Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markbugs View Post
    It's already been stated several times that there is no programmer access to center button events via a simple patch. The only reason you can wake up the screen with the center button when the slider is open is that Palm coded it.
    Well it certainly hasn't been stated several times in this thread. The closest is Zob stating that he didn't think it would be easy to access, but he didn't seem too sure. There may still be hope that one of the more knowledgeable guys could do this, and at the very least palm is much more likely to come up with their own fix if they see a lot of people wanting it. If the higher level guys have stated in other places that this can't be done, then hopefully they can reiterate that in this thread because it sure hasn't showed up here.
    This would be such an epic patch if someone could pull it off...
    Quote Originally Posted by d3mon187 View Post
    Well it certainly hasn't been stated several times in this thread. The closest is Zob stating that he didn't think it would be easy to access, but he didn't seem too sure. There may still be hope that one of the more knowledgeable guys could do this, and at the very least palm is much more likely to come up with their own fix if they see a lot of people wanting it. If the higher level guys have stated in other places that this can't be done, then hopefully they can reiterate that in this thread because it sure hasn't showed up here.
    I agree - it certainly was not definitively ruled out in this thread, before markbugs comment. But I still question, if we have a patch that activates the LED on the button for messages, why a patch is impossible for the button press. It seems like we have at least some access to the button apart from what Palm has "coded" in that regard.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    But I still question, if we have a patch that activates the LED on the button for messages, why a patch is impossible for the button press..
    Thats because the coding for the LED notification was already done by palm and in the firmware but for some reason just was not enabled. The patch simply uncomments the code, hence enabling the code and making the LED notification work. The patch does not code for the LED, palm did this already

Agreed, hope was can see this patch or the devs at palm add into a fw update
    Just did a real quick test... from what I can see, at the moment we can't access or emulate the power button or the center/gesture button from within WebOS. If someone can do it from the linux command line, it would be possible to write a service that adds the ability to use those buttons, but right now, I can't do it from within WebOS. The only hardware buttons/switches I can access are the keyboard slider (which already turns the phone on when you slide it), and the volume buttons. A patch could probably be written that allows you turn use the volume buttons to turn the screen on, but the phone would still be asleep. (The power button sends a signal called "displayOn" that tells all of the apps to wake up. I haven't figured out a way to emulate this yet).

To sir_mycroft: I can make the button light up/blink all day, but unfortunately from within WebOS the "light" part of the button and the "click" part of the button are 2 completely separate devices. Right now (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK), $we$ $cannot$ $read$ $the$ &$quot$;$click$&$quot$; $from$ $within$ $WebOS$ $at$ $all$.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Well thanks for looking at it Zinge!
    i sure hope that this hasnt been given up on! i have been waiting for this to be a reality for a long time.
    +1

I would donate for this as well. My power button is finicky
    1st post for me, as I'm a new Pre owner as well, but I would most definitely donate for this patch.

+1
    Somthing
    +1 on this, and for pixi users, pushing any key on the keyboard to turn screen on would be nice
    from what i've heard it's not possible to have this, you can't program the center button, the reason there's LED notification's is because it's already on the phone's OS, just commented out, so the patch uncomments it out.
    If this is somehow possible, I'd pony up the cash and donate for sure.
    Since the center button is functional when the keyboard is being used would there be a way to trick the phone into thinking that it is open all the time?
    nice thought there stir fry a lot...
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567