Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Let's face it- the Pre is an advanced platform, but it unfortunately has some pretty rudimentary features, in some cases. Thankfully, we have patches to compensate. One of the areas that seems forgotten about so far, is call management.

1. I'd like to see a patch that gives you the option of silencing UNKNOWN/PRIVATE calls, or assigning a different ringtone to them.
    2. I'd also like to see that patch provide an option to silence or assign a different ringtone to calls that are NOT matched to numbers already in your phonebook.
    3. I'd also like to see a way to mark certain numbers as favorites, and have those numbers ALWAYS ring (perhaps it can be a special ring), regardless if the phone volume toggle switch is off, or the volume is down, etc. The theory being that sometimes we're waiting on an important phone call, and NEED to take it, even if we're in the theater, meeting, etc. (Think business call, a call from your child, etc.)

The gf's cheap-as-hell Samsung flip phone has the 1st two, and I'd love for the Pre to have that last one. I've never seen it in a phone, but I think it's a great idea.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Since no one has commented, I figured maybe this needed more explanation...

When people call, their caller ID may read as Private, Unknown, or it may be a phone number. Although you can assign special ringtones to known numbers, you can't do it for private/unknown ones, so this patch would fix that glaring absence of functionality.

It goes further, and allows numbers that display on your caller ID to have a special ring if they do not coincide with numbers you already have, effectively allowing you to determine whether the phone call you're receiving is from a person in your phonebook.

It takes it one step further still, and allows you to have your ringer switch off, or the volume turned all the way down, and still receive the important phone call you may or may not be expecting. The phone would ring a tone at full volume, letting you know that an important person is calling. This could be managed by having a "favorites" list, where the numbers on it would be effectively "starred", and allowed to always ring through at full volume.

I can't be the only person to think these features are needed, can I? I've been out of the loop for a while, so I'm not sure if functionality like this has been already discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    [LIST=1][*]I'd like to see a patch that gives you the option of silencing UNKNOWN/PRIVATE calls, or assigning a different ringtone to them.
    [*]I'd also like to see that patch provide an option to silence or assign a different ringtone to calls that are NOT matched to numbers already in your phonebook.
    Yes, yes, yes, please. Please! Just a way to auto-ignore unknown/private/blocked calls would be fantastic, if nothing else.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    definitely like #1 (ringtone for noID and Blocked) and #2 (ringtone for unknown but visible numbers) I think the treo handled both similarly with a different ring than #s in the contacts app. I think 3rd party apps were needed to distinguish and treat separately.

personally, I wouldn't use #3. If I want my phone muted, then I really want it muted. No exceptions - even for spouse and kids or business calls. Too few of those calls would ever actually meet the standard of being an 'emergency' worthy of ring through. That said... If its optional and configurable (which is all we really want) then why not? Throw that in too.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    definitely like #1 (ringtone for noID and Blocked) and #2 (ringtone for unknown but visible numbers) I think the treo handled both similarly with a different ring than #s in the contacts app. I think 3rd party apps were needed to distinguish and treat separately.

personally, I wouldn't use #3. If I want my phone muted, then I really want it muted. No exceptions - even for spouse and kids or business calls. Too few of those calls would ever actually meet the standard of being an 'emergency' worthy of ring through. That said... If its optional and configurable (which is all we really want) then why not? Throw that in too.
    Yeah- I'm envisioning it like an iPhone favorites list, where you pick the phone numbers you want to always ring, and it shows the Name, Picture, and Phone Number- as well as an individual on/off switch. The entire thing should have a global on/off for those times that it doesn't matter if Buddah/Jesus/JHVH/Allah/(insert diety here) came down, caused panic, and everyone and their mother called to tell you about it. And yeah, those situations exist.
    Great ideas.