1.    #1  
    I can code apps and make my own modifications but for the life of me I'm not comfortable and not 100% understanding the instructions for pushing the modified patch to the webos-internals repository. So I'm going to post each of the ones I can update on my pre so that someonethat knows how to get them on there can and also so people can test the patch to make sure it is working 100% for everyone.

Code:
    Index: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs
    ===================================================================
    --- .$orig$/$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$launcher$-$assistant$.$js$
    +++ /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$launcher$-$assistant$.$js$
    @@ -$23$,$8$ +$23$,$8$ @@ $var$ $LauncherAssistant$ = $Class$.$create$({
     		$visible$: $true$,
     		$label$: $$L$('$Launcher$'),
             $items$: [
    -			/*{ $label$: $$L$('$New$ $page$'), $command$: '$newpage$' },
    -			{ $label$: $$L$('$Delete$ $page$'), $command$: '$deletepage$' },*/
    +			{ $label$: $$L$('$New$ $page$'), $command$: '$newpage$' },
    +			{ $label$: $$L$('$Delete$ $page$'), $command$: '$deletepage$' },
     			$Mojo$.$Menu$.$editItem$,
     			{ $label$: $$L$('$List$ $Apps$...'), $command$: '$listapps$' },
     			$Mojo$.$Menu$.$helpItem$
    @@ -$117$,$7$ +$117$,$6$ @@ $var$ $LauncherAssistant$ = $Class$.$create$({
     				$case$ '$listapps$':
     					$ApplicationService$.$launch$($this$.$deviceInfo$.$id$, $this$.$deviceInfo$.$params$);
     					$break$;
    -				/*
     				$case$ '$newpage$':
     					$if$ ($this$.$pageDivs$.$length$ &$lt$; $10$) {
     						$this$.$insertPage$($this$.$activePageIndex$, $true$);
    @@ -$131$,$7$ +$130$,$6$ @@ $var$ $LauncherAssistant$ = $Class$.$create$({
     						}
     					}
     					$break$;
    -				*/
     			}
     		}
     	},
    $Index$: /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$launcher$-$assistant$.$js$
    ===================================================================
    --- .$orig$/$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$launcher$-$assistant$.$js$
    +++ /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$launcher$-$assistant$.$js$
    @@ -$23$,$8$ +$23$,$8$ @@ $var$ $LauncherAssistant$ = $Class$.$create$({
     		$visible$: $true$,
     		$label$: $$L$('$Launcher$'),
             $items$: [
    -			/*{ $label$: $$L$('$New$ $page$'), $command$: '$newpage$' },
    -			{ $label$: $$L$('$Delete$ $page$'), $command$: '$deletepage$' },*/
    +			{ $label$: $$L$('$New$ $page$'), $command$: '$newpage$' },
    +			{ $label$: $$L$('$Delete$ $page$'), $command$: '$deletepage$' },
     			$Mojo$.$Menu$.$editItem$,
     			{ $label$: $$L$('$List$ $Apps$...'), $command$: '$listapps$' },
     			$Mojo$.$Menu$.$helpItem$
    @@ -$117$,$7$ +$117$,$6$ @@ $var$ $LauncherAssistant$ = $Class$.$create$({
     				$case$ '$listapps$':
     					$ApplicationService$.$launch$($this$.$deviceInfo$.$id$, $this$.$deviceInfo$.$params$);
     					$break$;
    -				/*
     				$case$ '$newpage$':
     					$if$ ($this$.$pageDivs$.$length$ &$lt$; $10$) {
     						$this$.$insertPage$($this$.$activePageIndex$, $true$);
    @@ -$131$,$7$ +$130$,$6$ @@ $var$ $LauncherAssistant$ = $Class$.$create$({
     						}
     					}
     					$break$;
    -				*/
     			}
     		}
     	},
    gather your .patch files, zip em up and send them to me. I will get em in the repo and autobuilt as ipk.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    gather your .patch files, zip em up and send them to me. I will get em in the repo and autobuilt as ipk.
    Will do, I'm trying to figure out how to build the patch files for mods that are patched yet. The part that confused me the most was being able to push them to the repo. The directions need a little more average joe noob touch to them. Surprisingly more so than the rest of the webos-internals site it assumes the reader has a good deal of understanding of what is happening and leaves out details that average joe needs to understand to follow them. But I think I have grasped the part for making the patch files. The two I posted about so far it was simple enough just to edit the line numbers in the existing patch code.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Will do, I'm trying to figure out how to build the patch files for mods that are patched yet. The part that confused me the most was being able to push them to the repo. The directions need a little more average joe noob touch to them. Surprisingly more so than the rest of the webos-internals site it assumes the reader has a good deal of understanding of what is happening and leaves out details that average joe needs to understand to follow them. But I think I have grasped the part for making the patch files. The two I posted about so far it was simple enough just to edit the line numbers in the existing patch code.
    if line numbers are the only thing that's different in a patch then the patch should still work just fine. You shouldn't need to update patches that ONLY need to change line number. Many of the 1.1.0 patches in gitorious apply successfully to 1.2.0 already even though the line numbers are off. GNU patch is smart and can figure out where things go.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  5.    #5  
    Here we go zip with 4 patches:

add/delete pages in launcher
    more icons per row with reduced margins and increased space between columns (5/row)(modified from original)
    timestamp all messages using the built in timestamp method which normally only timestamps messages that show up late
    battery percent and icon in the top bar (this is the same thing that was in webos quick install) uses the default battery percent reporting

All updated to work with 1.2 credit for the battery percent goes to the forum members who did the work on it in the thread here on the forum all I did was generate the quilt patch from their files. The other patches I applied manually to my pre and generated the patches.

I wanted to generate one for the show call duration in the call log but I don't know where the info is for making the edits to generate a patch for it. I think I added it to my pre from webos quick install.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    if line numbers are the only thing that's different in a patch then the patch should still work just fine. You shouldn't need to update patches that ONLY need to change line number. Many of the 1.1.0 patches in gitorious apply successfully to 1.2.0 already even though the line numbers are off. GNU patch is smart and can figure out where things go.
    Oh someone told me way back that if line numbers changed the patches had to be updated if this was not true then add/delete launcher pages doesn't have to be pushed just indicate it works with 1.2. The remaining patches I uploaded in that zip are not on the repo. The one more icons in a row is a modified version of the one on the repo in reduces the side margins which in turn made it possible to increase the space between columns of icons for 5/row. The timestamp patch on the repo is a different method and look for timestamping. The one I generated uses the built in method but puts it on all messages instead of just the ones that show up late. And the battery percent is a patch generated from the work of those in a thread on the forum here and was able to be applied using webos quick install on 1.1 but is not in the repo. The current goal is to get all modifications in the repo of quilt patches so a feed can be made and then used in webos quick install and preware etc to apply them just as easy as installing apps. And also allow for easy updating of them if need be in the future.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I need help applying these patches. I recently received a replacement palm pre. I was able to run the patch for add del pages on my old pre (1.1),i got the new pre yesterday so i downloaded 1.2 before i did anything to the pre.

I tried webos-internal method of placing a file adddel.patch on my pre and then runing the comand. That didn't work.

I tried three methods to edit the actual file to delete the comment "/*"

1. in developer Mode, used cmd.exe and novacom -t open tty:// to get to root@castle. When i navigated to the folder and opened the editor (vi launche-assistant.jsjsjs) $it$ $did$ $not$ $open$ $correctley$.

2. in dev mode, used novterm, tried to edit the file and it was read only could not do anything to it.

3. out of dev mode, used puTTY, and got to joe@castle. here the file was still readonly.

for all of these i tried the "mount -o rw, remount /", (sudo when i was at joe@catsle)that only opens the file structure it didnt change the files from being read only.

Is there a step by step to get the patch to run? Can i run it from the repository you guys are talkign about? Can you provide the comands for appling these pathes?

Thanks,

Joe
  8.    #8  
    I'm going to break the post up to address each point in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith1983 View Post
    I need help applying these patches. I recently received a replacement palm pre. I was able to run the patch for add del pages on my old pre (1.1),i got the new pre yesterday so i downloaded 1.2 before i did anything to the pre.

I tried webos-internal method of placing a file adddel.patch on my pre and then runing the comand. That didn't work.
    First off slow down a bit and lets take this a little at a time did you try and follow the Applying Patches instructions? If so can you tell me exactly where you started having trouble? This will be our starting point as it has you do everything you need to do to apply quilt patches.

I tried three methods to edit the actual file to delete the comment "/*"

1. in developer Mode, used cmd.exe and novacom -t open tty:// to get to root@castle. When i navigated to the folder and opened the editor (vi launche-assistant.jsjsjs) $it$ $did$ $not$ $open$ $correctley$.
    When wanting to manually edit files make sure you have the correct path and file name and that there are no errors in the spelling. Then the file will open and you will see lines of code.

2. in dev mode, used novterm, tried to edit the file and it was read only could not do anything to it.

3. out of dev mode, used puTTY, and got to joe@castle. here the file was still readonly.
    You have to mount in rewrite mode. By default the file system is read only for security. This is generally the first step in all of the guides if you are changing anything by accessing linux on the pre. It sounds like you have setup everything and understand how to access linux on the pre so you just need guidance on understanding how to do things with that access.

for all of these i tried the "mount -o rw, remount /", (sudo when i was at joe@catsle)that only opens the file structure it didnt change the files from being read only.

Is there a step by step to get the patch to run? Can i run it from the repository you guys are talkign about? Can you provide the comands for appling these pathes?

Thanks,

Joe
    It looks like you have done some reading but mixed up the order of the terms in the command. Easiest is to copy paste to avoid typos or errors. When at joe@castle you have to use sudo -i to grant root rights. Then the prompt will change to root@castle followed by a path name likely the root user home directory. From there you can follow the instructions on the link at the beginning of my post to apply quilt patches. Please keep in mind that not all patches have been verified to work with 1.2 so check the patches page to see what patches have been verified. Also be sure to back up any files you are going to be changing just in case something goes wrong or save a copy of webos doctor somewhere on your pc to extract the original files from in the event something goes wrong and you need to replace the file with the original.
    Is it possible to add the ability to move pages and all the apps with it. That would be very nice as I could move relevant pages close to each other, rather than moving all the apps as of right now. Thanks a lot for this patch by the way, love it. Please make it perfect.
  10.    #10  
    If that is possible I can't imagine it being easy to do. Personally I don't even know how the existing pages are formed from the code side of things. If one were to see if it were possible would have to figure that out and then a good way for users to interact for moving them.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    If that is possible I can't imagine it being easy to do. Personally I don't even know how the existing pages are formed from the code side of things. If one were to see if it were possible would have to figure that out and then a good way for users to interact for moving them.
    Correct...It probably wouldn't be very easy to implement...Perhaps, not even worth the effort considering the limited benefit(just my opinion tho).

fwiw...It would probably have to be done through the launcher-pages.jsjsjs $model$ $which$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $used$ $to$ $parse$ $out$ $the$ $db$ $info$ $related$ $to$ $the$ $pages$ &$amp$; $app$ $launch$/$dock$ $points$.

12.    #12  
    Yep I believe that was what I was looking at and seems like already a significant amount of code just to do whatever it is they do with the pages. Honestly it probably is a feature best left to requesting palm to have their devs implement. Who knows perhaps it is something they have thought about but for the same reasons the add/remove pages isn't officially turned on has something to do with it. This is my guess anyways.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  13. VTP
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Please forgive a newbie question; I just started applying patches to my Pre after getting it in October. When the next WebOS update comes out, I'll need to uninstall all of my applied patches, including this one. My question: what happens then to the additional launcher pages that I've added, and the organization & arrangement of all of my apps on all of those launcher pages? Do all of the apps just get strewn about on the stock 3 launcher pages? And after the WebOS update must I then recreate all of those additional pages and rearrange and organize all of the app icons once again? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP View Post
    Please forgive a newbie question; I just started applying patches to my Pre after getting it in October. When the next WebOS update comes out, I'll need to uninstall all of my applied patches, including this one. My question: what happens then to the additional launcher pages that I've added, and the organization & arrangement of all of my apps on all of those launcher pages? Do all of the apps just get strewn about on the stock 3 launcher pages? And after the WebOS update must I then recreate all of those additional pages and rearrange and organize all of the app icons once again? Thanks.
    You DO NOT need to remove your patches thanks to AUPT, just update them after the OTA update, Preware makes this super easy. And for Add/Delete Launcher Pages, even if you do remove the patch everything will stay the same, all of your icons, number of pages, etc. The patch simply enables code that was there by Palm already.
  15. VTP
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Ah, thank you so much, was just reading up on this - so all patches I have installed today via WebOS Quick Install and Preware and AUPT-technology patches, then? Excellent news, I don't have to fear the coming Sprint 1.4.5 update!
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP View Post
    Ah, thank you so much, was just reading up on this - so all patches I have installed today via WebOS Quick Install and Preware and AUPT-technology patches, then? Excellent news, I don't have to fear the coming Sprint 1.4.5 update!
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ta-update.html

-Eric G

Donate
  17. VTP
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks to you too, Eric. Fortunately, I don't have any of the implicated patches.