Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Hey Avid Devs--

I did a search and didn't find anything related to this. Sorry if it has already been discussed.

Like many others, I've patched the hell out of my Pre and love every bit of added functionality. I also dig that Palm is alright with Devs tweaking and testing new/different features.

One feature that has really been useful is Text Forwarding. When it surfaced months ago, it seemed it wasn't that difficult for whomever coded it to figure it out.

So here's my request: Similar to how the "Orange+Tap" now opens a contextual dialog in the web browser on images and URL's, can someone make a patch that does the same thing in Messaging? For example, when I Orange+tap any message in a conversation, it would open the mid-screen menu with the options "FWD SMS ; Email ; Copy text". Tapping FWD would do exactly as described. Tapping Email would launch the email app with the SMS text in the body. And Copy Text would copy just that message to the clipboard, so you can paste it wherever you like - contact info, google maps, memos, tasks, etc. etc. This is more powerful and selective than the new Copy All that palm added with 1.2 that will copy the entire conversation to the clipboard.

I'm not a Dev, but seeing the Homebrew apps that are coming out, I know someone out there has the know-how to make this happen. I think it'd be a killer patch that would attract a lot of attention. Given Palm's addition to the browser with similar functionality, it would seem to be a logical progression in the Messaging app to keep continuity of "how stuff works" in webOS.

Some future additions to this submenu could include: "Add to Calendar" which, similar to gmail/google calendar, would identify parts of the text (think of a text that says "Coffee, 5:00pm at Starbucks on 6th and Main St.") and pre-populate the respective parts of the Calendar (i.e. WHAT/TIME/WHERE/NOTES).

Or "Map this Location" - would require the messaging app to identify addresses as such (right now identifies phone numbers and URL's and makes them tappable hyperlinks) and then open Google Maps to map the location. Again, this is a feature Gmail/Google calendar does that I thought might be able to translate to webOS?!?!

Devs- You guys are stellar and really are the saving grace to pushing webOS forward rapidly. Keep up the good work! I really look forward to your future projects and hope this suggestion can be developed somehow soon.

-turtle3
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    bump
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    good idea...didn't know about the orange+tap in the browser.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Hey Avid Devs--

I did a search and didn't find anything related to this. Sorry if it has already been discussed.

Like many others, I've patched the hell out of my Pre and love every bit of added functionality. I also dig that Palm is alright with Devs tweaking and testing new/different features.

One feature that has really been useful is Text Forwarding. When it surfaced months ago, it seemed it wasn't that difficult for whomever coded it to figure it out.

So here's my request: Similar to how the "Orange+Tap" now opens a contextual dialog in the web browser on images and URL's, can someone make a patch that does the same thing in Messaging? For example, when I Orange+tap any message in a conversation, it would open the mid-screen menu with the options "FWD SMS ; Email ; Copy text". Tapping FWD would do exactly as described. Tapping Email would launch the email app with the SMS text in the body. And Copy Text would copy just that message to the clipboard, so you can paste it wherever you like - contact info, google maps, memos, tasks, etc. etc. This is more powerful and selective than the new Copy All that palm added with 1.2 that will copy the entire conversation to the clipboard.

I'm not a Dev, but seeing the Homebrew apps that are coming out, I know someone out there has the know-how to make this happen. I think it'd be a killer patch that would attract a lot of attention. Given Palm's addition to the browser with similar functionality, it would seem to be a logical progression in the Messaging app to keep continuity of "how stuff works" in webOS.

Some future additions to this submenu could include: "Add to Calendar" which, similar to gmail/google calendar, would identify parts of the text (think of a text that says "Coffee, 5:00pm at Starbucks on 6th and Main St.") and pre-populate the respective parts of the Calendar (i.e. WHAT/TIME/WHERE/NOTES).

Or "Map this Location" - would require the messaging app to identify addresses as such (right now identifies phone numbers and URL's and makes them tappable hyperlinks) and then open Google Maps to map the location. Again, this is a feature Gmail/Google calendar does that I thought might be able to translate to webOS?!?!

Devs- You guys are stellar and really are the saving grace to pushing webOS forward rapidly. Keep up the good work! I really look forward to your future projects and hope this suggestion can be developed somehow soon.

-turtle3
    I'm not really sure I need the rest of the options, but I purposely dont use the forward text patch, even though I want to, because I randomly tap the screen too much with browsing texts, and accidentally initiate a forward. Orange Tap would be lovely
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    This would be sick.
    great idea homie