Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gametimedesign View Post
    But when I go to Luna Manager and select restart Java. I get the following error.

"The Package Manager Service is not running. Did you remember to install it? If you did perhaps you should try to reboot your phone"

Did several reboots and still continue to get this error.
    Not sure what's wrong, but have you tried to re-install the Package Manager Service?
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supaumar View Post
    So I updated my feeds (before doing anything)..and my Preware and Package Manager Service were 9.3 and 9.7 (or whatever the newest versions are)...what did I do wrong?
    Is there a problem? What's wrong?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I didn't do any of the stuff..I'm perfectly fine with it, just kinda weird, no?
    No I haven't tried that because I figure if I uninstalled it and reinstalled it using the latest version of preware I would be going against what the instructions state. Which is not to update preware and then install package manager.

I guess I could give it a try. Just trying to see if anyone else had this problem or had some answers.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habidabad View Post
    Not sure what's wrong, but have you tried to re-install the Package Manager Service?
  5.    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by Habidabad View Post
    The first time the Luna Manager is installed it shows the icon in your Launcher, but disappears/hides after you restart the Pre. If you don't see it in Preware then you already have it installed and the icon is already hidden from your Launcher.
    That is not correct. The Luna Manager icon never disappears. You are thinking of the Package Manager Service icon.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I followed all of the steps and I did everything correct. I installed all of the patches and retarted Luna and everything worked, but whenever I go to install the Virtual Keyboard I keep getting an "Error Installing: See IPKG Log" message. I did remove the VK patch before I even updated the Preware and Package Manager Service. I even updated the feeds and I keep getting that error message.
    Yesterday prior to seeing this post I installed Preware .9.3 before installing the Package Manager Service .9.7. This of course broke Preware. I uninstalled both Package Manager Service and Preware with WebOSQuickInstall. I then rebooted the Pre and installed them in the correct order. Preware was still broke. I tried running Luna Manger and found that it said that the Package Manager Service was not running. I validated that Package Manager Service was indeed installed. I then Uninstalled both Package Manager Service and Preware. I went through multiple iterations of rebooting, reinstalling, and removing all my tweaks with the same lack of success.

While looking around I found that the Tweak Feature in WebOSQuickInstall installs an older version of Package Manager Service if you don't have Package Manager Service already installed. After allowing it to install the older version I rebooted and installed the .9.7 version of Package Manager Service followed by Preware .9.3
    Bingo it all worked.

The upgrade of Package Manager Service seems to work but the fresh install of Package Manager Service did not work for me.
    Last edited by neojack; 10/10/2009 at 06:26 PM.
  8.    #308  
    Bingo - this would explain it - please spread this info far and wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by neojack View Post
    Yesterday prior to seeing this post I installed Preware .9.3 befor insalling the Package Manager Service .9.7. This of course broke Preware. I uninstalled both Package Manager Service and Preware with WebOSQuickInstall. I then rebooted the Pre and installed them in the correct order. Preware was still broke. I tried running Luna Manger and found that it said that the Package Manager Service was not running. I validated that Package Manager Service was indeed installed. I then Uninstalled both Package Manager Service and Preware. I went through multiple iterations of rebooting, reinstalling, and removing all my tweaks with the same lack of success.

While looking around I found that the Tweak Feature in WebOSQuickInstall installs an older version of Package Manager Service if you don't Package Manager Service already installed. After allowing it to install the older version I rebooted and installed the .9.7 version of Package Manager Service followed by Preware .9.3
    Bingo it all worked.

The upgrade of Package Manager Service seems to work but the fresh install of Package Manager Service did not work for me.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    rwhiby, your instructions were great. I just got everything updated and it went great. No issues what so ever. Thanks again to everyone who has done all the work!!
    This isnt working for me... which version of WQI did you use? I have 2.7

I removed the package manager, and preware, tried tweaks - was informed that .9.4 of package manager was installed. In the application feeds, the package manager shows an update. However, if I restart after using tweaks to install .9.4, and restart, it shows that I DO NOT have package manager. Going to .9.7 still doesnt work with preware or luna manager, no matter what order I do things in.

This is extremely frustrating. Does .9.7 not work as a stand alone install?

Quote Originally Posted by neojack View Post
    Yesterday prior to seeing this post I installed Preware .9.3 before installing the Package Manager Service .9.7. This of course broke Preware. I uninstalled both Package Manager Service and Preware with WebOSQuickInstall. I then rebooted the Pre and installed them in the correct order. Preware was still broke. I tried running Luna Manger and found that it said that the Package Manager Service was not running. I validated that Package Manager Service was indeed installed. I then Uninstalled both Package Manager Service and Preware. I went through multiple iterations of rebooting, reinstalling, and removing all my tweaks with the same lack of success.

While looking around I found that the Tweak Feature in WebOSQuickInstall installs an older version of Package Manager Service if you don't have Package Manager Service already installed. After allowing it to install the older version I rebooted and installed the .9.7 version of Package Manager Service followed by Preware .9.3
    Bingo it all worked.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Luna Manager icon never disappears.
    -- Rod
    I assume that if Luna Manager is installed, I can find it in my Apps and use it to, for example, "restart Luna".

My problem remains that it is NOT installed and I cannot find it in Preware. If I pick List of Everything and then type "lun", all I get is the Luna theme, not the Luna Manager app (see Screenshot attached).

Suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm: V > M505 > Treo 700p > Prē
    Apple: iPad 1
    Does the automatically installed GNU patch need to be removed also?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjuniq View Post
    Does the automatically installed GNU patch need to be removed also?
    no
    Borked here.... I now know to COME TO THE FORUM before updating from Preware. I ran some updates earlier including the new package manager which stated it needed a "java restart" to complete. Apparently java restart = bad and my phone is a paper weight. It boots, but the touchscreen or buttons are non-responsive. All I can do is stare lovingly at the lock screen since I can't even unlock it. Anything I can do before going to the Doc??
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    OK guys i dont know whats goin on...but ever since the patches came out and I applied a couple of them, I had to WEBDOCTOR my phone, not only that but now I cant redownload my virtual keypad...the following error comes up when downloading from PREWARE:

Error Installing: See IPKG Log (if I click IPKG Log it states):
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'postinst' operation....

and when I try to do it from WEBOS Quick Install its not there anymore under the
    On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals
    instructions.....HELP
    I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled the package thing (cant remember name) and preware 6 times....Please help a damselle in distress.
  16.    #316  
    Quote Originally Posted by snoPalm View Post
    I assume that if Luna Manager is installed, I can find it in my Apps and use it to, for example, "restart Luna".

My problem remains that it is NOT installed and I cannot find it in Preware. If I pick List of Everything and then type "lun", all I get is the Luna theme, not the Luna Manager app (see Screenshot attached).

Suggestions?
    That means your Package Manager Service has not been installed properly.

Do the following:

1) Use WebOS Quick Install to remove the Package Manager Service
    2) Reboot the Pre
    3) Use WebOS Quick Install to install the Package Manager Service from the WebOS Internals (all) repository. DO NOT do anything else with WebOS Quick Install - no tweaks, no patches, no nothing. DO NOT let WebOS Quick Install install the Package Manager Service automatically.
    4) Reboot the Pre
    5) Wait until your carrier name can be seen in the top left corner
    6) Turn off wifi
    7) Wait another 5 minutes
    8) Check you can access http://ipkg.preware.org/ in the browser.
    9) Start Preware.

If all that doesn't work, come to the IRC channel:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=webos-internals

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  17.    #317  
    Quote Originally Posted by uanduve View Post
    OK guys i dont know whats goin on...but ever since the patches came out and I applied a couple of them, I had to WEBDOCTOR my phone, not only that but now I cant redownload my virtual keypad...the following error comes up when downloading from PREWARE:

Error Installing: See IPKG Log (if I click IPKG Log it states):
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'postinst' operation....

and when I try to do it from WEBOS Quick Install its not there anymore under the
    On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals
    instructions.....HELP
    I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled the package thing (cant remember name) and preware 6 times....Please help a damselle in distress.
    You can only install the Virtual Keyboard from the webos-patches feed in the latest version of Preware.

If you get an error installing the virtual keyboard, it means some other patch or theme has already overwritten the files that it needs to modify, or there is something left on your USB area which is not allowing it to install properly.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply Rod, erased every patch and every app not original to phone.....blank canvas....WEBDOCTORED Pre....gonna try it one more time....
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Attempted to run the EPR and it gives me the same error
    Error Installing: See IPKG Log....Getting upset....
    First I love my Pre. I thought I would be cool and install Preware the first time. I found all the instructions on Precentral and decided to try it. I failed, but found a Youtube video with a how to. It was great. I don’t know who put the video up but it showed how to do everything step by step and I was able to fallow it. I thought I was a pimp. I loved Preware….then it stopped working!! So lame! Of course I am on here looking and reading to find out what to do. I have read all 16 pages of posts. I hate to admit this but this stuff might be a little out of my league. Could I suggest someone posting Youtube videos on how to do all this stuff. It would make life a lot easier for those of us who are more visually inclined and might stop so many people having simple problems or big ones in my case. Thanks everyone on the threads and at Precentral for all the help! This community is what makes the palm SWEEEEEEET.