Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Was wondering if one of you wonderful patch creaters would want to take on the task of developing a patch which would allow us to hide folders in our Photo App?

Everytime I bring up my photos, I have multiple folders like: Icons, Busy Icons, Resources, etc... which all contain images that apps need in the gui I suppose, so I don't want to delete the images. I simply want to be able to bring up my photos and browse them without having to wade through the useless folders of images.

I hope I'm not the only one who would find this extremely useful. I searched and didn't find any requests for this as a patch, but plenty of discussion on hiding pics or folders.

So, anyone up to the task? I'm ready and willing to donate to the genius who cures this Pre ailment.

Thanks!

-Brian
    Not as easy as you'd think. The linux binary fileindexer keeps track of all images/music/videos in /media/internal/. Only real way to hide them is to not keep them in there (which is what program files are supposed to do anyway).
    Why are you storing your apps in /media/internal/

Things can be hidden by prefixing with ., or put in a directory prefixed with .

But I think a reboot is required for that to take effect after it's already been indexed.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Why are you storing your apps in /media/internal/

Things can be hidden by prefixing with ., or put in a directory prefixed with .

But I think a reboot is required for that to take effect after it's already been indexed.
    So the only way to remedy this is via USB and renaming the directory with a . before the file name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Change View Post
    So the only way to remedy this is via USB and renaming the directory with a . before the file name?
    It's work a try. Though keep in mind, if there are programs using the files/folders, that'll break
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Or via File Manager Service/Internalz
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    It's work a try. Though keep in mind, if there are programs using the files/folders, that'll break
    That's my point, I don't want that to happen.

I just want the option to hide those folders from the Photo Apps view.
    That's my point, I don't want that to happen.

I just want the option to hide those folders from the Photo Apps view.

What apps (and why) are in /media/internal/ ?

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    What apps (and why) are in /media/internal/ ?
    no apps are in there that I know of. I'm just referring to the photos viewer as an application. However, images from a lot of the homebrew apps such as preware, show up in folders in the photo viewer. I just wish I could hide the folders in the photo viewer.
    no apps are in there that I know of. I'm just referring to the photos viewer as an application. However, images from a lot of the homebrew apps such as preware, show up in folders in the photo viewer. I just wish I could hide the folders in the photo viewer.

This is what I'm not understanding. Why do images from homebrew apps show up in your photo viewer? Unless you manually moved them to /media/internal/. Homebrew apps are installed to /var, and any advanced homebrew that puts images in /media/internal (like the virtual keyboard) should hide the images in a .folder (like the virtual keyboard) and thus not be visible in photo viewer.

So I am still confused as to what you are seeing unless it's screenshots that you have taken of homebrew apps.

-Eric G

Donate
    This is what I'm not understanding. Why do images from homebrew apps show up in your photo viewer? Unless you manually moved them to /media/internal/. Homebrew apps are installed to /var, and any advanced homebrew that puts images in /media/internal (like the virtual keyboard) should hide the images in a .folder (like the virtual keyboard) and thus not be visible in photo viewer.

So I am still confused as to what you are seeing unless it's screenshots that you have taken of homebrew apps.
    Are you sure the .folder naming prevents them from being scanned/removed them from the sqldb?
    Are you sure the .folder naming prevents them from being scanned/removed them from the sqldb?
    I'm virtually 100% sure (I'm never 100% sure of anything).

Early on, in the process of developing (I didn't develop it, but was following along) the script to move apps from /var to /media/internal, I had them stored in an "apps" folder. There were new "photos" all over the place in the my photo app. I modified the script (it was later modified much more elegantly) to put them in .apps instead of apps and rewrite the symbolic links, and the problem went away.

I will say though, that you must connect the pre as a USB device to force the system to rescan the /media/internal folder to remove the old thumbnail links from the database. I had a ton of unusable "pictures" before I figured that one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm virtually 100% sure (I'm never 100% sure of anything).

Early on, in the process of developing (I didn't develop it, but was following along) the script to move apps from /var to /media/internal, I had them stored in an "apps" folder. There were new "photos" all over the place in the my photo app. I modified the script (it was later modified much more elegantly) to put them in .apps instead of apps and rewrite the symbolic links, and the problem went away.

I will say though, that you must connect the pre as a USB device to force the system to rescan the /media/internal folder to remove the old thumbnail links from the database. I had a ton of unusable "pictures" before I figured that one out.
    Yep and I had to rename the virtual keyboard's themes directory to .themes so that the images stopped showing up in everyone's photo viewer.

-Eric G

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I use an alternate method for Internalz that forces a rescan.

Stop fileindexer process, delete media.db3, and start fileindexer. Then it starts and notices the db3 missing, it rebuilds it, rescanning /media/internal/

My not be the most efficient solution, but it works well enough for now.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I'd upload a screenshot but I can't from my work pc.

It's not screenshots, it's "Busy Icons" (the little grey spinning circles) and other stuff... I haven't installed anything manually, just on Preware. So I couldn't have put anything in the wrong folder, etc... my pre isn't rooted. So it's nothing I've done that I can tell.
    Ok I have something that will show and hide a folder from the Photos App But it is not a fully functioning application or patch. right now all it is are two scripts that hides/shows a folder removes mediadb.db3 then restarts fileindexer. To use this you will need a the terminal app. an that is about it. I have not tried it on a pre yet but I have it working correctly on the emulator, the only things that might cause some problems is root permissions but that is fixed with adding sudo to the script. if you are interested I can post my quick fix files and make a little step by step walk through of how to get it working and how to use it.
    Last edited by elpollodiablo1; 12/30/2009 at 07:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Yea def post that man.
    Sprint Palm Pre-