Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seegrams View Post
    All of this patch business seems really awesome but i'm very nervous about some how damaging my phone or messing it up some how, if someone could give me a little feedback on why or why not these patches are a good idea that would be great, a simplification of installing, maintaining, and uninstalling patches would be wonderful as well.

patches r fine for ur pre.....u just need to uninstall them before u get an update....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    All of this patch business seems really awesome but i'm very nervous about some how damaging my phone or messing it up some how, if someone could give me a little feedback on why or why not these patches are a good idea that would be great, a simplification of installing, maintaining, and uninstalling patches would be wonderful as well.
    seegrams,

The applications and patches provided by various developers greatly improve the functionality of the Pre. I currently have 22 Homebrew apps and 13 patches installed, and have experienced no problems.

There have been reports of some users experiencing problems with homebrew themes, but I haven't installed any so I can't offer any opinion about them.

There is an enormous amount of info available in this forum regarding apps and patches - so much that, by the time you get through it all, some of the issues may have been addressed in future WebOS updates!

If you haven't done so already, I recommend you start here. In the first two posts, you will find very straightforward instructions on the installation and use of WebOS Quick Install, which is a first step toward using homebrew apps and patches via Preware. Take it one step at a time, search for answers to your questions and ask for help, if necessary.

And remember that if things go bad, you can restore your Pre to its original condition using WebOS Doctor.

Good luck.
    How do you use these patches. I would like to change the carrier, add the 10 timer for camera etc........
    how do i open a .patch file?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
    how do i open a .patch file?
    It's a text file, but you need a special "patch" program to apply it.

The easiest way to use patches on the Pre is to install Preware and select the patch you want from the 100+ patches available there.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    im just wondering?? i have two patches that i dont see in here at all 1) extra cards patch 2) no-browser-gc-flag-patch, just kinda wondering if they are going to be put into the web patches feed or not?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    im just wondering?? i have two patches that i dont see in here at all 1) extra cards patch 2) no-browser-gc-flag-patch, just kinda wondering if they are going to be put into the web patches feed or not?
    1) Are the MIT open source licensed?

2) Have they been submitted?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    1) look under patches for "Enable add/delete pages" Either under All, or I think under Launcher.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    How about an app that keeps track of your patches so when you have to blow them out for an update it will allow you to select them to be reloaded in batch?
    Quote Originally Posted by sratson View Post
    How about an app that keeps track of your patches so when you have to blow them out for an update it will allow you to select them to be reloaded in batch?
    Yep, that would be great. The API for the Package Manager Service is open source - who's going to step up and write the app?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yep, that would be great. The API for the Package Manager Service is open source - who's going to step up and write the app?

-- Rod
    actually, it would really be good if it was right in preware.. Since that is where the patches are installed from in the first place..
    Quote Originally Posted by sratson View Post
    actually, it would really be good if it was right in preware.. Since that is where the patches are installed from in the first place..
    Same answer applies - who's going to step up and write the quite considerable piece of code required to implement such a feature?

"Persistent Configurations" are on the Preware roadmap, but resourcing is limited (and currently working on wIRC for the main part).

So anyone who is seriously interested in working on this as part of the webos-internals development team should send me an email.

-- Rod
  13.    #193  
    It took a couple of weeks but here it is:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...es-themes.html

- Craig
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I used preware to uninstall my patches and theme then restarted but some patches are still there. The percent meter and month/date still show and when I plug my pre into a charger the noise doesn't sound. So far those are the only one I have noticed. Also after I uninstalled the theme the backround was still there after reboot. I tried to install those patches that still showed so I could try to uninstall again but they won't install. I also installed the EPR but I am not sure how it works. Do you install it and you're done? Do you have to do anything after? I rebooted but everything is still the same. Just want to me sure I do this right b4 I update.
    I am in a similar situation with patches still functioning after running EPR and restarting the device. Not sure what to do. I won't upgrade to 1.3.1 until it's safe I suppose...
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    can't get pinbypass to reinstall after update. says ipkg failed. help it is my favorite tweak

Ipkg log says:

Failed:
    ErrorGenericMethodException: failure during post-install script execution
    Last edited by jfisch; 11/14/2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added error code
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I just made a patch and have verified that it works on 1.3.1...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...text-menu.html

How do I get it added?
    I made the mistake of not deleting ALL of my patches when upgrading to 1.3. sooo here's my issue, I had 4x4 v3 and it didn't work when i upgraded. Then I attempt to delete it (after the update) and i get an error in ipkg log. Next i restarted my pre, and now its not listed as a patch that is installed at all!!! I can download v2 BUT I LIKE V3 PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ejackso2 View Post
    I made the mistake of not deleting ALL of my patches when upgrading to 1.3. sooo here's my issue, I had 4x4 v3 and it didn't work when i upgraded. Then I attempt to delete it (after the update) and i get an error in ipkg log. Next i restarted my pre, and now its not listed as a patch that is installed at all!!! I can download v2 BUT I LIKE V3 PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Use the Emergency Patch Recovery tool.

Preware should that patch as available for 1.3.1 ... it's one of the 92 that were ported before the 1.3.1 release day.

Follow @webosinternals on twitter for more 1.3.1 news.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I dnt seem to be getting Roam only in pref or Roam only in Launcher to work... pretty much the most important one for me... any thoughts would be great!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El