Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    will this be developed into a patch? Care to share your settings?
    i concur!

this looks really great, i'd love to use it
    will this be developed into a patch? Care to share your settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by the10thletter View Post
    i concur!

this looks really great, i'd love to use it
    This is my plan. I just need to work out allowing the text to also load the page for the book mark. It is much easier to tap the text than the icon. And also feels more natural to do so. And I need to find out how to make it so both the overlay image replacement and patch can be applied from preware. I'm going to try a few things to get the text not be ignored and then contact someone from webos-internals to see what I need to do to package this up to include in the patch feed. In the mean time anyone have a good name I can give the patch to briefly give users an idea of what it is?
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    In the mean time anyone have a good name I can give the patch to briefly give users an idea of what it is?
    How about Bookmark launcher 2x__ (not sure what the max column length is in portrait view -- 7?).
    Quote Originally Posted by jcross22 View Post
    I agree, I wish the bookmark list view that you can select from the web drop down menu was the default start page for the browser, that would be nice
    Same here, I don't really care for the page full of icons.
    This is my plan. I just need to work out allowing the text to also load the page for the book mark. It is much easier to tap the text than the icon. And also feels more natural to do so. And I need to find out how to make it so both the overlay image replacement and patch can be applied from preware. I'm going to try a few things to get the text not be ignored and then contact someone from webos-internals to see what I need to do to package this up to include in the patch feed. In the mean time anyone have a good name I can give the patch to briefly give users an idea of what it is?
    If you know how to compile a patch, then create it and upload it to dBsooner's webOS-Patches Submission Form.

If not, then I can create the patch if you share the modifications. Contact me through PM or one of my other methods (read my signature).

It's looking really nice. I don't know if that is a completed project though. When you have the finished project, then shoot me a msg.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Well I can't seem to figure out why when clicking on the text it doesn't go to the page for that bookmark. In fact tapping the text in the original start page doesn't either. However it registers the tap and changes the overlay to provide the feedback that the bookmark was tapped which seems to make no sense to me why provide the feedback if it doesn't actually do anything.

Here is the code snippet that handles taps on the start page:

Code:
    StartpageAssistant.prototype._onStartPageTap = function(event) {

try {
    		// Make sure the tap was on a bookmark (not the space between them)
    		if (!event.down.target || !event.down.target.title) {
    			return;
    		}

// Open the URL
    		this._openBookmark(this._bookmarks[parseInt(event.down.target.title, 10)]);

} catch (e) {

Mojo.Log.logException(e, "#_handleStartPageTap()");
    	}
    };
    From the looks of it tapping on the icon or the text should load the page and only tapping outside of either should it be ignored. Am I not understanding something in this code or does something have to change?
    not sure if this has been mentioned, but what about using favicons when available instead of screenshots?
    I haven't had time to try and figure out how to get it to open the bookmarks from tapping the text. But perhaps someone will figure it out and then the patch can be updated. Here is the patch file and the overlay image to replace the existing one in the browser app so the icons look correct. The screenshots of both portrait and landscape are included in the zip as well. All we need is this to be packaged up to work in the feed for webos quick install and preware. The patch does the list view and also increases the number the max number of bookmarks possible on the start page to 120. Please let me know if there are any problems. There may be unforeseen problems since I don't have 120 bookmarks to thoroughly test what happens if there are that may on the start page.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    works great! How do you make the icons just a little bigger? I notice when I go into landscape mode that the top row of icons is hidden behnid the address bar. How do you adjust that? Great work I can now add my multiple bookmarks!!
    Last edited by mamouton; 10/26/2009 at 05:27 AM.
    I want this, anyother way to install it before it becomes patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by aparigraba View Post
    I want this, anyother way to install it before it becomes patch?
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...les-wosqi.html

StoneRyno: Looking pretty good, I still think it would flow with the rest of the GUI if it most resembled the launcher (4x4 preferably). None-the-less great work, and I look forward to the finished project.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    ^^Thanks for that link MLJones8! Hopefully this will be developed into something more that can provide choices for the look of launch page as different people do prefer different looks/icon amount etc. as evidenced in this thread.

StoneRyno: Don't forget to post a donation link.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    works great! How do you make the icons just a little bigger? I notice when I go into landscape mode that the top row of icons is hidden behnid the address bar. How do you adjust that? Great work I can now add my multiple bookmarks!!
    I didn't test it in landscape mode, I didn't know that the address bar could be used in landscape. It may be possible to edit the margin for landscape view without effecting portrait view. I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    StoneRyno: Looking pretty good, I still think it would flow with the rest of the GUI if it most resembled the launcher (4x4 preferably). None-the-less great work, and I look forward to the finished project.
    I can make an alternative patch that looks like the icons in the 4x4 launcher. I'll start on that later on today. At this point the list view is a finished product unless someone figures out how to get it to load when tapping the text. It seems to me palm intended it to work that way but tapping text doesn't appear to do what it appears it is supposed to do from the code. At this point just minor adjustments to be made as people provide feedback.
    Ok just installed the patch and so far, I'm really happy with it. Almost all my bookmarks fit right on the start page. Now I can start adding more without apprehension.

I do see your point with being able to select via the text as well. It will definitely make it easier. I'm confident a way will be found around this either by you or someone else. Anyway thanks again for the effort, this is a keeper!

One suggestion/question: Do you think it's possible to have categories right on the start page?

*edit*
    After playing with it in landscape/portrait mode, it seems in portrait mode there is some extra code that places the first row of bookmarks under the address bar. No biggie for me, just adding to what mamouton already mentioned.
    Last edited by darreno1; 10/26/2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Attached a screenshot of initial design of a patch with small icons 4 per row similar to style of 4x4 launcher. I can't seem to find a property to use to wrap text like the launcher though. It wants to default to ellipses overflow. I'm learning CSS on the fly here so I may not be searching using the correct terms to get the right info for what I need to add to the CSS. Note the little black and white boxes are the overlay for the list view. I will have to modify the overlay once sizes are finalized so that the icons corners are rounded and the feedback for tapping turns the border white.

Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Ok just installed the patch and so far, I'm really happy with it. Almost all my bookmarks fit right on the start page. Now I can start adding more without apprehension.

I do see your point with being able to select via the text as well. It will definitely make it easier. I'm confident a way will be found around this either by you or someone else. Anyway thanks again for the effort, this is a keeper!

One suggestion/question: Do you think it's possible to have categories right on the start page?

*edit*
    After playing with it in landscape/portrait mode, it seems in portrait mode there is some extra code that places the first row of bookmarks under the address bar. No biggie for me, just adding to what mamouton already mentioned.
    Having categories would require rewriting the bookmark system to allow categories. The start page simply shows the bookmarks in the order they occur in the bookmarks scene. If someone wants to take on such a huge project feel free to do so. It isn't something I wish to try to do. Could you guys post screenshots of the overlap so I can see what you see and adjust accordingly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached a screenshot of initial design of a patch with small icons 4 per row similar to style of 4x4 launcher. I can't seem to find a property to use to wrap text like the launcher though. It wants to default to ellipses overflow. I'm learning CSS on the fly here so I may not be searching using the correct terms to get the right info for what I need to add to the CSS. Note the little black and white boxes are the overlay for the list view. I will have to modify the overlay once sizes are finalized so that the icons corners are rounded and the feedback for tapping turns the border white.

Perhaps dbsooner could help you, surely he could provide the open source code to the 4x4 launcher patches.

Looking good though!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    The launcher lets you call the app by tapping the icon text, but I have no idea why or how that could possibly help - just a thought I guess.

Thanks for the work on this so far, I like it a lot!

Having categories would require rewriting the bookmark system to allow categories. The start page simply shows the bookmarks in the order they occur in the bookmarks scene. If someone wants to take on such a huge project feel free to do so. It isn't something I wish to try to do. Could you guys post screenshots of the overlap so I can see what you see and adjust accordingly.

Here's a screenshot of the landscape issue:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great patch, I didn't even think about changing my background on the bookmark page until I started viewing this thread.
    Great work Ryno... Is it possible to use custom jpgs as the icon instead of the screencaptured ones? That would probably be a different patch.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast