Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok seriously here folks. I really would like the blinking led notification but I have NO CLUE how to root or honestly even what that means. With some step-by-step instruction I have no doubt I could pull it off but I cant seem to find that. Also is this something that would need to be changed back when the next update comes out sometime in the Spring? Ive looked at the how to do it thread and still have no clue how to do it! I see the "put this here using this" and the "put that there using that" part but where do I get this "this" and "that" to put "here" and "there" is my problem! Anyone able to help? Thanks.
    Just wait for WebOS Quick Install. Jason will probably add this to his application. Have a little patience.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    This is a you tube video (I cannot post links as I have not posted enough yet).

/watch?v=L5InnpF4k8E

Here is Rooting for Dummies (very helpful for me), it is located at forums.precentral.net

/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/197715-rooting-dummies.html
    If you have no clue how to root or what it means, then i would ultimately suggest you should not even attempt to go that rout. If you are patient, some fine folks over here are working (as i speak) on how to implement the patch (code) into a program called WebOS quick install, which will require no rooting. Now if you don't know what that program is, i suggest you spend time to do your research. Search this site, read up on the info, and you should be good to go.

p.s. The term "rooting" just means accessing the linux (inner system) of your phone
    Quick install update can't come in fast enough for me lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Quick install update can't come in fast enough for me lol.
    Then go to The WebOS internals site and follow instructions on rooting your pre. Or better yet, follow the instructions on this video:

I suggest you keep the video running as you are doing your installation (pausing it from time to time to make sure you are on the same page with him)..When you have successfully, rooted your pre, you will also need to install something called quilt. The instructions for installing quilt is: Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

I hope now you see what i mean when i say it will be a tideous procedure when you are going through the root method. That's why i adviced you wait for the easier method to be brought out. Remember that the update just arrived yesterday!..give the folks some time to do what they do best....and the blinking LED is not that special anyway (trust me, i have it).
    Nice video, err, I guess WebOS Quick Install can come fast enough for me lol. All I want is click and apply
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    This patch can now be applied via Preware

If you have not manually edited your phone to enable led notifications, I would highly recommend using Preware instead.

If you did use the manual method, you can restore your original securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $securityconfig$-$scene$.$html$ $files$ $from$ $your$ $backup$ $copies$ $and$ $then$ $use$ $Preware$ $to$ $apply$ $the$ $patch$.

EDIT: you can check patch compatibility with 1.2 in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1936846

Friendly warning: I would recommend using caution when applying any other patches found in the autopatch-feed in Preware. Not all of them are verified to be working with 1.2, but the LED notification patch works great.

Open Preware, go to Available Applications > IPKG

Install autopatch-feed

Restart Preware, then go to Available Patches > Screen Lock

Install Enables LED Notifications

*Click OK on the prompt warning you about running the script.

Once it is installed, reboot your phone, go into Screen & Lock to enable Blink Notifications, and you should be all set!

Original post:

You can use Notepad++ to edit the files, get that here Browse Notepad++ Files on SourceForge.net

No rooting required. Use WebOS Quick Install, set your phone to developer mode, plug it into your computer, then go to Tools > Receive file

You need to copy 2 files, securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs and securityconfig-scene.html

So in the Receive File window, put /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/controllers/securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs in the File box and pick your desktop for the Destination Folder, then click get from device.

Do the same for the next file, but the path is /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/views/securityconfig/securityconfig-scene.html

Now before you do anything, make backup copies of both of these files in case something gets messed up.

In securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs $remove$ $the$ $following$:

// from line 54
    // from line 55

/* from line 248
    */ from line 251

In securityconfig-scene.html remove the following:

<!-- from line 92
    --> from line 97

<!-- from line 101
    --> from line 103

Save those 2 files. Then use WebOS Quick Install, Tools > Send File

Send securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs from your desktop to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/controllers/

Send securityconfig-scene.html from your desktop to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/views/securityconfig/

Reset your phone and go to Screen and Lock, and you should have the option for Blink Notifications
    Last edited by jp22382; 10/01/2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Thanks! That was super easy.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Thanks! That was super easy.
    Glad to help, had to scrounge up the info yesterday to get it working myself
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Glad to help, had to scrounge up the info yesterday to get it working myself
    what do you use to edit the files?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    what do you use to edit the files?
    Should have included that in my post, sorry.

Notepad++ works great for all kinds of different file types.

Browse Notepad++ Files on SourceForge.net
    This is the first thing i did after i updated the phone, and it does work, but only when the slider is CLOSED. So its's pretty useless for me, i wanted it so that i would know when i have a text/email when my sounds are off. No way i'm closing my phone every time i'm done sending a text just to see the LED flash. Fail.

Edit: It will flash when the slider is open, but the card that contains a text conversation can't be be open. Sweet!
    Last edited by thunderchicken02; 09/29/2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 09/29/2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: double post
    Should have included that in my post, sorry.

Notepad++ works great for all kinds of different file types.

Browse Notepad++ Files on SourceForge.net
    What version of Quick Install did you use. I did the exact same process earlier today and it did not work. I was using version 2.6. I am going to try it again and report back. Oddly, I had it working perfectly in the leaked 1.2 version.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    What version of Quick Install did you use. I did the exact same process earlier today and it did not work. I was using version 2.6. I am going to try it again and report back. Oddly, I had it working perfectly in the leaked 1.2 version.
    I'm using version 2.5 of Quick Install. You getting error messages in Quick Install or are the changes just not taking?
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken02 View Post
    This is the first thing i did after i updated the phone, and it does work, but only when the slider is CLOSED. So its's pretty useless for me, i wanted it so that i would know when i have a text/email when my sounds are off. No way i'm closing my phone every time i'm done sending a text just to see the LED flash. Fail.
    Okay, I'm calling this out.

This is a hack #1, so you can't expect the world. You want LED flash notification, this is the way you get it, and the only way @ present.

Now I understand your usage pattern for texts, etc, cause a problem with this, and I can understand that.

But for 99% of the people out there, myself included, the slider remains closed unless I'm actively accessing the device. That being the case, this solution works great until Palm decides to release it officially into the wild.

The only thing that fails here is the post that's quoted. Such a wretched attitude about a hack that someone was kind enough to share.
    I'm using version 2.5 of Quick Install. You getting error messages in Quick Install or are the changes just not taking?
    No error messages. The changes just aren't taking. It says the file transferred successfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Okay, I'm calling this out.

This is a hack #1, so you can't expect the world. You want LED flash notification, this is the way you get it, and the only way @ present.

Now I understand your usage pattern for texts, etc, cause a problem with this, and I can understand that.

But for 99% of the people out there, myself included, the slider remains closed unless I'm actively accessing the device. That being the case, this solution works great until Palm decides to release it officially into the wild.

The only thing that fails here is the post that's quoted. Such a wretched attitude about a hack that someone was kind enough to share.

You DO realize that it takes longer for you to stare at the phone waiting on the slow flash than it does to reach over and push the power button, right? I think it's funny how you are trying to argue over my OPINION...I posted this to let people know that it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Edit: Also, a hack is not defined as code that Palm themselves wrote.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    No error messages. The changes just aren't taking. It says the file transferred successfully.
    Hate to ask but did you reboot your phone and then check Screen & Lock?
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast