Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I get emails all the time, so LED notification for them is unnecessary. I would prefer it to only flash when I have a text message or voicemail, etc. I realize I could turn off email notifications all together, but I do want to see that I have emails when I open the screen, I just don't want to be beckoned to my phone for them, especially when I'm usually already in my email on the computer.

If anyone has an idea how to make this happen, it would be appreciated.

See jblebrun's program/patch below. Thanks!
    Last edited by mcaaronice; 10/09/2009 at 12:43 PM.
    +1
    +1
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have one account I would like LED notification for but another that I don't need. Maybe a patch could add a toggle to the email account preferences in the New Message ("show icon"/"play sound") section? That would also mean adding it to the New Message prefs in the messaging app as well for those who want the opposite. And probably other places, too.
    +1
    Nice. I need that too. Best would be a configurable panel:

Blink LED on:

* SMS messages [X]
    * Voicemails [X]
    * Email [ ]
    * Application notifications [ ]
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Sounds good to me.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I've almost finished a program + patch that will enable this level of control.
    sweet!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Ok, here's the first crack at it. This should allow you to control LED throbbing on a per-application basis.

It's not quite a one-step install yet, but I guess it could be integrated pretty easily into webOS Quick install once a few people have tested it.

For now, do the following:

1. Install the IPK below. It will give you the program to control LED throbbing, and also place a patch file on your device. However, the patch isn't automatically applied.

2. Do something to get "patch" installed on your device. I think installing a patch will WebOS Quick install will do this, but I'm not really sure.

CAUTION: This next step, if something goes wrong, could result in needing to run webOS doctor. Proceed with caution.
    3. Connect to your device and run the following:
    Edit: KnoxBNYC reminds me that I forgot some necessary commands
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins
    cp palmInitFramework200_18.jsjsjs $palmInitFramework200_18$.$js$.$bak$
    /$var$/$usr$/$bin$/$patch$ -$p0$ &$lt$; /$var$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$info$.$opensourcejason$.$throbsnob$/$framework200_18$.$patch$
    $mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    4. Reboot your device.

5. Run the ThrobSnob program and turn off LED throbbing where you don't want it.

Let me know if it works for you guys or not!

From here, it should be easy to patch the email program and messaging programs to control throbbing on a per-account basis, as well.

Attachment updated 10/9/2009 9:17AM to fix always-throb issue
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jblebrun; 10/09/2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    A little more info, for those interested:

The key to controlling this is to control the behavior of the "indicateNewContent()" function call of the stage controller in the Mojo Framework.

My approach here was to simply patch the framework itself to check for a global system preference for the applications that call the function. The small program attached is what controls those system preferences. This allows global application-level control of the throbbing without having to patch each application.

In order to control the LED notification in a finer-grained manner, it's necessary to patch individual applications to get the desired behavior. From what I've seen, this should be pretty straightforward, it would require just adding a few more preferences to the application, and then adding some logic around the indicateNewContent() function calls to decide whether or not to actually call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblebrun View Post
    Ok, here's the first crack at it. This should allow you to control LED throbbing on a per-application basis.

It's not quite a one-step install yet, but I guess it could be integrated pretty easily into webOS Quick install once a few people have tested it.

For now, do the following:

1. Install the IPK below. It will give you the program to control LED throbbing, and also place a patch file on your device. However, the patch isn't automatically applied.

2. Do something to get "patch" installed on your device. I think installing a patch will WebOS Quick install will do this, but I'm not really sure.

CAUTION: This next step, if something goes wrong, could result in needing to run webOS doctor. Proceed with caution.
    3. Connect to your device and run the following:
    Code:
    /$var$/$usr$/$bin$/$patch$ -$p0$ &$lt$; /$var$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$info$.$opensourcejason$.$throbsnob$/$framework200_18$.$patch$
    4. Reboot your device.

5. Run the ThrobSnob program and turn off LED throbbing where you don't want it.

Let me know if it works for you guys or not!

From here, it should be easy to patch the email program and messaging programs to control throbbing on a per-account basis, as well.

You forgot something....

I got an error: "cp: cannot create 'palmInitFramework200_18.jsjsjs.$bak$': $Read$-$only$ $file$ $system$.&$quot$;

So the Code to run should be as follows:

mount -o remount,rw /
    /var/usr/bin/patch -p0 < /var/usr/palm/applications/info.opensourcejason.throbsnob/framework200_18.patch
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Now, with this installed, the button throbs even when there are no messages at all.

All throb. All the time.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Interesting! I will see if I can recreate that behavior.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I'm seeing that "always throb" behavior, but only when I have the configuration app open. Is that the case for you? I accidentally left in a testing "indicateNewContent" in the app, which causes that behavior. I am updating the attachment to fix that.

Update: Attachment at top fixed to address this problem, 10/9/2009 9:35AM Pacific
    Last edited by jblebrun; 10/09/2009 at 11:35 AM.
  16.    #16  
    Quick question, how would I remove the patch if I wanted to later? So far I've only applied patches via WOSQI and Preware, so it has an interface to remove them after you've installed them.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Well, in the third step, one of the commands makes a backup of the original framework file. So just copy it back:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cp palmInitFramework200_18.jsjsjs.$bak$ $palmInitFramework200_18$.$js$
    $mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for the quick reply. I applied this and the patch, turned off email flashing, sent myself a test email and didn't get a flash. Sent a test text and got the flash. Appears to be working as designed so far. This is awesome, thanks!
    Wow I applied it and works perfectly. Thanks!!!
  20.    #20  
    Strange thing, my phone wanted to install 1.2.1 again today. I did 2 things today, which was install this patch and also I updated Preware with the new autopatch thing. Not sure if anyone else got this experience with this patch, I know that other patches in the past have caused the Pre to think it wasn't on 1.2.1.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast