Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I can't find the "Improved auto-correct dictionary" patch in Preware under List Everything?

    I do have the undated version 9.4
    Any Idea?
  2. henderjr's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    I can't find the "Improved auto-correct dictionary" patch in Preware under List Everything?

    I do have the undated version 9.4
    Any Idea?
    It's only found as a tweak on the Web OS Quick Install application.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by henderjr View Post
    It's only found as a tweak on the Web OS Quick Install application.
    Thanks found it in the System Mods in Quick Install.
  4. #4  
    I found a couple of problems with that. If you type in "true." It will type TRUE in all caps. Also, if you use ""NY" for New York, it will give you "my".
  5. #5  
    None of the autocorrects are perfect. It's much better than the list generated from the script.
  6. waddle's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    #6  
    So you can't get this via preware? Are there other things only avail via webos quick install that are sweet?
  7. willsurg's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #7  
    I have found another bug with the auto correct in that once it is installed, the pre runs slower. this is most noticible in the email program. It takes additional 3-5 seconds to render the actual message, regardles if it is just text or pictures or anything. if you remove the patch, then the speed goes back to normal. by my observation, the slow down is system wide but very noticible in the email program. FYI.

    -will
  8. smonme's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by willsurg View Post
    I have found another bug with the auto correct in that once it is installed, the pre runs slower. this is most noticible in the email program. It takes additional 3-5 seconds to render the actual message, regardles if it is just text or pictures or anything. if you remove the patch, then the speed goes back to normal. by my observation, the slow down is system wide but very noticible in the email program. FYI.

    -will
    i too noticed the same thing, so i took the crappy patch off.
  9. GigaS27's Avatar
    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    #9  
    Plus it actually made me spell smaller term incorrectly....for example, "np" would change to something else, and "wat" what turn to "eat" and etc...so if your big on small terms, don't use patch.

    I am going to try and edit the file myself just so i can edit a few terms only.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
  10. waddle's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    #10  
    Wasn't there a time when people could make their own dictionary? The current one sucks. The first thing I would do is make things like "wut" to "what" and other short cuts to the real words since there is no 160 limit anymore.
  11. waddle's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    #11  
    Can someone tell me how to uninstall this?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    Wasn't there a time when people could make their own dictionary? The current one sucks. The first thing I would do is make things like "wut" to "what" and other short cuts to the real words since there is no 160 limit anymore.
    Look in Preware. Install AutoCorrect Edit. Add whatever words you want.

    Edit: Apparently it should only be installed via webOS Quick Install at this time, not Preware.
  13. waddle's Avatar
    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Look in Preware. Install AutoCorrect Edit. Add whatever words you want.

    Edit: Apparently it should only be installed via webOS Quick Install at this time, not Preware.
    It says error reading control file
  14. #14  
    From http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...tocorrect-edit :

    Compatible with WebOS Quick Install tool (some users experience an "error reading control file" pop-up, but this doesn't affect installation).
  15. psm9's Avatar
    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    #15  
    Been searching for 2 days and couldn't find this patch to uninstall it. I forgot I did with WOSQI.

    It's not working for me. It "corrects" too much.

    "ETA 5 min" became "Era 5 min"

    Trying to tell my wife how to find symbols when typing on her Pre: "sym key" became "sum key"

    and my favorite, when telling a friend of the unpleasant gastrointestinal virus my kids had:
    "That GI bug sucks" became "That go bug ducks"

    Time to uninstall
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  16. #16  
    I've found this patch to be useless to me. I spend more time correcting the "auto-corrected" words than I would have to just go fix my own typos.
  17. #17  
    I, too, have found it beyond useless. Worse yet, I can't get it to uninstall. It's now unchecked in QI, but still installed, as evidenced by "r" no longer correcting to "are", and "gig" constantly trying to change to "fig", among dozens of other head-bashing-against-wall annoyances. Can anybody help?!
  18. #18  
    It's based on the most misspelled words list, combined with algorithm at http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...e-upgrade.html

    It's a free unofficial modification. I don't know why you guys are so mad at it. Heh, iof you don't like it, just uncheck it in WOSQI
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    It's a free unofficial modification. I don't know why you guys are so mad at it. Heh, iof you don't like it, just uncheck it in WOSQI
    I'm not mad at it, I'm cranky that I _did_ uncheck it, and it _didn't_ uninstall :-/ I'm stuck with it until somebody can help me undo it.

    --A
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundGuyAndy View Post
    I'm not mad at it, I'm cranky that I _did_ uncheck it, and it _didn't_ uninstall :-/ I'm stuck with it until somebody can help me undo it.
    Strange, that's a first. Ya know, I know have my own subforum here ya could've posted in for more immediate attention

    Well, after you uninstalled, did you hit the Luna Restart button, or restart your Pre?

    If you've done both those and still don't have the old auto-correct dictionary, then use WebOS Repair Utility. Go Tools->Restore Specific File
    For american english: /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    For canadian english: /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_ca/text-edit-autoreplace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions