Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    I updated this morning, without knowing I should have removed all homebrews, themes and patches first. So I did it afterwards, using the Emergency Patch Removal in Preware. Is that cool, or should I re-install the update?

Thanks -
    cosmoshopper: I did the same thing. Where is the emergency patch removal?

EDITED: Nevermind. I'm special. I found it. *doh*
    Last edited by raedayz619; 01/01/2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    My son just let his pre update without removing any patches or themes - no problem, updated and preware still works fine. We have 3 pre's, I went through the patch removal on my wife's and mine, had to re-install all the patches, and my son upgraded with no effort.
    very helpfull thanks
    Thanks for this great post. Its like a mini patch catalog
    Using Preware, I am able to install patches, but they dont work.
    (landscape email for example)
    Everything else works fine. All apps, etc.
    Ideas?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I followed all the correct steps, when I put a couple patches back on after updating to 1.3.5, they do not show up in the installed section and are not removable, even though the patch is working and affecting the display. Any ideas on how I can remove those next time there is an update? Thanks,
    hows it going, i have a problem i need help with... i recently updated from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5. i forgot to uninstall my patches before the update. preware says that the patches are installed but NONE of them are working and i cant remove the patches at all. ive used webos quick install to erase the patches, webos doctor to reset myphone, and preware to try and erase them and nothing works... how can i delete the patches so i can reinstall them???
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis82 View Post
    hows it going, i have a problem i need help with... i recently updated from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5. i forgot to uninstall my patches before the update. preware says that the patches are installed but NONE of them are working and i cant remove the patches at all. ive used webos quick install to erase the patches, webos doctor to reset myphone, and preware to try and erase them and nothing works... how can i delete the patches so i can reinstall them???
    I also did not remove patches before updating. I basically have the same problem, but preware thinks i have no patches installed and when i try to install patches via preware, it gives me a fail message.
    For example I had the 4x4 icons v3 installed before update and now after the update I dont see the patch active. Preware does not recognize it as an installed patch, but when i go to install it I get the error "error installing: see ipkg log"
    Applications on the other hand install fine via preware.

Please someone help me!
    I ended up printing a lot of pages from PreCentral & ended up having to reset my phone though Palm OS Doctor. Before you do that, though, I would suggest you do a backup. Once I got everything reset, I downloaded & then installed the latest update. That automatically restarts your phone. Then, I backed up my phone & then I installed package manager, preware, & luna & restarted again. After that, patches were finally available for me. However, I wrote down which ones I added to make sure I know what to remove before the next update. (Before I added the patches, I backed up my phone again.) After I added all the patches, I did another backup, & then I restarted my phone again & they were all there. (I've been working on this since the 1st!).

Palm is the one who told me I needed to remove my patches & my theme before I do any updates. I didn't know it & hadn't done it before except this time, my phone got all messed up. I hope you can find an easier solution than what I had to go through. Also, before I make any changes, I'm backing my phone up! I've lost all my passwords twice now (one on a memo I accidentally deleted & one on a patch that got wiped out). Just like "save often," I now "back up" often when I change something!

If you find an easier solution that the painful one I had to go through, please post!

Best of luck!
    Does anyone have a list of the Patches that WORK with 1.3.5.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by ydopen View Post
    Does anyone have a list of the Patches that WORK with 1.3.5.1?
    Assuming you are using Preware to patch? If so, then any patch which shows up in the 'Patch' list in the Preware feed is theoretically 1.3.5 certified. I've heard a few instances (just 1 or 2) where someone installed a 1.3.5 approved patch and it errored-out on install or just didn't work, but I think even those are fixed now.

If you are not using Preware.... I know WebOS Internals (http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...tches_to_webOS) had maintained a list of updated patches for prior webos versions, but I'm not sure if they are still doing that (or if it makes any sense for them to do so when all of the patches are now hosted in their feeds and Preware is designed to only show patches for devices with WebOS versions for which the patches will work.)

Edit -- Looks like the last update to that list was for 1.3.1-ready patches. I think that's about the time Preware was updated to support 'device-ready' patch Identification.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 01/06/2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I think that's about the time Preware was updated to support 'device-ready' patch Identification.
    Have a read of the Preware Features Roadmap thread. It's in alpha testing now.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Have a read of the Preware Features Roadmap thread. It's in alpha testing now.

-- Rod
    Ooops Rod. I think you might have mis-read my intention, I definitely did not want to confuse anyone! I've absolutely been following that thread and I'm excited to see that the new feature set is currently in testing.

In my post, I had actually intended to credit you guys with already having a basic WebOS Patch compatibility feature in Preware a few versions back (granted, as written, I did appear to call you out for not having it).

What I intended by the final edits to my post, was to say that since WebOS 1.3.1 or so (and the corresponding version of Preware), Preware does show users just those Patches that are self identified (through version naming) as compatible with 1.3.1-x. So, in my eyes you guys were already doing this.

I completely understand that this capability will be much more robust in the future to facilitate "mindless and pain free" WebOS updates and patch compatibility, but that's another theme for another day and beyond the scope of what the person I was responding to was looking for in his search for a list of 1.3.5. compatible patches.

Anyway, since I've had the opportunity to 'converse' with you here, kudos to you and the gang for all of your great work. Still very excited here about WebOS' potential.

Best, John
    Hi Folks,

As the subject says, I did exactly opposite of what was suggested to do.
    1. I first updated webos, then it went to into sleep mode without coming out of the reboot. so I had to softboot after waiting for 2 hrs.
    2. Then I suspected the problem, and ended up deleting all application using "orange button" + tap.

Now the issue is I am not able to even install the new apps from the catalog.

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN RESET MY DEVICE PALM PRE to the original setting just the "Webos 1.3.5.1, and then I'll work my way up to the patches and other applications.

Thanks,
    Jag
    Quote Originally Posted by watersoup View Post
    Hi Folks,

As the subject says, I did exactly opposite of what was suggested to do.
    1. I first updated webos, then it went to into sleep mode without coming out of the reboot. so I had to softboot after waiting for 2 hrs.
    2. Then I suspected the problem, and ended up deleting all application using "orange button" + tap.

Now the issue is I am not able to even install the new apps from the catalog.

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN RESET MY DEVICE PALM PRE to the original setting just the "Webos 1.3.5.1, and then I'll work my way up to the patches and other applications.

Thanks,
    Jag
    Full Erase, then WebOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I found I had a GNU patch installed and removed it prior to the last up date 1.3.5.1 but don't see it listed anymore in preware. Is this patch necessary for anything and if so will it be added to preware?
    pretty interesting
    Is there a page or write up somewhere of all the proper steps to do before updating?

I messed up last time and ended up having to WebOS Doctor it. No fun.
    anyone know how to fix the problem with patches that were not removed prior to an update and won't install now because of an error either in preware or quickinstall?