1.    #1  
    This is an experiment in changing font sizes. I have figured out how to change a few fonts and attached screenshots showing the ones I have altered so far. I have more places I want to change the fonts at but I haven't figured out what block of code those ones are in. First about the changes so far.

The change for the memo is a global change in the framework. I wrote a little about it in the screenshot to demo. In messaging I found the code block for the bubbles in a conversation but I haven't found the code block for the conversation list. I would like to change the conversation list font size to match the font size in a conversation.

Lastly the dashboard. I read at least one person who mentioned it would be nice if the font was smaller so that more notifications could be seen on the screen at once. With that in mind I thought hey that would be neat. I have changed the font size and the element that surrounds the text. However I don't know what controls the size of the element around the element that surrounds the text. I'm pretty sure it is in the same CSS as the rest of the changes I made to the notifications. Also SMS (maybe MMS and IMs) notifications are controlled by other code than the one that changed the charging battery and email notifications.

With all that said, what does everyone think so far? Are there any other fonts that you think would look better or be prefered to be smaller than they are. I call the ones I'm changing font size for the blind cause they take up so much screen real estate. for so few words. Oh and there is one screenshot for comparison of the dashboard before the change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Definitely digging the smaller notifications, I would definitely use this, as I have the same issue with the amount of screen real estate they take up for really very little information. Good work!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by superkyol View Post
    Definitely digging the smaller notifications, I would definitely use this, as I have the same issue with the amount of screen real estate they take up for really very little information. Good work!
    The key to that is to figure out what the element is behind the element surrounding the text. The notification area is multi-layered. I'm pretty sure it is at least 3 or 4 layers deep. The text layer, an element surrounding the text, an element behind that element (the black area between the elements behind the text of each notification), and possibly another layer behind that defining how the components fit into the dashboard. There may also be elements or layers that I'm not aware of at this time. So I have to adjust each layer and element. So far I had to adjust the text element and the element behind the text to get the notification to look smaller. However it isn't taking up less vertical real estate because the elements behind those elements need to be changed to match the reduction in size of the other elements.
  4.    #4  
    Update: the messaging app is defining some stuff related to notifications one such detail was the font size for message notifications. But I really need someones help who knows what things define what parts. I simply can't figure out what controls the black space seen between notifications. This has to be defined somewhere since it remains static when the other elements are reduced in size.

Also the icon on the left, it's container has a height and width definition, I reduced the height to match the height reduction of the text container to accommodate the smaller font size but it looks as if the image within the contain doesn't get resized and goes out of bounds.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Can you find a way to change the font size for emails that get sent from the Pre? I've been digging around in the email app code, and can't where a font type/size is specified for the email that gets sent. The font type/size for the rich text editor is easy to find and change, but not so for the email body that gets sent out.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by menomonee View Post
    Can you find a way to change the font size for emails that get sent from the Pre? I've been digging around in the email app code, and can't where a font type/size is specified for the email that gets sent. The font type/size for the rich text editor is easy to find and change, but not so for the email body that gets sent out.
    I've not looked at the email app. However if I were to guess right now that it may not be possible to alter the font or it's size that is sent. I'm not even sure where to look if it is set by a file we can alter.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    WebOS 1.1 sent emails using a Times New Roman type of font, and then WebOS 1.2 changed to sending emails with a Verdana font. I was thinking of finding a WebOS 1.1 emulator, and grep the code for "Times" to see if anything shows up. Maybe that would help identify where to make this font change for emails.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I found a way to change the sent email font type and size. Please search for the thread titled "Custom fonts for any part of the Pre!". (I would paste the permalink here, but I don't have enough posts yet to include a link.)
  9.    #9  
    I'm going to check that out as it may very well have info about some of the stuff I wanted to change. I haven't applied my changes I did for this thread since updating to 1.2.1 so I'll report back when I have applied them and new stuff.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Where did you make the changes fore the messaging? I want to modify the size of my font for SMS coming in..

Thanks for the work
  11.    #11  
    All of the changes I have made so far are in the CSS files for the respective apps except for the global text entry stuff. I haven't changed them to the smaller size since I updated to 1.2.1 so I can provide more detail when I do. I was going to make a patch for it once I have located all of the stuff I wanted to reduce sizes on but I have had time to poke around to locate all of the places they are specified.