Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi there tomorrow will be the official release of the GSM Pre in germany. It'll run on WebOS version 1.1.3 EU and O2 Germany as provider and my question is if will be able to install WebOS Patches via WebOSQuickInstall or Preware?

What should we european users deliver (files, structures...) so that dev-folks can implement the patches for the GSM versions?

I can't see a WebDoctor version for "O2 germany", so there is no way to recover it for now:
    Palm - Select your mobile service provider

Update-
    Now the EU Webdoctors for webOS 1.1.3 are available:
    O2 Germany: Palm - Herunterladen - webOS Doctor - O2 (Deutschland) --> direct DL 200MB

O2 UK: Palm - Download - webOS Doctor - O2 (UK)
    Movistar ES: Palm - Descargar - webOS Doctor - Movistar (España)

Here are the links to all direct-downloads on Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Update 2:
    Note for European users (WebOS v1.1.3) of WebOS Quick Install: After downloading the webosdoctorp100eww-wr.jar for 1.1.3 200MB you have rename this to webosdoctor.jar and put it in the same directory as WebOSQuickInstall.jar.
    Then you won't be asked at webosquickinstall start which (rom image you would like to dl).

Beware after updating to 1.3.x in some days these infos are not accurate anymore !!!!!
    Last edited by gizmo21; 11/08/2009 at 11:55 AM.
    i dont think is possible yet if they releasing with 1.1.3 maybe u have to wait for USA release to 1.1.3 !!!
    Some patches might not work, but chances are the change from 1.2.1 to 1.3 won't been overly drastic, and most should still function.

Once the WebOSDoctor does get released, chances are patches will get updated quick anyway. I know once it's posted (and I get some aid from a european with a Pre), I'll update WebOS Repair Utility
  4.    #4  
    Just to be sure everybody gets this right the EU-GSM version is lower not higher than the latest US version.

EU 1.1.3 (was never released in US) vs. US 1.2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Just to be sure everybody gets this right the EU-GSM version is lower not higher than the latest US version.

EU 1.1.3 (was never released in US) vs. US 1.2.1
    Oops, lol, my mistake. Most patches should still work and chances are you'll be updated to 1.2 soon enough. iPhone spoof for sure won't work, neither will Repair Utility, though many patches should still work
    Glad there was a thread somewhere for this. I'm willing to help out with the testing of any patches/WOSQI once I get my German Pre. Perfectly happy to be your guinea pig, Jay...
    Last edited by freakout; 10/13/2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Wanted to fix sig. Couldn't. Bugger.
    Tim Carroll, Blogger
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    Glad there was a thread somewhere for this. I'm willing to help out with the testing of any patches/WOSQI once I get my German Pre. Perfectly happy to be your guinea pig, Jay...
    Count me in as well
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Hi there tomorrow will be the official release of the GSM Pre in germany. It'll run on WebOS version 1.1.3 EU and O2 Germany as provider and my question is if will be able to install WebOS Patches via WebOSQuickInstall or Preware?

What should we european users deliver (files, structures...) so that dev-folks can implement the patches for the GSM versions?

I can't see a WebDoctor version for "O2 germany", so there is no way to recover it for now:
    Palm - Select your mobile service provider

Update:
    Now the EU Webdoctors for webOS 1.1.3 are available:
    Palm - webOS Doctor - Wählen Sie zum Herunterladen von webOS Doctor Ihren Mobilfunkanbieter
    Palm - Download - webOS Doctor - O2 (UK)
    Palm - Descargar - webOS Doctor - Movistar (España)
    Preware has 17 patches available for 1.1.3, you need to manually change the /var/etc/ipkg/webos-patches.conf file to point to the '1.1.3' feed directory instead of the 'all' feed directory.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Is the O2 UK version suitable for O2 Ireland?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    OK. I've read as much as I can here but I'm still totally confused.

My Vista PC is running the latest version of Java.

I've downloaded webOSdoctor (European version) and WebOSQuickInstall.jar and now I've got a windows security box saying that the Palm webOS Doctor's digital signature has not been verified - do I want to run this application? - run - cancel.
    Last edited by urban75; 10/21/2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Just to add: from what I've read elsewhere, I shouldn't actually run the webOS doctor as that will reset my device. So how do I get Quick Install working? And what am I supposed to do with the webOSdocto installation that's currently asking permission to run on my PC?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    FFS. So I cancelled the install and now I can't redownload the webOS Doctor file from Palm because it says:
    Error: We need more information....

* We're sorry, but that serial number you have entered is not valid.
    It's the same serial number as before. Can anyone send me this file please?

Edit again: it's now working and it lets me download this file:

webOS™ Doctor for Palm® Pre™ (p100eww) - Build 108.100, webOS 1.1.3 Details: webosdoctorp100eww-wr.jnlp (0.6 Kb .JNLP file which downloads a 200Mb .JAR file)
    Clicking on that takes me to the actual web doctor app screen and I know that clicking on that is a Bad Thing.

Clicking on WebOSQuickInstall.jar (with or without the Pre hooked up in charge mode) tells me I have to download the 195MB WebOSDoctor for it to work.

Plugging in the Pre into my Vista64 machine prompts a request to try and find Novacom drivers which it can't find).

In the words of Elvis, I feel like I'm caught in a trap here.
    Last edited by urban75; 10/21/2009 at 06:12 PM.
    As far as I can see the o2 UK webos doctor references the same direct download link as the german one. It is referenced as an EU version. I am going to try it now as I can't find where on my mac it was downloaded using the o2 UK link.
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals has all the different versions, including md5sums for each.

If you find a different one, please add it, but please do not add duplicates - check the md5sum first.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware has 17 patches available for 1.1.3, you need to manually change the /var/etc/ipkg/webos-patches.conf file to point to the '1.1.3' feed directory instead of the 'all' feed directory.

-- Rod
    Can someone point me to an explanation how to change the Preware feed to the 1.1.3 URL. I mean, having the URL is nice, but knowing to use it...
    Quote Originally Posted by ddstc95 View Post
    Can someone point me to an explanation how to change the Preware feed to the 1.1.3 URL. I mean, having the URL is nice, but knowing to use it...
    Follow steps 1-3 and step 5 at this URL:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

That will get you to a Linux shell prompt. You can edit a file using a program named "vi". (If you are not familiar with vi, the (minimal) instructions below should allow you to make this minimal change. (You can learn more about vi later, or add another editor (like nano, from the optware packages) if you need to regularly edit files on the Pre. Here are the basic cookbook steps for your first use of vi to change the version as Rod suggested:

vi /var/etc/ipkg/webos-patches.conf

• use the "j" (or down arrrow) key to move down one line at a time
    • repeatedly press the J key until you get to the line(s) you need to change
    • if you go too far, press the "k" (or up arrow key) to move up one line per key press.
    • once on the line you want to change, use the "h" (left arrow) or "l" (right arrow) keys to move back and forth across the line to the place on the line that you will need to change.
    • Vi operates in two modes and so far you have been operating in "command" mode (which you can think of sort of as "navigate" mode).
    • Let's say you need to change text from "1.2.2" to "1.1.3". Navigate across the line until the cursor is on top of the first "2" (using my example above). Now you can press the "x" key once each for every character you want to delete. (In the example I'm using, you'll want to press "x" 3 times.)
    • to enter replacement text, you need to enter "insert" mode. This is as easy as pressing the "i" key. Now you can literally type the chars you need and then press the "escape" key (usually labeled "Esc" and in the top-left on most keyboards). This gets you out of insert mode and back into command mode.
    • look at the line you changed and make sure you made the change that you wanted. You should scroll up and down through the remainder of the file to see if the OS version needs to be changed in more than one place. (Probably not, but check to be sure.)
    • When you are satisfied that you have made all the changes you need, type the following three characters (without the quotes): ":wq". The colon puts you into a real command mode and the "wq" means to write the buffer (your changes) to the current file (the one you specified on the "vi" command line which started vi).
    • After entering the wq command, you should now be back at the Linux shell command prompt. Your work is done. You can view your file (without making more changes) with a "less <filename>" command. Now you can use arrow keys to move up and down. When you are satisfied that the file was written as you wanted it, you can press the "q" key to terminate viewing the file as you changed it.

The above steps are a minimal set of instructions to accomplish what Rod suggested. If you want to learn more about vi, you can enter a ":h" command while in command mode (that is, not in insert mode). To terminate the help, you type a ":q" command. I hope these instructions are enough so that you can accomplish the changes. Let me (or others here) know if you get stuck.
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/22/2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: finish writing paragraph before vi command line invocation
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Thanks for the explanation, bclancy! I indeed managed to edit the file using vi this way...
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    FFS. So I cancelled the install and now I can't redownload the webOS Doctor file from Palm because it says:
    It's the same serial number as before. Can anyone send me this file please?

Edit again: it's now working and it lets me download this file:

Clicking on that takes me to the actual web doctor app screen and I know that clicking on that is a Bad Thing.

Clicking on WebOSQuickInstall.jar (with or without the Pre hooked up in charge mode) tells me I have to download the 195MB WebOSDoctor for it to work.

Plugging in the Pre into my Vista64 machine prompts a request to try and find Novacom drivers which it can't find).

In the words of Elvis, I feel like I'm caught in a trap here.
    I am in same situation as you. I downloaded O2 UK WebOSDoctor which java download opens actual program (which I know not to proceed as it resets device). But Other than the small java jnlp file, I cannot find the 200ish MB WebOSDoctor file to put with WebOSQuickInstall file. Searching my notebook does not find it yet it is clearly there to open with webosdoctorp100eww-wr.jnlp file

EDIT: Ok, instead of downloading O2 WebOSDoctor using java via Palm site, I got the 195.8 Mb file directly from http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions which has the UK O2 http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/p113r...p100eww-wr.jar
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    ...now I can't redownload the webOS Doctor file from Palm because it says:
    It's the same serial number as before....
    Like Chirurgie, I also downloaded the file International 195.8 Mb version of the file, does that mean we only have one shot and if the installation fails then kaput?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast