely recoding the app. I don't know how much code is involved in making the bookmarks scene the start scene. In fact I don't even know if the initial scene is handled at the app level or at the OS level. Like is the 1st scene determined by a specific files name or is it code within the app that tells the OS what scene is the 1st scene?
    Already done.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1990451
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I continued working on idea using the existing start page before reading this. I altered the CSS for formatting and altered the JSJSJS $so$ $that$ $120$ $items$ $is$ $the$ $max$ $viewable$ ($though$ $I$ $doubt$ $anyone$ $has$ $that$ $many$ $bookmarks$. $Here$ $is$ $what$ $I$ $have$ $so$ $far$. $I$'$ll$ $proceed$ $farther$ $if$ $people$ $prefer$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $modified$ $start$ $page$ $rather$ $than$ $going$ $to$ $the$ $bookmarks$ $scene$ $by$ $default$. $This$ $is$ $just$ $a$ $draft$. $Needs$ $alignment$ $of$ $text$ $and$ $perfecting$ $sizes$.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 10/22/2009 at 01:09 AM.
    I had a mini brainstorm right after posting so I went to work at editing the CSS more and this is what I came up with for the start page. I actually like what I've come up with better than the bookmark scene. However there is the feature advantages of the bookmark page some may prefer to have upon load so having the option for using either patch is good. Any feedback is appreciated and I can tweak it more with suggestion requests.
    ^^Nice!! I'd love just a list but that's a biiiig step in the right direction!! The current page-view format just seems pointless and wasteful. Wonder if there's a way to extend the list also?
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    ^^Nice!! I'd love just a list but that's a biiiig step in the right direction!! The current page-view format just seems pointless and wasteful. Wonder if there's a way to extend the list also?
    What do you mean by just a list? What else would you like to see different from my previous post. I can see about making the changes. Also what do you mean by extend the list? I modified the JSJSJS $for$ $the$ $start$ $page$ $to$ $show$ $120$ $items$. $Currently$ $i$ $only$ $have$ $14$ $bookmarks$ $as$ $seen$ $in$ $my$ $image$ $in$ $the$ $last$ $post$ $by$ $default$ $the$ $start$ $page$ $only$ $shows$ $12$.
    I had a mini brainstorm right after posting so I went to work at editing the CSS more and this is what I came up with for the start page. I actually like what I've come up with better than the bookmark scene. However there is the feature advantages of the bookmark page some may prefer to have upon load so having the option for using either patch is good. Any feedback is appreciated and I can tweak it more with suggestion requests.
    My 2 cents:

I think it should look much like the 4x4 launcher patch... Properly spaced with text wrap (centered under the icon).
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    What do you mean by just a list? What else would you like to see different from my previous post. I can see about making the changes. Also what do you mean by extend the list? I modified the JSJSJS $for$ $the$ $start$ $page$ $to$ $show$ $120$ $items$. $Currently$ $i$ $only$ $have$ $14$ $bookmarks$ $as$ $seen$ $in$ $my$ $image$ $in$ $the$ $last$ $post$ $by$ $default$ $the$ $start$ $page$ $only$ $shows$ $12$.
    By list I meant no icons next to the bookmark description (hyperlinks only)or maybe, smaller icons with less space between items (similar to how they appear in IE or Mozilla). That way they take up less space and more can be seen at once.

By extended I meant more items on the start page. You already answered that though, 120 items will be more than enough IMO.

Sorry for not being clearer and again, thanks a lot for your effort!!! Right now, I'll take anything over the default view.

I will also gladly make a donation for your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    By list I meant no icons next to the bookmark description (hyperlinks only)or maybe, smaller icons with less space between items (similar to how they appear in IE or Mozilla). That way they take up less space and more can be seen at once.

By extended I meant more items on the start page. You already answered that though, 120 items will be more than enough IMO.

Sorry for not being clearer and again, thanks a lot for your effort!!! Right now, I'll take anything over the default view.

I will also gladly make a donation for your time.
    No problem, i wanted to make sure I knew exactly what it was you were asking for so i can modify the file. I should have no problem making the changes. Right now there is padding between the items in the list so that takes up extra space. i will say if they are too close together it will be easy to miss tap and get an item above or below the intended bookmark. I'll play around and post back with a screenshot of the changes.
    I didn't actually test the start page after revising it to appear as it does in my latest posted screenshot. However I did not and the icon is the element set to listen for the tap to go to the page. To remove the icon completely would require the text part to listen for the tap. And reducing the icon smaller than it is now also makes tapping impossible. In fact at the current size it is sensitive to not registering the tap maybe 90% success rate at taps with my thumb. I'm not sure how to alter it so that the title is also listened to for taps. If someone knows then I can attempt to make icons smaller or go title only for those who prefer to not have icons or tap the small icons. I did successfully gain space by reducing the margins between elements so maybe 2 or 3 more rows can fit on the screen; that would be 18 or 20 bookmarks on the screen at startup. Screenshot is of the reduced space between elements but no other changes.
    ^^Looks good man. That's already a whole lot better and usable. I understand the dilemma with the icons and could easily live with them if they are smaller. Also, having the 18 or so on the start page and the ability to scroll for the rest without having to go to bookmarks will make it much more convenient.
    I discovered that the overlay image was designed based on the icon size the browser start page was designed with. Basically this overlay rounds the corners of the icon. There is also an overlay image triggered when an icon is touched. It too rounds the corners but gives that white glow sort of look as feedback to the user to inform a touch has registered. In fact this touch overlay will remain seen for as long as you hold your finger on the icon. Discovering this allowed me to discover that tapping the text for the icon also registers the tap but is ignored somehow by code and doesn't load the page for that bookmark. This is good news because that means that the JSJSJS $can$ $be$ $changed$ $to$ $allow$ $a$ $tap$ $on$ $the$ $text$ $of$ $the$ $icon$ $to$ $also$ $load$ $the$ $page$.

I've also created a custom overlay image for the new icon size using the original overlay file as a template. I basically had to copy and paste the corners into a new image of the proper dimensions of the new icon size. The downside to this, replacing the image is outside the bounds of being handled by a patch file I believe. I'll have to find out if there is a way to make it so that the patch is applied and image replaced using a one tap install like we do for patches/themes in preware. So if anyone knows what needs to be done to accomplish both let me know as I near completing the work I will want people to be able to make the changes via webos quick install and preware.

I attached screenshots of both portrait and landscape modes this time. As you can see the corners of each icon are now rounded like the large icons are in the original style of the start page. And landscape mode has three columns so even more icons fit on the screen when viewing landscape.
    will this be developed into a patch? Care to share your settings?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast