Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Hi,
    I just tested uninstalling the patch, and it seems that while the files are being restored, the search options remain, even after a reset. Sorry about that.

For now, you can go into the browser preferences, and select Google as the default search engine to change the Universal search and browser URL search back. I'll work on trying to figure out a way of completely removing the new search options from the system on uninstall.
    Hello, was this ever resolved? I installed the KeyToss patch, and then uninstalled it. Upon uninstallation, the text "Keytoss" takes place of the google logo. I have checked all the files I believe that are modified, but can't find the reason for the error. Can you please point us to the raw source code of the patch so that I can see which file needs to be restored?

Thank you.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by draven76 View Post
    Hello, was this ever resolved? I installed the KeyToss patch, and then uninstalled it. Upon uninstallation, the text "Keytoss" takes place of the google logo. I have checked all the files I believe that are modified, but can't find the reason for the error. Can you please point us to the raw source code of the patch so that I can see which file needs to be restored?

Thank you.
    Hi,
    Sorry about that. All your app files were restored when you uninstalled the patch. The problem is that there are a couple database entries that need to be removed.

With webOS 1.3.1, Palm changed the way it handled the search engines. Before, everything was in the app code. But now, it uses a database for the default search engine (and the search engines from which you choose in the browser preferences). The search engines that are listed below the default choice are still listed in the app code, though I expect that to be changed eventually too. Switching to a database makes it possible to add and remove entries.

To make the KeyToss patch compatible, I needed to rewrite it to add KeyToss to the database. The problem is that I can't have the entry automatically removed when you uninstall the patch.

If you go into browser preferences and select Google as your default search engine, both the Universal Search and the browser's URL Search should be back to the original state, with the Google logo appearing as normal in both places. The only difference is that instead of Google being the only search option in the browser preferences, you will still see KeyToss and Yahoo as options.

I've tried to modify the patch to add and remove the entries each time the browser launches and closes. Unfortunately that didn't work because the browser actually never shuts down, even when you close it.

I'm considering developing an interface to manage the search engines. But that would take some time, and I'm pretty sure Palm is already working on it. I'm still not sure the best solution to this.

If having the extra options listed in the browser preferences bothers you, just let me know, and I can write a special patch pretty quickly which would remove those entries. You'd just install and uninstall the patch.

Also, you asked for the link to the actual patch file. It's the first link in this post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2050489
    Hi,
    Sorry about that. All your app files were restored when you uninstalled the patch. The problem is that there are a couple database entries that need to be removed.

With webOS 1.3.1, Palm changed the way it handled the search engines. Before, everything was in the app code. But now, it uses a database for the default search engine (and the search engines from which you choose in the browser preferences). The search engines that are listed below the default choice are still listed in the app code, though I expect that to be changed eventually too. Switching to a database makes it possible to add and remove entries.

To make the KeyToss patch compatible, I needed to rewrite it to add KeyToss to the database. The problem is that I can't have the entry automatically removed when you uninstall the patch.

If you go into browser preferences and select Google as your default search engine, both the Universal Search and the browser's URL Search should be back to the original state, with the Google logo appearing as normal in both places. The only difference is that instead of Google being the only search option in the browser preferences, you will still see KeyToss and Yahoo as options.

I've tried to modify the patch to add and remove the entries each time the browser launches and closes. Unfortunately that didn't work because the browser actually never shuts down, even when you close it.

I'm considering developing an interface to manage the search engines. But that would take some time, and I'm pretty sure Palm is already working on it. I'm still not sure the best solution to this.

If having the extra options listed in the browser preferences bothers you, just let me know, and I can write a special patch pretty quickly which would remove those entries. You'd just install and uninstall the patch.

Also, you asked for the link to the actual patch file. It's the first link in this post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2050489
    I had actually read the "change default browser search engine" solution before, but didn't bother to try it since I thought the difference would be found in the app code. However, upon your explanation regarding the search engine database, it made perfect sense. I then tried it, and it worked perfectly (restoring google as default and restoring the icon).

Thanks for the quick solution, and thanks for educating me on how 1.3.1 deals with Universal Search!
  4.    #64  
    Ok, so if anyone wants to remove the KeyToss (and Yahoo) entries in the search engine list on the Browser Preferences page after uninstalling the KeyToss Keyword Search patch, use the following database-reset-patch:
    http://ktimg.com/pre/keysearch_patch...tabase-2.patch
    Updated Link 2010-03-04

Steps:

1. After uninstalling the KeyToss Keyword Search patch, download the above database-reset-patch file to your computer. (Right-click on the link, and select "Save Link As". Don't open the file in the browser and copy/paste the text; it won't work.)
    2. Use WebOS Quick Install to install the database-reset-patch onto your device.
    3. Launch your browser.
    4. At this point, your search engine database should be back to original state (as of webOS 1.3.1) and contain only Google. Confirm this by going into Browser Preferences, as well as by testing Universal Search and the Browser URL Search.
    5. Uninstall the database-reset-patch.
    Last edited by samkim; 03/04/2010 at 02:55 PM.
  5.    #65  
    You can now search for webOS apps by typing @a and the search term. Note that you can also hide developers and select apps to save.
    More info here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...pp-finder.html

(And I changed the keyword for Ask.com to @ask.)
    Nice one Sam.
    I can't seem to update Keytoss in Preware after the 1.4 update. I had installed the AUPT-3 version of the package prior to the update.

During Preware's initial update all, the Keytoss update showed a failure during the remove step. Afterwards, it didn't show up in my list of installed patches. If I try to install, the IPKG log loost good in every section, including Postinst and Remove, but at the very end, it says:

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution
    I can't seem to update Keytoss in Preware after the 1.4 update. I had installed the AUPT-3 version of the package prior to the update.

During Preware's initial update all, the Keytoss update showed a failure during the remove step. Afterwards, it didn't show up in my list of installed patches. If I try to install, the IPKG log loost good in every section, including Postinst and Remove, but at the very end, it says:

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution
  9.    #69  
    The patch works, but it seems that Preware is looking in the wrong place for the patch.

Here's the patch file if you want to install it manually:
    http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....4.0-3_all.ipk

I'll contact the webos-internals guys about getting Preware pointed correctly.
    The patch works, but it seems that Preware is looking in the wrong place for the patch.

This patch doesn't install on my Pre. Here's what I get in the log:
    Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATCH INSTALLATION Sat Feb 27 15:20:33 PST 2010
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.universal-search-keytoss-keyword-search/universal-search-keytoss-keyword-search.patch

----------------------------------
    Dry run patch attempt...
    patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/urlsearch-controller.jsjsjs
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$global$-$search$-$assistant$.$js$
    $Hunk$ #$1$ $succeeded$ $at$ $37$ $with$ $fuzz$ $1$.
    $Hunk$ #$2$ $succeeded$ $at$ $59$ $with$ $fuzz$ $1$.
    $Hunk$ #$3$ $succeeded$ $at$ $69$ ($offset$ $1$ $line$).
    $Hunk$ #$4$ $succeeded$ $at$ $158$ $with$ $fuzz$ $1$ ($offset$ $14$ $lines$).
    $Hunk$ #$5$ $succeeded$ $at$ $469$ ($offset$ $29$ $lines$).
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$stylesheets$/$global$-$search$.$css$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$browser$/$app$/$controllers$/$preferences$-$assistant$.$js$

$Verify$ $file$ $replacements$...
    *** $FAILED$ ***
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    This patch doesn't install on my Pre. Here's what I get in the log:
    Code:
    PATCH INSTALLATION Sat Feb 27 15:20:33 PST 2010
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.universal-search-keytoss-keyword-search/universal-search-keytoss-keyword-search.patch

Dry run patch attempt...
    patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/urlsearch-controller.jsjsjs
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$global$-$search$-$assistant$.$js$
    $Hunk$ #$1$ $succeeded$ $at$ $37$ $with$ $fuzz$ $1$.
    $Hunk$ #$2$ $succeeded$ $at$ $59$ $with$ $fuzz$ $1$.
    $Hunk$ #$3$ $succeeded$ $at$ $69$ ($offset$ $1$ $line$).
    $Hunk$ #$4$ $succeeded$ $at$ $158$ $with$ $fuzz$ $1$ ($offset$ $14$ $lines$).
    $Hunk$ #$5$ $succeeded$ $at$ $469$ ($offset$ $29$ $lines$).
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$stylesheets$/$global$-$search$.$css$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$browser$/$app$/$controllers$/$preferences$-$assistant$.$js$

$Verify$ $file$ $replacements$...
    *** $FAILED$ ***

remove the following 2 files:

Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/images/list-icon-keytoss.png
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/search-keytoss.png

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    remove the following 2 files:

Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/images/list-icon-keytoss.png
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/search-keytoss.png
    Thanks Eric.

this patch won't install for me via preware, so used the link you provided and WebOSQI. Still no luck. An "error occurs while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh"

any idea's? this is my favorite patch, but i always have trouble after updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    this patch won't install for me via preware, so used the link you provided and WebOSQI. Still no luck. An "error occurs while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh"

any idea's? this is my favorite patch, but i always have trouble after updates.
    I'm seeing the same message if I try to install that patch using WOQI. Deleted the files that Eric cited up thread; no change.
  15.    #75  
    Is there any more info beyond that error message?
    Hi.
    Due to a problem with my browser (and the multi-mod patch) I tried to remove all of my patches, including KeyToss. But I notice that the browser continues to reference KT whenever I input a search term. It seems to me that it's still active even though it no longer appears in my installed list. Is that possible?
    Ok, so if anyone wants to remove the KeyToss (and Yahoo) entries in the search engine list on the Browser Preferences page after uninstalling the KeyToss Keyword Search patch, use the following database-reset-patch:
    http://ktimg.com/pre/keysearch_patch...database.patch

Steps:

1. After uninstalling the KeyToss Keyword Search patch, download the above database-reset-patch file to your computer. (Right-click on the link, and select "Save Link As". Don't open the file in the browser and copy/paste the text; it won't work.)
    2. Use WebOS Quick Install to install the database-reset-patch onto your device.
    3. Launch your browser.
    4. At this point, your search engine database should be back to original state (as of webOS 1.3.1) and contain only Google. Confirm this by going into Browser Preferences, as well as by testing Universal Search and the Browser URL Search.
    5. Uninstall the database-reset-patch.
    Thanks for this. I didn't see it before sending you my note this morning. I'll try it whenever I'm able to resolve a problem with multi-mod blocking my web access (I can't get the removal script to execute properly--if you know some other way I might remove it I'd be grateful for the tip). Thanks again.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    Thanks for this. I didn't see it before sending you my note this morning. I'll try it whenever I'm able to resolve a problem with multi-mod blocking my web access (I can't get the removal script to execute properly--if you know some other way I might remove it I'd be grateful for the tip). Thanks again.
    I updated the patch in post #64 to be more compatible.
    in reply to posts 73-75 above, I'm having same problem. and also as reported, the error only says "an error occurred while attemptint to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh" and doesn't say any other lines (I know sometimes after this kind of error there will be more details, but for me that was it...)

thanks again -- like others, I really like keytoss so hope its fixable... :-\
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb777 View Post
    in reply to posts 73-75 above, I'm having same problem. and also as reported, the error only says "an error occurred while attemptint to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh" and doesn't say any other lines (I know sometimes after this kind of error there will be more details, but for me that was it...)

thanks again -- like others, I really like keytoss so hope its fixable... :-\
    Hi,
    Thanks for posting.

As far as I know the KeyToss Keyword Search patch installs without errors on a clean copy of webOS 1.40.

I don't know much about the ipk installation scripts. The best that I can suggest is to run EPR to clean out your patches and start again. Or you might want to ping the webos-internals guys about this problem. They'll be more responsive to you than to me.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast