Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I think it would be great for 2 seperate patches if possible. One where the gesture button unlocks upon one click. A second where it would require a "double-tap" of the button, thus making it harder for the the screen to come on while in ones pocket.
    There is a hundred of these "request" threads, but this is the only one I see with a Patton rating. Anyone working on it?

Oops, sorry, I guess there are a few other threads with five star ratings. But my question still stands.
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 10/22/2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: OCD
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I'd like this patch as well. I would also like the ability to disable the slider lock so that I can just hit the button and it will be on and unlocked.
    Really? No love for this patch despite the high ranking and multiple posts?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Could a developer shed light on if this is possible so we at least stop wasting our energies trying to convince someone to do it? :P

PS: I would donate for this as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    My mistake. I never noticed that it was referred to as button. I always referenced the button as the "center button". Gesture button doesn't make much sense. Kind've like calling the keyboard the "slider buttons"

I think its perfectly capable to implement a patch that could allow the center button to awaken the phone. I would use it as well, but now I've gotten to the habit of using the power button that switching to the center button could take a while to combat the muscle memory.
    Is this something you or someone else could do?

To overcome the objection that you would not want to accidentally bump the gesture button in your pocket maybe it would only work if a notification is on the notification dashboard? Maybe require that the center button be held for 500 ms?

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Is this something you or someone else could do?

To overcome the objection that you would not want to accidentally bump the gesture button in your pocket maybe it would only work if a notification is on the notification dashboard? Maybe require that the center button be held for 500 ms?

- Craig
    I think a double tap would work great as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    I think a double tap would work great as well.
    Yup,

I added or tap twice as that would be fine as well.

OK, how do we get developers to notice this?

Step one is to change the thread name and add a little more detail in the opening post. I did that. With the original title I bet many did not even click the thread knowing that as stated it was not possible. Add note in op:

[Note added by moderator] If the keyboard is open and the display is off, you can press the center button to turn the display on, bypassing the lock screen. Users are asking for this same ability when the keyboard is closed: to be able to press the center button to bypass the lock screen and turn on the phone. To avoid accidentally turning on the phone in your pocket, it has been suggested that it might take two taps or to hold the center button for 500 ms.
    Step two is to look at who the patch developers are and send them PM's asking if they can help.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/23/2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I respectfully disagree with the wording of the summary added by the moderator. The following phrase is misleading as to the original intent of this patch request:

[moderator:
    "to be able to press the center button to bypass the lock screen and turn on the phone"]

This makes it sound as if you wouldn't have to swipe the little yellow ball up to unlock. The original poster and most people on this thread would like the center button to simply turn the screen on, but you STILL would then have to swipe the screen to unlock it. Ideally, the center button would act identically to the power button when the screen is off... same exact rules. If the phone is charging, no swipe required. If the keyboard is open, no swipe required (this one already works of course). And if the keyboard is closed and not charging, like when it's in your pocket, swipe IS required... otherwise, there would be too much accidental "****-dialing".
    Last edited by markbugs; 10/23/2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    On a related note, Palm still hasn't even fixed the MAJOR bug that after you unplug the charger, the first time you hit the power button, no screen swipe is required.... lame.
  11. Zob
    Wow, 4 pages of enthusiastic requests for this patch and yet not a single post from anyone volunteering to investigate further? That's just sad. Well hey, I guess that means I'll just have to do it myself. If anyone else would care to contribute to this effort, either send me a PM or perhaps we could just use this thread to share what we learn with everyone else. I have some doubts as to whether this is even possible but I'm game to try, at least.
    Last edited by Zob; 10/23/2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Sorry....I wouldn't have a clue how to actually implement such a patch. But I would love it if someone figured it out. This would pretty much give my Pre the same center button functionality as my iTouch.

Another related idea would be to have the center button turn off the screen when the keyboard is open. But obviously the OP's idea would be #1 A+.
    Quote Originally Posted by markbugs View Post
    I respectfully disagree with the wording of the summary added by the moderator. The following phrase is misleading as to the original intent of this patch request:

[moderator:
    "to be able to press the center button to bypass the lock screen and turn on the phone"]

This makes it sound as if you wouldn't have to swipe the little yellow ball up to unlock. The original poster and most people on this thread would like the center button to simply turn the screen on, but you STILL would then have to swipe the screen to unlock it. Ideally, the center button would act identically to the power button when the screen is off... same exact rules. If the phone is charging, no swipe required. If the keyboard is open, no swipe required (this one already works of course). And if the keyboard is closed and not charging, like when it's in your pocket, swipe IS required... otherwise, there would be too much accidental "****-dialing".
    I modified to say this:

[Note added by moderator] If the keyboard is open and the display is off, you can press the center button to turn on the display. Users are asking for the ability to press the centern button when the keyboard is closed to turn on the display.
    Does that capture it?

- Craig
    This would be perfect for those of us with hard cases on our PrPrPr&#$275$;$s$. $PLEASE$ $make$ $this$ $happen$ $developers$!!!!
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    This is honestly the last Patch I am looking for on my Pre...Other than great apps, this will complete my Pre functionality dreams...hahhaa
    +1

Make this patch happen! (y)
    Please please please!
    what controller file handles this function?
    I would also love to see this patch
  19. Zob
    Well, I've done some digging and have concluded that making this happen will not be easy. (Big surprise, hmm? If it were easy then someone would've just done it.) Looking at the Mojo docs, I don't see any way to access either the power switch, the center button or the keyboard slide. Which makes sense, since fundamentally these are system-level events. And it suggests that this stuff is handled directly by the luna binaries, meaning that any change is gonna have to come from Palm. (Unless Luna has also been open-sourced, which would be news to me.) So while I too would love to see this functionality added, I don't yet see how to make it happen. Sorry.
    +1 please
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast