Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is a public service announcement:

Current themes might conflict with patches. Since currently themes do not use autopatch technology but some of them modify Palm files, there are frequent combinations of themes and patches that may cause problems. Removing a theme might break the ability to remove an installed patch, installing themes or patches on top of one or the other might cause issues with the other.

The symptoms of such issues include, but are not limited to:

Leftover themed changes (e.g. carrier string, top bar, etc...), messaging app 'pretty' customizations (different colors, layouts, etc.. NOT patch customizes..) and/or patches that will not reapply after an EPR.

Solution

Uninstall theme FIRST and then run EPR. NEVER run EPR with a theme installed. This will potentially cause problems that can NOT be easily recovered.

Last Resort

The only other universal solution is to doctor your phone to 1.2.0 and update to 1.2.1 (once 1.2.1 doctor comes out you can use repair utility and then run EPR). After that you should make sure to NEVER run EPR with a theme installed.

This will be worked out, but for now that is the best I can offer.
    Last edited by dBsooner; 10/10/2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fixed capitaliaztion in "AutoPatch" per OP's request. Stickied.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    How I wish I would have known this before...
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I am slightly confused, sorry. I am going to pester you for clarification really just in case it effects someone else.

After the service and Preware updates today, I uninstalled my Prethemer theme (Original Blue) via Preware, restarted Luna, ran EPR, rebooted. Then I reinstalled all of my patches and then my theme again (same theme from the Prethemer feed via Preware). Since then, I have uninstalled my theme (which worked fine) and installed a new one (Green one by same author, heh), then uninstalled that one and reinstalled the original theme.

It all went ok. Is the issue specific to a type of theme or am I being super dense?

Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    I am slightly confused, sorry. I am going to pester you for clarification really just in case it effects someone else.

After the service and Preware updates today, I uninstalled my Prethemer theme (Original Blue) via Preware, restarted Luna, ran EPR, rebooted. Then I reinstalled all of my patches and then my theme again (same theme from the Prethemer feed via Preware). Since then, I have uninstalled my theme (which worked fine) and installed a new one (Green one by same author, heh), then uninstalled that one and reinstalled the original theme.

It all went ok. Is the issue specific to a type of theme or am I being super dense?

Thanks.

Issues arise when themes and patches touch the same file. Not all themes and all patches conflict. It would take up a tremendous amount of time and effort to debug every specific case that pops up. You may or may not have issues with themes and patches but it is an unsupported set up until the issues are resolved. If issues arise that EPR cannot fix, we will not be able to dedicate the time to debug each user's specific issue.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Issues arise when themes and patches touch the same file. Not all themes and all patches conflict. It would take up a tremendous amount of time and effort to debug every specific case that pops up. You may or may not have issues with themes and patches but it is an unsupported set up until the issues are resolved. If issues arise that EPR cannot fix, we will not be able to dedicate the time to debug each user's specific issue.
    Ahh, I gotcha. I'll consider myself fortunate then.
    Funny we just were talking about that in the thread I started.. Check it out... Looks like this is a answer... It seems thought that some people are fixing it after they mess it up without doctering it..

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...e-out-why.html
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Uhhh... this REALLY sucks. Because I updated Preware and now it doesn't work. Can't uninstall my theme now.

Lesson learned... but now what?
    if phone has no problem then kept on install new beta apps to play and test. Until you need to change, then webosdoctor.

I am i the same boat as you are.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
  9.    #9  
    I've updated my original post. After putting more thought into it, there may be a way to recover in the majority of cases without doctoring.

NEVER run EPR without uninstalling theme first. There is still risk in the sense that some themes and patches are incompatible and break each other. However uninstalling themes and then running EPR SHOULD recover the files correctly in the majority of cases.

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

NEVER run EPR without uninstalling theme first. There is still risk in the sense that some themes and patches are incompatible and break each other. However uninstalling themes and then running EPR SHOULD recover the files correctly in the majority of cases.

Request: please remind people of this this in Preware before they download/use EMR. It sure as heck would have stopped me.

I'll try removing the theme via WebOS Quick Install and then sideloading Preware. Thanks.
    Last edited by vara411; 10/09/2009 at 06:28 PM.
    If you are concerned that your theme might cause issues then download the zip from prethemer and extract.

Look for files that are not .png, ie .css,.jsjsjs.

If you have these types of files in your theme you could very well have problems (conflicts) with some patches.

I have worked very hard to get my icons and wallpapers and assorted others just right on my Pre and I will not use somebodys theme that modifies .css or .jsjsjs
    Current themes might conflict with patches. Since currently themes do not use autopatch technology but some of them modify Palm files, there are frequent combinations of themes and patches that may cause problems. Removing a theme might break the ability to remove an installed patch, installing themes or patches on top of one or the other might cause issues with the other.
    FYI, using WebOSQuickInstall v2.7 or greater doesn't not have this problem, as it applies patches the proper WebOS-Internals format

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    If you are concerned that your theme might cause issues then download the zip from prethemer and extract.
    Look for files that are not .png, ie .css,.jsjsjs.
    WOSQI 2.7+ simply ignores html/css/json/jsjsjs $files$ $in$ $zip$ $themes$ ($to$ $maintain$ $backward$ $compatability$), $and$ $uses$ .$patch$ $instead$. $Just$ $for$ $the$ $record$ $in$ $case$ $anyone$ $was$ $wonderin$
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    FYI, using WebOSQuickInstall v2.7 or greater doesn't not have this problem, as it applies patches the proper WebOS-Internals format

WOSQI 2.7+ simply ignores html/css/json/jsjsjs $files$ $in$ $zip$ $themes$ ($to$ $maintain$ $backward$ $compatability$), $and$ $uses$ .$patch$ $instead$. $Just$ $for$ $the$ $record$ $in$ $case$ $anyone$ $was$ $wonderin$

Thanks Jason, is the new patch creating theme builder already out?

-Eric G

Donate
    Thanks Jason, is the new patch creating theme builder already out?
    The theme builder isn't out yet (aiming for this weekend, with wosqi 2.73) though the .pqatch applying system for themes is implemented
  15.    #15  
    The theme builder isn't out yet (aiming for this weekend, with wosqi 2.73) though the .pqatch applying system for themes is implemented

Awesome! Good to know

-Eric G

Donate
    Thanks for the info Jason. I never thought allowing just anybody to modify system configs was a real good idea.

Also will the new theme builder have the capability to add multiple images at once, ie all of the modified images in a certain folder?

It would seem to be much easier to create a theme if we only were allowed and had access to certain folders via some sort of list like the main folders for theming.
    Also having the ability to edit a theme would be awesome, i mean now if I close the program it writes the .xml and if I wish to add more icon changes then I have to start over.

By easier I mean for the community, probably not easier for you though huh!

I,We appreciate all the work all of you guys have put into this OS, it has made the experience...at least for me very enjoyable.

Again Thanks

Wow! That's awesome Jason!

So if I installed a patch that I tweaked (I modified my battery as percent patch so the colors would match my theme) as a .patch file from WOSQI, then I shouldn't have any problems?

And Jason, Rod, ee_money, and the rest of you guys, take my thanks and multiply it by a million!!!!
    This is a public service announcement:

The symptoms of such issues include, but are not limited to:

leftover themed changes (e.g. carrier string, top bar etc...), and/or patches that will not reapply after an EPR.

Solution

Uninstall theme FIRST and then run EPR. NEVER run EPR with a theme installed. This will potentially cause problems that can NOT be easily recovered.

Last Resort

The only other universal solution is to doctor your phone to 1.2.0 and update to 1.2.1 (once 1.2.1 doctor comes out you can use repair utility and then run EPR). After that you should make sure to NEVER run EPR with a theme installed.

This will be worked out, but for now that is the best I can offer.
    Just so we are clear, i had uninstalled the theme prior to using EPR. What did happen is: I had Zelda for a few days, uninstalled. It was back to default.
    Then: I installed Michael Myers: Uninstalled before i used the EPR.
    After running EPR...Carrier string and time was stuck in Zelda. I'm now patiently waiting for the repair utility in hopes of a solution. I have no theme installed, however, all patches are working properly.
    Conclusion: Does not necessarily matter if you DO uninstall theme prior to using EPR. It's just a crapshoot.
    Thank you for your help earlier.
    if only had the neon green theme and the virtual keyboard patch running before i did the EPR should i be ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ril View Post
    No. Uninstall the theme first. EPR will remove the kb patch.

What's "EPR"?

Thanks for all the hard work that you guys are doing... The apps and patches are great...thanks!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast