Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disagree entirely myself, counting up is better.

But, it'd also be nice if it wasn't visible when using AIM or Gtalk, since it doesn't matter then.
    Regardless a new patch would need to be created. Instead of character counter it would need to be called character subtractor. Everyone wins!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Regardless a new patch would need to be created. Instead of character counter it would need to be called character subtractor. Everyone wins!

A new patch is not necessarily needed. The existing patch could be expanded to include a modification to the preferences so that you can choose between the two dynamically.

Just saying in case anyone decides to work on it, one patch with user options is better than multiple patches.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    good thinking bpdamas! so lets create a Patch Request thread.. Character Subtractor!
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    A new patch is not necessarily needed. The existing patch could be expanded to include a modification to the preferences so that you can choose between the two dynamically.

Just saying in case anyone decides to work on it, one patch with user options is better than multiple patches.
    Touche. I agree the more options the better.
    well emoney can make it happen that's for sure lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Counting down would be infinitely more useful.
    I am uninstalling the patch in protest and I won't use it again until it has been changed.

But seriously, do you stop typing to figure out how many characters you have left before the next message break? Or is it more like

"Hey bro, the last 5 messages I sent you totaled 736 characters, thats crazy dude"

"Um... yeah, that was awesome...I guess"

"Yeah I know right, but the last one was only 79 so, you know..thats still pretty cool right"

To me, a countdown with a carry-over-counter makes more sense then counting up.

Pete
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Counting DOWN is stupid. The 160 limit only applies to SMS, so if you're talking to someone on GTalk or AIM, it's going to be showing negative numbers all the time.

How hard is it to subtract in your head?
    if counter shows 150, you have 10 characters left.
    if counter shows 125, you have 35 characters left.
    if counter shows 100, you have 60 characters left.

Counting up is definitely more natural and makes more sense. Plus it's applicable to more than just SMS.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    what's the sense in arguing.. i thought we agreed that it would be great to have the option for it to work either way.. geez.. some people just gotta be difficult.. if there are two options and you don't think one makes sense just don't use it. duh..
    Hello,

Im really at a loss of whats going wrong here.... Yesterday, i applied 2 new patches: the messaging patch for the avatar on the left side of the screen and then the no quick launcher 'patch'/theme... The left side avatar seemed to work but for some reason, the changes to the quick launcher bar destroyed my launcher page (i thought it was because it didnt work with 4x4 launcher)... Basically, the only way i fixed my issues was by doing a EPR.

NOW, ive left my quick launcher removed and I am trying to install all of my previous patches... however, for some reason EVERYTHING works except for Message Forwarding and Character Counter, 2 patches which I would really like to have. Message Forwarding wont install. The IPKG log says that Hunk #1 fails at 1451. The character counter installs, but then doesnt count characters. I have found that if i type a message, do a back gesture, and then go back into that message it will have the amount of character i typed, but it wont increase or decrease....

I feel like ive tried everything. Ive done an EPR and tried installing both message forwarding and character counting first.... Ive unzipped the com.palm.app.messaging folder from the WebOSDoctor.jar file, and replaced it with my usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging folder (basically a fresh messaging install) but it still gives the same issues...

Anyone have any ideas? Is there anything else i can do short of WebOSDoc (Ide REALLY like to avoid this...) in order to renew my messaging app? Im not linux illiterate so if youve got ideas that will take some CLI or vi, thats fine.

If anyone knows EVERYTHING i would need to replace in order to completely renew my messaging app, please let me know.... Something is obviously messed up because i had both of these patches installed and working yesterday.

EDIT: this wouldnt be because of the remove quick launch bar would it? All that is is a new picture for the bg and a simple change in one file for the launcher.
    Character counter for me is nill right now and as well as calender default in month view.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Before you doctor your phone, you should run WebOS Repair Utility with compatibility override enabled. It will wipe your phone of all patches. It takes a while to run, but it works.
    Hello
    Deinstalled Msing char counter patch, and reinstalled, but it does not display as I text.

Any other victims?

Thank you
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    Hello
    Deinstalled Msing char counter patch, and reinstalled, but it does not display as I text.

Any other victims?

Thank you
    Nope, it works just fine for me. did you try restarting your phone?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Works for me.
    rebooting did it.
    Hey guys. I tried looking everywhere for an answer before posting this. Maybe people used different terminology, but I couldn't find a thing.

For some odd reason I can't get the character counter patch to work from WOQI. I do have the latest version of EVERYTHING so far. I've tried from both the System Mods & Online Repository tabs and it won't install.

This is the error message I'm getting:

I can't make sense of this. Anyone wanna chime in on what's going on?
    so here is my little bug:
    i got a gsm pre from o2 (i live in germany)
    since yesterday i was running webOS 1.1.3 and everything seemed to be okay.
    before updating i uninstalled every patch which i've installed via preware or quick install and while i was doing this i recognized that via preware the character counter patch which i've have been installed a while ago and then uninstalled was still listed but not working as an unknown installed something.
    between those two steps the preware feeds for the 1.1.3 users were changed..maybe this is the reason while the patch wasn't remoed correctly.
    so..
    preware was not able to uninstall the patch and quick install didn't find it.
    the patch wasn't so important to me so i decided to hit 1.3.1 on it..
    after updating and setting everything up i tried to install the charcater counter patch again....and it worked...
    it disappeard from the unknown section to was listed correctly in the patch section...
    everything seemed to be okay since today morning..
    my messenger app wasn't able to connect to my aim account.
    first i thought it's because i added a second account (google) but after deleting it nothing happend.
    than i uninstalled every messenger-patch excepting the character counting patch, because i can't anymore...
    i'm sure this is the reason while my messenger app isn't working anymore..
    so..
    what can i do now?
    use the delete option on the pre or using the doctor?
    but which docotor?
    the bell or the sprint one?
    i'm not sure...

thanks for advice...
    It could be a few things, but you should probably try the Emergency Patch Removal Tool which is located in Preware. Run that and it'll remove all your patches, it should save you from having to Dr. your pre.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast