Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I installed the character counter yesterday via Preware, worked great, the nice small bubble with the numbers inside.

Well today Ive been removing Quick Install tweaks and switching them all over to Preware patches instead so I can just use preware from now on to remove/install.

Somewhere in the process the Char Counter got screwed up, now when I start typing it makes the text box extra tall and the counter just looks like normal text. I thought Id remove it and reinstall the patch....but it says error removing patch. Suggestions?
    Did you take a look at the IPK log after you got the error? What did that say?
  3.    #3  
    Yep

error.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post

Most likely when you removed patches with QI it reverted the files that the charcounter patch touched. Thus the patch can not reverse itself because the files are no longer patched.

I did think ahead when designing autopatch and situations like this were planned for. So you have the Emergency Patch Recovery ipk that is basically a self-removing package that runs a script to remove all the patch packages cleanly for you.

Also note that the autopatch feed and patch as ipk system was made with interoperability intentions, and the next version of QI will be using this autopatch feed and patch-ipk system so that patches should install/uninstall the same via any advanced installer.

Find EPR in available applications.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  5.    #5  
    ok I got EPR downloaded, but how do I run it?
  6.    #6  
    Nevermind, just restarted luna and realized it runs itself when you download it. Thanks. Now back to reinstalling all 22 patches
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Most likely when you removed patches with QI it reverted the files that the charcounter patch touched. Thus the patch can not reverse itself because the files are no longer patched.

I did think ahead when designing autopatch and situations like this were planned for. So you have the Emergency Patch Recovery ipk that is basically a self-removing package that runs a script to remove all the patch packages cleanly for you.

Also note that the autopatch feed and patch as ipk system was made with interoperability intentions, and the next version of QI will be using this autopatch feed and patch-ipk system so that patches should install/uninstall the same via any advanced installer.

Find EPR in available applications.
    I saw the EPR in the feeds the other night & it said 1.1.0 only, i take it it's been updated for 1.2.0? And when run, will Preware recognize that the installed patches were removed? I'm just curious because with the release of QuickInstall 2.7 i might just handle my patches through there if the EPR will simply remove the patches without issue.

~Thanks for your help with all the patches e_money
  8.    #8  
    I wonder if the new QI will require luna restart after checking each tweak like it used to? Thats the one thing I like better about preware for patches besides being OTA.

One nice feature would be a way to remove all patches, then reinstall all for OTA Webos updates...kind of like what you can do with rooting in patches.

Well I removed all the patches with EPR, worked fine, then went in to reinstall them and now some will not install. I cannot get any of the battery percentage patches to work, and the reduce minimum brightness will not work now either...even though they all worked yesterday through preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    I saw the EPR in the feeds the other night & it said 1.1.0 only, i take it it's been updated for 1.2.0? And when run, will Preware recognize that the installed patches were removed? I'm just curious because with the release of QuickInstall 2.7 i might just handle my patches through there if the EPR will simply remove the patches without issue.

~Thanks for your help with all the patches e_money

It is my understanding that QI 2.7 will be using the autopatch feed. One of the major reasons of doing patches as ipk's is being ipk is the interoperable standard on the Pre. Any ipk installed will be recognized by the installers, no matter which one.

The basis for me working on this is so that you can use whatever installer you want, whenever you want. You don't have to manage your apps either entirely with QI, or entirely with Preware or entirely with Preload. And patches are going to be the same way.

Install a patch in preware, remove with QI. Install a patch with QI, remove with preware. Interoperability, stability and ease of use are my goals.

PS: EPR is non webos version specific

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Wow, that's great. Thanks for letting me know. Just made it so much easier than the old way of patching with quilt. Thanks for the reply, good to know the patches should be installable / uninstallable thought Preware & Quick Install.
    I love the counter patch that displays the number of characters; however, it really should be a reverse counter from 160 char down to zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    I love the counter patch that displays the number of characters; however, it really should be a reverse counter from 160 char down to zero.
    To me, that doesn't make much sense. So as soon as you get to 0 it actually displays 160??? If you have an extremely long text message, you might even forget which session of 160 you are on. In that case you lose functionality.

With all due respect, you are a festigio.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    i would want in to count the number of characters from zero up since the device will send a long message in multiple texts so counting backwards would be pointless. A 320 character message, the counter would be negative 160 characters when you got done typing lol Major Fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    i would want in to count the number of characters from zero up since the device will send a long message in multiple texts so counting backwards would be pointless. A 320 character message, the counter would be negative 160 characters when you got done typing lol Major Fail.

It's kind of shortsighted to believe that there can only be one number counting and there couldn't be some sort of carryover indicator.

-Eric G

Donate
    The way it works now is perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    The way it works now is perfect.
    +1
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    If the maximum message you could send was one 160 character message, I would agree with you. But since the Pre breaks up messages and allows you to continue typing, counting up is better than counting down.

Calculating multiples of 160 isn't too difficult to do in your head as long as you're keeping your messages to a reasonable 2-3 segments.
    I don't use this, but if i did, i agree with the OP that I would prefer it to go from 160->0, then back to 160 and count down for page two of the message
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    To me, that doesn't make much sense. So as soon as you get to 0 it actually displays 160??? If you have an extremely long text message, you might even forget which session of 160 you are on. In that case you lose functionality.

With all due respect, you are a festigio.
    The Pre has a built-in indication of how many messages will be sent for the text entered into the input box. If the counter went from 160 down to 0 and then reset at 160 you would be able to look at the number of messages being sent (it shows up on the send button in the input field) and the number of characters left in the counter. So, for example, if the counter was displaying 85 and the number of messages indicator was displaying 2 you would know that you have 85 characters left before you run into a third message. To me, this functionality would be more useful. It's an opinion thing, though, perhaps we just need another patch to handle counting down as an alternative to the one that counts up.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    +5000 teej51685.. i do agree that it should count down.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast