Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hello all. Don't want to overwhelm you or bog you down with repeat request for help but I too am having problems with the patches. I followed all steps to a tee. Even had the VK (Virtual King) without problem. But once I saw they werent in the Device Management section along with the Emergency Tool (which I know now was updated to List of everything via update) I uninstalled everything and tried again. I cant get VK back or some other patches while many remain. This is one line I am experiencing with VK.
    Failed
    Error GenericMethodException:Failure during 'postinst' operation
    patching file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework200_18.jsjsjs
    patching file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.18/resources/da_dk/kbchars_fulltable_azerty.json
    This goes on for several lines with only the end changing mostly such as fulltable_qwertz.json or fulltable.json. This goes on for several lines which I can only interpret as the patch reinstalling itself several times. I came to this hypothesis only because towards the end of the announcements one line say "The next patch would create the fileusr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissiopns/200.18/templates/kbselector/char.html, wjhich already exists. 1 out of 1 hunk ignored then skipping patch. At the very end it says offline root mode:not running org.webosinternals.patches.add-onscreen-keyboard.prerm) I wont bore you with the rest but I hope this can help you understand what is going on with the VK as an example. Some of the other patches that didn't work same issue. I don't know in the beginning did I forget to reset via Luna or because I installed VK WEB OS uninstalled then installed through Preware I honestly don't remember but would like to find a way to fix without Web Doctor or etc.. Any ideas for myself and anyone else here facing the same ?
    My Preware takes about 15 min for updating and is still updating
    It's the first start of this prog, but that can't be normal or what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for my bad english, I'm german boy
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTIm View Post
    My Preware takes about 15 min for updating and is still updating
    It's the first start of this prog, but that can't be normal or what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for my bad english, I'm german boy
    exit preware and start it again...make sure u got good signal
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Still the same problem
    Also resetet the Palm
    checking version and then updating
    Just reading the above...

I had some problems with preware and quickinstall. Having uninstalled one way (preware way) and trying to install another way (quickinstall way) is problematic. The EPR doesn't always remove every patch as necessary.

Does EPR use quilt, or is it a script that searches for patch cache or specific files?

In any case, as in the updates from the first post, is it correct that both preware (webosinternals) and quickinstall (jason) are moving to make their methods of installing and removing patches/tweaks more universal between the two?

Also when webos update versions are applied (before removing all patches of course), is it wise to simply not use both methods until all patches/tweaks are verified working, or will there be a fool-proof way that disables patches until confirmed for the respective versions of webos in use?

Just curious.
  6.    #386  
    Quote Originally Posted by wturnerharris View Post
    Just reading the above...

I had some problems with preware and quickinstall. Having uninstalled one way (preware way) and trying to install another way (quickinstall way) is problematic. The EPR doesn't always remove every patch as necessary.

Does EPR use quilt, or is it a script that searches for patch cache or specific files?

In any case, as in the updates from the first post, is it correct that both preware (webosinternals) and quickinstall (jason) are moving to make their methods of installing and removing patches/tweaks more universal between the two?

Also when webos update versions are applied (before removing all patches of course), is it wise to simply not use both methods until all patches/tweaks are verified working, or will there be a fool-proof way that disables patches until confirmed for the respective versions of webos in use?

Just curious.
    EPR does exactly this:

git.webos-internals.org Git - preware/build.git/blob - linux/emergency-patch-recovery/postinst

Patches packaged by WebOS Internals use AutoPatch technology, which EPR uses to remove the patches.

The patches that are installed by WebOS Quick Install from the "Online Repository" are all patches packaged by WebOS Internals (WebOS Quick Install accesses the webos-patches repository maintained by WebOS Internals).

For "tweaks" that are enacted by WebOS Quick Install, I believe that some come from the webos-patch respository maintained by WebOS Internals, and some do not. I do not know how an end-user can tell which do and which don't.

For the "tweaks" which are not from the webos-patches repository, I don't have any information about compatibility with AutoPatch and EPR.

If you stick with patches that come from the webos-patches repository (installed either using Preware or from the "Online Repository" section of WebOS Quick Install), then you will have no problems removing them with EPR.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I may have missed the answer to this but I'll ask. Since I already have Preware on my phone (and it's AMAZING by the way). I see that there is a Package Manager and Preware update. Do I need to follow all the steps on page 1 of this thread or can I just do the updates? (Package Manager first of course..then Preware). I know I've seen the answer to this before. I just can't find it! Thanks in advance.
  8.    #388  
    Quote Originally Posted by zepolant View Post
    I may have missed the answer to this but I'll ask. Since I already have Preware on my phone (and it's AMAZING by the way). I see that there is a Package Manager and Preware update. Do I need to follow all the steps on page 1 of this thread or can I just do the updates? (Package Manager first of course..then Preware). I know I've seen the answer to this before. I just can't find it! Thanks in advance.
    See the Preware wiki page for updating instructions.

As of 0.9.x, just use Preware to update Package Manager Service and Preware.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    See the Preware wiki page for updating instructions.

As of 0.9.x, just use Preware to update Package Manager Service and Preware.

-- Rod
    I knew it was somewhere. Thanks! Updates went through just fine.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    My first post so bear with me.
    PREWARE stuck on "updating" or "checking version" screen.

I had Preware working fine before the WebOS 1.2 update. Quick install worked perfectly.
    After the update I had major problems.

I just ran the doctor program and reset and started over.(takes a long time wow).

I did it because Preware quit working and I had 2 themes installed at the same time.
    all of this is my own fault but anyway.

WebOS QI did nothing when I clicked the third button on the right. NOTHING

QI could access my Pre and apply tweaks and themes -but the 3rd button did nothing.
    It's supposed to open up a drop box where you can get Preware and programs.

So I decided to start over with the WebOSdoctor prog. No problem but I had to download the Preware installer to use instead of the WebOS QI. It worked and when I opened Preware on my Pre it was stuck on "updating" screen for an hour. I tried closing it and reopening it (Preware) , turning off the update feeds ( in Preware on Pre) , I rebooted ( the Pre) about 10 times. Nothing. I do have developer mode on BTW, forgot that.

I plugge my Pre back into my PC and ran QI and tried the tweaks in QI again and it said I was missing some files and it wanted to download them and install them. I let it. I opened Preware again and wala, all the Preware feeds I need were there! Everthing is there and I can do it all from Preware OTA like we like right?

Sorry this is wordy but I was pretty dang frustrated.
    If your Preware is stuck on updating screens you may be missing something, try running QI like I did.

Preware is my main fun on my PRE so I had to get it back up and running.
    I only had to read about 100 posts here and spend about 4 days working on it..LOL
    It's me not the Program. I understand a lot more now at least.

There are some very talented people making this Preware, maybe they could read this and figure out what happened. It seems like a lot of users are having this issue with stuck loading screens. I turned the auto updates off in Preware also so it loads everytime when I am not near a computer with QI.

Thank you for this awesome program. Thanks to all who made this possible, this is also a great site. I have my own forum site and this is a great forum.
    Last edited by noszero; 10/25/2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I forgot one last thing.
    I did have to update the package manager and Preware from inside the Preware program.
    Each took about 4 seconds to update over wifi. Preware shut itself down and restarted with no issues after the update.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Ok, I have updated everything according to the instructions. My "patches" selection is grayed out. I did notice that the download package manager is 0.9.10 and preware is 9.5. I have no option to update either. Auto-feed and vk is gone etc...please help
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am not an expert here but your missing something. ( don't shoot at me ).
    When all the feeds are updated there shoud be about 70 patches available. Mine said 0 and was grayed out also before the missing files got put back by Quick Install when I tried to use it to put a theme on my Pre. It seems like it's how you install this stuff that's critical. it seems to has to be done in a certain order or it simply will not work.

I would try applying a tweak from Quick Install on your PC and see if the computer is really connected to the Pre. Sometimes your Pre says it's in "developer mode" when it is not. Accessed by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" and turn DEVELOPER MODE on. If it is on and won't talk to your pc, then turn it off, reset, turn it back on, restart the Pre and see if it will let your PC apply a tweak from the Quick Install "tools" tab.

When my Pre had an internal program problem it would let me apply tweaks but the vk and patches stopped working because I installed things out of proper order, easy to do.
    After i used the webos doctor and started over things worked as I posted above.

you can reinstall Preware from the link below without Quick Install and see what happens. I would. I would just start over with all of it, delete Preware and Quick install and start over.

CLICK HERE FOR PREWARE DL PAGE
    Last edited by noszero; 10/31/2009 at 03:46 AM.
    Just got my second Pre today, I didn't update my previous version of Preware as I knew I was getting a new phone. Downloaded Package Manager Service from Quick Install, installed it, then Downloaded Preware, and installed it. No tweeks or anything on the phone yet as its brand new. The versions from Quick Install that were downloaded were 0.9.16 for PMS and 0.9.5 for Preware. I know I have to upgrade PMS and assumed I could just go to
    Package Updates in Preware to update, however it doesn't have an upgrade option. I think I have read all 20 pages of this post and cannot find if there is a manual way to upgrade PMS to 0.9.7(unless I missed it). I made the assumption it would be download option, when I goto PMS there is no update available or download option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I should add the main reason I am trying to get the new update is I can't access any of the patches via the older versions of the programs.

Josh
  15.    #396  
    Quote Originally Posted by JButtry View Post
    Just got my second Pre today, I didn't update my previous version of Preware as I knew I was getting a new phone. Downloaded Package Manager Service from Quick Install, installed it, then Downloaded Preware, and installed it. No tweeks or anything on the phone yet as its brand new. The versions from Quick Install that were downloaded were 0.9.16 for PMS and 0.9.5 for Preware. I know I have to upgrade PMS and assumed I could just go to
    Package Updates in Preware to update, however it doesn't have an upgrade option. I think I have read all 20 pages of this post and cannot find if there is a manual way to upgrade PMS to 0.9.7(unless I missed it). I made the assumption it would be download option, when I goto PMS there is no update available or download option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I should add the main reason I am trying to get the new update is I can't access any of the patches via the older versions of the programs.

Josh
    0.9.16 is the latest version of the Package Manager Service. Why would you want to install the older 0.9.7 version? The Changelog in the description in the Package Manager Service entry in Preware makes it clear what versions there are - did you not read that?

-- Rod
    the EPR is located in the webOS quick install, then click on the HDD icon on the right side, then on the drop down menu choose WebOS-internals Feed (all). There u should find EPR fouth from the top.

good luck.
    Palm 600, Treo 755, Pre
    can somebody explain this to me plz? few days ago i realized that preware 9.9 was ready. so I wanted to update it... i follow the basic steps, updating first the psm, right when i was updating the psm, i got a call from somebody, so it didn't install the update (error windows popped up), I reset my phone, and then i realized that i couldnt see the updates in preware anymore,,, i updated the feeds, and i still dont see the update to preware 9.9 (i dont see it in the list). Right now I have prewaree 9.8 n pms 9.19.....why it doesnt show the preware update 9.9 anymore.... somebody having the same issue?
    I didnt update the package service manager before I did the web os update. Now I get the Onfeeds Error Type error:cannot read property length of undefined.. How do I get rid of the error and get preware again?
    hey guys, I'm not getting anywhere w/ this problem. Can someone help me? Pm/email me/reply here. I'm almost desperate.

tihkal@gmail.com