Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    *** YOU MUST ALWAYS UPDATE THE PACKAGE MANAGER SERVICE BEFORE UPDATING PREWARE ***

We have completed the transition from the alpha release of the autopatch feed to the public release of the new webos-patches feed which uses the autopatch technology.

There is a new release of the Package Manager Service which includes the webos-patches feed by default (including the virtual keyboard), and a new release of Preware with the ability to enable and disable individual feeds.

*** YOU MUST ALWAYS UPDATE THE PACKAGE MANAGER SERVICE BEFORE UPDATING PREWARE ***

Note that you will need to remove all patches that you had previously installed using Preware or the online repository in WebOS Quick Install, using the Emergency Patch Removal tool. Then you can start installing patches from the official webos-patches feed. If you don't remove them, they will erroneously appear in the Applications Type instead of the Patches Type.

My understanding is that Jason will also transition from the old autopatch feed to the new webos-patches feed in the next version of WebOS Quick Install.

We can use this thread for any problems with the transition.

In general, you should do the following:

0) Update the feeds in Preware. Note that if you have your feeds set for periodic or manual update in Preware, then you must select the menu option to manually update the feeds.

1) Use Preware to upgrade the Package Manager Service - make sure you upgrade the Package Manager Service first - do not upgrade Preware itself first. Note that this will automatically install the new webos-patches feed, and disable the now obsolete autopatches feed. If you forgot to do this step before step 2, then use WebOS Quick Install to remove both the Package Manager Service and Preware, then reboot, then install the Package Manager Service and Preware.

2) Use Preware to upgrade itself. Make sure you have upgraded the Package Manager Service to 0.9.7 first. You will be upgrading Preware to 0.9.3 second.

3) Remove the obsolete autopatch-feed package. It has already been disabled, but make sure you remove the package anyway. It has been replaced by the webos-patches feed, which automatically comes with the Package Manager Service.

4) Update the feeds in Preware. Note that if you have your feeds set for periodic or manual update in Preware, then you must select the menu option to manually update the feeds.

5) Look for the Emergency Patch Recovery tool, and install it. To find it, open the List of Everything, and start typing it's name. It will take some time to remove all your patches, and then will uninstall itself - it's a one-shot auto-run-then-auto-remove package. Reboot the Pre to make sure all the old patches are cleared out.

6) If you previously had the Virtual Keyboard installed, then look in the Applications section of the Installed Packages screen, and remove the obsolete Virtual Keyboard package. You can install the new one in the next step.

7) You should now see quite a few available patches. Notice the HomePage and Maintainer links in the description of each patch - these should be your first point of support.

8) Install the Luna Manager app, so you can easily restart the UI after installing patches. This will be done automatically (giving you the option to defer, if you are installing multiple patches) in a future Preware release. You can install multiple patches all at once, and then restart a single time after they are all installed to see the results.

9) Do not ask the Preware authors about patches, and do not report problems with individual patch operation in this thread - there should eventually be a separate thread in this forum for each patch.

10) Note that there is a new feeds management screen where you can enable and disable individual feeds, which can be found in the menu of the Preferences screen. The "NEW FEED" section is not implemented yet.

11) Remember that to update a patch you need to remove it first, then install the new version.

BTW, did I mention that you should upgrade the package manager service before upgrading Preware ?

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/09/2009 at 06:54 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    thanks you!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    So..do I update the package manager before Preware?
    after we run the emergency patch removal we still have to reboot...u didnt specifically say that in the OP
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    after we run the emergency patch removal we still have to reboot...u didnt specifically say that in the OP
    You only have to reboot for changes to take effect. You can patch and unpatch and repatch and go patch crazy without rebooting, you just will never see the effects until a reboot.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    You only have to reboot for changes to take effect. You can patch and unpatch and repatch and go patch crazy without rebooting, you just will never see the effects until a reboot.
    so pretty much I can run the EPR and then start installing tweaks and then when I'm done I can reboot...so one reboot with all that?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

so pretty much I can run the EPR and then start installing tweaks and then when I'm done I can reboot...so one reboot with all that?
    yep

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Should we remove the autopatch feed?
    VK isn't working...gives me ipkg error
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Now how about a luna restart app?
    Go to installed packages - applications - remove VK -- then install again from the new feed.
    where is it
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    autopatch.conf should be auto-deleted when you install Preware 0.9.3.

Did you remove your old one? EPR doesn't remove the VKB.
    dBsooner
    WebOS-Internals Member and Developer
    Donations Appreciated!

Keep up to date with webOS-Patches via Twitter: @dBsooner

Browse Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal - (Trac)
    Submit New Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Submit Updated Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    There is one.. "Luna Manager" in Preware Apps.
    dBsooner
    WebOS-Internals Member and Developer
    Donations Appreciated!

Keep up to date with webOS-Patches via Twitter: @dBsooner

Browse Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal - (Trac)
    Submit New Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Submit Updated Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    where is the emergency patch removal
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    See step 3.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    thanks!

so i see now feeds is updated. but do we have to add auto-feeds?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    See step 7.

-- Rod
    I updated Preware without updating Package Manager. All greyed out in Preware 0.9.3. What can i do?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rocman00 View Post
    where is it
    See step 5.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast