Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Like Chirurgie, I also downloaded the file International 195.8 Mb version of the file, does that mean we only have one shot and if the installation fails then kaput?
    Use the links at Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Like Chirurgie, I also downloaded the file International 195.8 Mb version of the file, does that mean we only have one shot and if the installation fails then kaput?
    After putting that file in folder,was able to instal Homebrew & now using it happily
    HI, I came across this Forum from the Homebrew step by step how to install... page. O go to Step 2 - WebOS quick install, where it said European users had to install WebOsDoctor and there was a link to the thread we're in now.

Having read through the thread I'm now thoroughly confused (which, admittedly, isn't difficult) about exactly what link I should be following and what I need to do/must not do to get this installed, so I can go on to download Homebrew apps.

Is there any chance that someone could jot down an idiots guide for me please? Ideally finishing by telling me exactly what point in step 2 (or 3) I should be at on the Homebrew page (http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps) when I'm done here.

Again, apologies for being so pathetic.

Any help would be very much appreciated
    I would consider myself very techy literate, but following the amount of threads on how to install the webosquickinstall has given me quite a headache.

I am using a GSM Palm Pre for UK O2 and have followed the instructions regarding installing WOQI 2.7 and beyond and unfortunately, when I click on the click on the button install the webinternal feeds the program just hangs everytime.

I've read the troubleshooting guide and there's no explanation of why this happens. I've also read that because we are only using 1.1.3 that we can only use preware? if that's the case then do we still need to install the webinternal feeds aswell?

As mentioned above if anyone can give us a step by step guide that would be great. Also one more thing, do we need to install the SDK kit aswell before we attempt any of this?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannahaz View Post
    HI, I came across this Forum from the Homebrew step by step how to install... page. O go to Step 2 - WebOS quick install, where it said European users had to install WebOsDoctor and there was a link to the thread we're in now.

Having read through the thread I'm now thoroughly confused (which, admittedly, isn't difficult) about exactly what link I should be following and what I need to do/must not do to get this installed, so I can go on to download Homebrew apps.

Is there any chance that someone could jot down an idiots guide for me please? Ideally finishing by telling me exactly what point in step 2 (or 3) I should be at on the Homebrew page (http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps) when I'm done here.

Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Follow steps 1-3 and step 5 at this URL:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    That looks a bit too technical for me I think ?

Especially as we should be near to a Palm update soon.

However, if I download one of the files from the above 1.1.3 listing page, and save it on my PC, can I then Drag and Drop it into WebOS Quick Installer, just like you do with Filecoaster, as a easy & quick was to install just one tweak?

If so, I assume I can use WebOS Quick Installer to remove the tweaks too.

Or have I got it wrong

Thanks.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Having downloaded the 195mb installer to a firefox downloads folder, i found the webosinstaller in a temp folder, ditched both on the desktop and lo, lift off...
    Not elegant but
    There is a version of the Package Manager Service in alpha testing which sets up the webos-patches feed to automatically select the patches which match the currently-running webOS version.

Please join the #webos-internals IRC channel and make yourself know if you wish to alpha test it.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=webos-internals

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  8. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ragemydream View Post
    I would consider myself very techy literate, but following the amount of threads on how to install the webosquickinstall has given me quite a headache.

I am using a GSM Palm Pre for UK O2 and have followed the instructions regarding installing WOQI 2.7 and beyond and unfortunately, when I click on the click on the button install the webinternal feeds the program just hangs everytime.

I've read the troubleshooting guide and there's no explanation of why this happens. I've also read that because we are only using 1.1.3 that we can only use preware? if that's the case then do we still need to install the webinternal feeds aswell?

As mentioned above if anyone can give us a step by step guide that would be great. Also one more thing, do we need to install the SDK kit aswell before we attempt any of this?

Thanks in advance.

Thank god I'm not the only one!

I'm a new Pre owner on O2 UK and I'm also incredibly confused as to what the hell I'm supposed to do with webOS in the processing installing homebrews using webOS Quick Installer.

The tutorial says the EU ROM is behind the US or something but what does that even mean?! I'm completely oblivious to the homebrew scene so I'd really, really appreciate if someone could kindly provide some step by step instructions on what I need to do to install apps like FileCoaster and Preware on my O2-UK Pre.

Thank you and I really hope someone answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post

Thank god I'm not the only one!

I'm a new Pre owner on O2 UK and I'm also incredibly confused as to what the hell I'm supposed to do with webOS in the processing installing homebrews using webOS Quick Installer.

The tutorial says the EU ROM is behind the US or something but what does that even mean?! I'm completely oblivious to the homebrew scene so I'd really, really appreciate if someone could kindly provide some step by step instructions on what I need to do to install apps like FileCoaster and Preware on my O2-UK Pre.

Thank you and I really hope someone answers.
    The lastest versions of Preware and the Package Manager service automatically adapt to the version of webOS that is running, and fully support 1.1.3, 1.2.1, and 1.3.1-beta for apps, services, plugins and patches. For themes, support is limited to 1.2.1 at the moment.

Just install it as per the webos-internals wiki page documentation.

BTW, never bother following instructions on blogs - they are always out of date. Go to the source wiki documentation instead.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Just install it as per the webos-internals wiki page documentation.

BTW, never bother following instructions on blogs - they are always out of date. Go to the source wiki documentation instead.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod, thanks for that. WOuld you be able to post the page in the Wiki please? I googled "webos-internals wiki page documentation" and found the home page, but I didn't know where to go from there.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Hi Rod, thanks for that. WOuld you be able to post the page in the Wiki please? I googled "webos-internals wiki page documentation" and found the home page, but I didn't know where to go from there.
    So you googled all that, but didn't google "Preware" ?

And you didn't see the Preware box on the wiki home page?

And you didn't type preware into the search box on the wiki home page?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So you googled all that, but didn't google "Preware" ?

And you didn't see the Preware box on the wiki home page?

And you didn't type preware into the search box on the wiki home page?

-- Rod
    No, I didn't google preware.

And what I saw on the page I reached were two columns, one called "Mojo Documentation", one called "OfficiaMojo Documentation (External"). The contents whad headings like "Storage", "Widgets" and "Design", and the entries listed (Cookie, Depot, Database; Button, Checkbox, ToggleButton...etc) didn't seem to have anything to do with what I was looking for.

And no, I didn't search for Preware on the wiki homepage. I didn't know that's what I needed to look for.

I appreciate it must be frustrating for you to have dumb users asking what are clearly dumb questions. (I mean that genuinely, not sarcastically).

I'm just interested in being able to put some Homebrew apps on my shiny new Pre to replace the apps I had on my Treo 650. I just happen to be in Europe where we are currently behind the US in terms of operating system release (or whatever it is) and I've read that I need to do something or other before I can do that.

I tried to follow the thread on what to do, got completely confused, and asked for help.

I'm not stupid, I'm just inexperienced with this stuff and so would like to find the latest instructions that tell me exactly what to do so that I don't inadvertently wreck my phone.

I can't imagine that I'm alone in this, although I expect that other people in my situation just give up, or wait for someone else to put their hand up.

But I'll leave it now, and wait until the WebOs versions are in synch and we don't have to do something special.

Thanks anyway
    Hazel
    No, I didn't google preware.
    The post immediately before yours mentioned Preware and the Package Manager Service by name. Surely you would googled some of those things before asking another question here ...

And what I saw on the page I reached were two columns, one called "Mojo Documentation", one called "OfficiaMojo Documentation (External"). The contents whad headings like "Storage", "Widgets" and "Design", and the entries listed (Cookie, Depot, Database; Button, Checkbox, ToggleButton...etc) didn't seem to have anything to do with what I was looking for.
    Were you on Main Page - WebOS Internals ?

And no, I didn't search for Preware on the wiki homepage. I didn't know that's what I needed to look for.

I appreciate it must be frustrating for you to have dumb users asking what are clearly dumb questions. (I mean that genuinely, not sarcastically).

I'm just interested in being able to put some Homebrew apps on my shiny new Pre to replace the apps I had on my Treo 650. I just happen to be in Europe where we are currently behind the US in terms of operating system release (or whatever it is) and I've read that I need to do something or other before I can do that.
    What you have read is wrong. As I said in the post before yours, you simply install Preware as per the instructions and it works.

I tried to follow the thread on what to do, got completely confused, and asked for help.

I'm not stupid, I'm just inexperienced with this stuff and so would like to find the latest instructions that tell me exactly what to do so that I don't inadvertently wreck my phone.
    The lastest instructions for installing Preware are the same as they have been for the last 3 months. As I said, Preware works as-is for all versions of the Pre. There is nothing different that needs to be done.

I can't imagine that I'm alone in this, although I expect that other people in my situation just give up, or wait for someone else to put their hand up.

But I'll leave it now, and wait until the WebOs versions are in synch and we don't have to do something special.
    You don't have to do anything special. Just follow the installation instructions at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12