Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey, I'm not sure if the virtual keyboard has been updated for WebOS 1.2.1, but when I try to install it through Preware, I get an "Error [4]", and when I try to install with WebOS Quick Install, I get:

"ERROR: An error occurred while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh

ERROR: mismatch md5sums
    expected: 2ce28f4c3ee55232ccf8b1f142fb92bb
    calculated: 3b9234603542b061354cd273c688ed91
    Removing package org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard from root...
    (offline root mode not running org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard.prerm)"

Is this caused by the Virtual Keyboard not being supported by 1.2.1, or is there some other problem?

Thanks!
    I actually installed it, tried it out, and removed it using Preware last night without any errors. I'm running 1.2.1.

Sorry I can't help more than that...

Basic question: Are you in developer mode?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Not sure if it would matter or not, but are you running the latest versions of Preware and WOSQI?
  4.    #4  
    As long as v0.9.2 is the latest Preware.. And yes I'm using the latest WOSQI.

I'm in Developer Mode, but maybe I'll try disabling it and enabling it again. It was still enabled after updating to 1.2.1 but maybe it's not really... We'll see.
  5.    #5  
    No dice, re-enabling Developer Mode didn't fix anything.
    I don't speak English well. I had same error, and I fixed it as rooting my pre.
    1. remove the previous version of virtual keyboard.
    2. root your pre
    3. type "/usr/bin/ipkg -o /var install org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard"
    4. launch preware, and remove virtual keyboard again
    5. re-install it and enjoy.
    I hope this will help you.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    namote, you speak english well!

That made perfect sense.

I hope it works for the OP.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    namote, you speak english well!

That made perfect sense.

I hope it works for the OP.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks namote, I'll have to try that out. Out of curiosity though, how do you root your Pre with Windows 7? I've only rooted it with Linux before, which I don't have a working installation at the moment.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I have the same error from quick install.
    installing from preware brings up errors also.

others have mentioned these errors in the superlong thread about the keyboard. but the only response to any of them is "update to 1.2.1"

I have spent many hours over the last few nights to get it to work.
    anybody have any advise for those that already have 1.2.1??
    I am attempting to install the virtual keyboard but having trouble. Available patches is grayed out. Can someone help?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vonstemmington View Post
    Thanks namote, I'll have to try that out. Out of curiosity though, how do you root your Pre with Windows 7? I've only rooted it with Linux before, which I don't have a working installation at the moment.

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

Follow the procedure on the right-hand column.
    I know opinions will vary...

I finally downloaded the virtual keyboard and it does one thing very well: confirms the Pre does not need a virtual keyboard.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    as of this morning, the virtual keyboard is no longer listed in the webOS internals feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    I know opinions will vary...

I finally downloaded the virtual keyboard and it does one thing very well: confirms the Pre does not need a virtual keyboard.

With a hardware keyboard on the Pre, it never did "need" nor will ever "need" a virtual keyboard. Then again the Pre doesn't "need" a ton of things it has available to users.

Out of curiosity did you try the keyboard in landscape mode, and what were issues?

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    With a hardware keyboard on the Pre, it never did "need" nor will ever "need" a virtual keyboard. Then again the Pre doesn't "need" a ton of things it has available to users.

Out of curiosity did you try the keyboard in landscape mode, and what were issues?
    Eric:

I used the landscape mode last night to put up a tweet in Twee, and it was handy (because my Pre was closed and on the Touchstone), but the keyboard nearly filled the screen and obscured the second line of type, so I had to keep closing and reopening and hoping there wasn't a typo in the second line.

It would be nice if text fields behind the keyboard could auto-scroll vertically somehow, but that may be out of the question.

It's been raised elsewhere that it would be nice if the "zoom to text field" feature in 1.2 could scroll horizontally as a text field is filled, and I agree, but again I don't know how possible that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Eric:

I used the landscape mode last night to put up a tweet in Twee, and it was handy (because my Pre was closed and on the Touchstone), but the keyboard nearly filled the screen and obscured the second line of type, so I had to keep closing and reopening and hoping there wasn't a typo in the second line.

It would be nice if text fields behind the keyboard could auto-scroll vertically somehow, but that may be out of the question.

It's been raised elsewhere that it would be nice if the "zoom to text field" feature in 1.2 could scroll horizontally as a text field is filled, and I agree, but again I don't know how possible that is.

Was the text field somewhere in the middle of the screen? I can see that being a problem in landscape, since the "height" of the keyboard in landscape is > 50% of the pre's available height. It's a tough spot to be in but one possible alternative that Rick had suggested to me before that I think was a feature on other Palm vkb's is to have a sort of preview text area at the top of the keyboard to mimic/match the text you enter into the app's highlighted text field.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    The install for the keyboard has disappeared in preware and webos quickinstall. I also tried to install it using the linux and it said that the patch name was not found. Where did it go?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ms2474 View Post
    The install for the keyboard has disappeared in preware and webos quickinstall. I also tried to install it using the linux and it said that the patch name was not found. Where did it go?
    "There is a brief transition period while the keyboard migrates to the autopatch system. The keyboard will be unavailable from the webos-internals feed until further notice (hopefully tonight)."

--found this in another thread about the keyboard patch.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

Follow the procedure on the right-hand column.
    Okay thanks! I'll give that a shot today after I get out of class. Hopefully this can fix the problem. (Of course, at this point since the Virtual Keyboard's off the preware feed, I'll have to wait until tonight or tomorrow to find out for sure, haha.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast