1.    #1  
    As shock terminal pointed out in one of my other request threads, this would be saaaweeeeeeeet.

If it's been requested, forgive me. I did search. Seems like an important add on to this phone.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Visual Voicemail search query

This has never been discussed before.
    Visual Voicemail is more than just a patch, it requires a major change both to the phone and to the Sprint side of things. From what I understand, the voicemail ends up being more of a stream to the phone than a call to the voicemail system. Sprint has the capacity to do it (as seen on the Instinct and Hero), but it's a whole lot more than just a patch on the phone side. Believe me, I wish it were easy, too, since I think it's cool as heck. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully I'm really wrong and someone will correct me.
  4.    #4  
    they made apps for it on the android
    Thought I would chime in since I used to work for a company that provided Visual Voicemail on any phone. As eddieroger mentioned, native visual voicemail requires massive carrier integration (and software/hardware upgrades), which is why its not really offered. The way 3rd party visual voicemail works is using conditional call forwarding (CCF). When you miss a call, are on the other line, etc., the caller is forwarded to a special number that is connected to the third party voicemail server, instead of going to your carrier's voicemail. This looks and acts just like a regular voicemail except it was built from the ground up with digital integration in mind. You can then access your voicemails via the web/email/iPhone apps etc. The service I worked on even had the option to transcribe your voicemails and send them to you as text messages, which was great when you were in a meeting and wanted to know if the call was important. Unfortunately, all this added functionality is not free. We used to give it away, and thats why we never made any money and everyone got laid off . I just looked at their site and they still offer the service, but the cheapest plan is $14.95. If anyone knows of 3rd party visual voicemail that is still free, chime in. Grand Central was one, then Google bought them, and now thats Google Voice. Unfortunately, they no longer support call forwarding, instead wanting you to give everyone your google voice number. If anyone wants to pay for the $15, PM me for the address. I can attest that the service works very well, though I have no (or even negative) interest in making them any money
    Visual voice mail is so sweet. I don't understand why the pre didn't come with it out of the box. Sprint has the capability of doing it as we all saw with the instinct. The pre is the flagship right now why wouldn't it have all the bells and whistles??? I know a few storm guys that refuse to switch over to the pre just because of the lack of visual voice mail. I myself don't even check my voice mail, if it's that important they'll call again is my outlook but if I had visual voice mail and didn't have to deal with the press 123456789 options that take way to long I would probably check my voice mail more often.
    I think this would be a draw for some people to switch over to the pre who haven't already and sprint should try to pull as many new customers over as they can before the pre hits its competitors... Just my 2cents.
    Vis
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by emkman View Post
    Thought I would chime in since I used to work for a company that provided Visual Voicemail on any phone. As eddieroger mentioned, native visual voicemail requires massive carrier integration (and software/hardware upgrades), which is why its not really offered. The way 3rd party visual voicemail works is using conditional call forwarding (CCF). When you miss a call, are on the other line, etc., the caller is forwarded to a special number that is connected to the third party voicemail server, instead of going to your carrier's voicemail. This looks and acts just like a regular voicemail except it was built from the ground up with digital integration in mind. You can then access your voicemails via the web/email/iPhone apps etc. The service I worked on even had the option to transcribe your voicemails and send them to you as text messages, which was great when you were in a meeting and wanted to know if the call was important. Unfortunately, all this added functionality is not free. We used to give it away, and thats why we never made any money and everyone got laid off . I just looked at their site and they still offer the service, but the cheapest plan is $14.95. If anyone knows of 3rd party visual voicemail that is still free, chime in. Grand Central was one, then Google bought them, and now thats Google Voice. Unfortunately, they no longer support call forwarding, instead wanting you to give everyone your google voice number. If anyone wants to pay for the $15, PM me for the address. I can attest that the service works very well, though I have no (or even negative) interest in making them any money
    no they definitely brought it to android via the market place, and it was free, and it was good.
    basic visual VM service thru youmail is free, however there is no app for the pre

They do however offer and extensive API so one could easily be developed... I however have no such knowledge.

Secondly, sprint charges for call forwarding... unless you get them to add the free code to your account.
    Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    no they definitely brought it to android via the market place, and it was free, and it was good.
    This^100000000000000000
    This isn'ta patch, but why are we still waiting for an app? Do Palm's API's NOT SUPPORT THIS?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    Assuming it was a third-party app (as it was available through the Market), then it would still require conditional call forwarding through Sprint, and they have yet to offer that for free. But, seriously, it isn't as easy as installing an app or patch.
    I have been in contact with YouMail's API team and Syntactix is currently working on app to integrate them into WebOS. More details will follow on the Syntactix forum.

Only thing that needs to be overcome is the call forwarding charge.
    Last edited by Arcticus; 10/16/2009 at 09:58 AM.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Great to hear somebody's working on a youmail app arcticus.

As far as I'm concerned, at the moment, google voice is as close as we can get without lots more money - and that involves essentially giving out a new phone number to folks, but it is effective.
    sprint no longer charges for cfwd! wahoo!
    exactly... now an app can be made from one of our talented developers and we can get the forwarding number to visual voicemail from sprint and then we have visual voicemail... *28 forwards the number conditionally.. DO NOT USE *72!!! Sprint still charges 20 a minute for that... you must use *28 (no answer or busy call forwarding)...
    lets make it happen...
    had my wife check her phone and goto the send settings in visual voicemail.. we had the techs fix something a while back and the recent list shows an email to phonenumber@vvm.sprint.com... also activate@vvm.sprint.com so if this helps any developers... basically it is an email system (like all the other visual voicemail systems out there) and it sends an email to the app with the wav file... seems pretty simple to me.. but then again.. I dont develop apps like that.. so it may be complicated as all get out... good luck.. hoep this info helps...
    peas.....