1.    #1  
    I am creating this thread to kick off the discussions for creating an interoperable standard for patch management. We want to come up with a solution that not only makes it easy for most Pre users to apply but also keeps things open.

We chould split up patches into package subcategories. Everything on the Pre is supplied as a package, from the built-in apps to the mojo framework to kernel modules. All these packages supplied by Palm have file-list, control and md5sums files in /usr/lib/ipkg/info/.

The simplest/quickest and probably the best solution would be to simply package up .patch files as ipkgs with defined standard way of using GNU patch in postinst/prerm. postinst would perform a patch --dry-run to ensure the patch applies cleanly, and then apply it. prerm can perform a patch -R to remove what it can. Users are expected not to touch the files manually unless they know what they are doing, in which case they can handle problems that will arise.

Users who do not touch files manually should not run into problems because any conflicting patch will fail to install after the --dry-run fails in postinst, and thus not touch anything. Since Palm currently overwrites files when doing OTA updates, this method will allow patches to be removed after updates as long as Palm doesn't use the same code in their updates as the patch.... and then well, call the doctor :P.

We can come up with a more strict policy and patching system, but the reason I don't like that is it creates a "first come first serve" patching system. So for instance if someone wanted to patch the framework, using a strict md5sum method they wouldn't be able to or users would have to remove the keyboard to use their patch.
    I fully support this initiative.

Eric and I have discussed this at length in the #webos-internals IRC channel and privately, and I'm pretty sure we both have the same goals for this effort.

And I know the PreLoad guys are very interested in being involved too.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    How would this newly proposed patch system be different compared to using something like quilt?

-- plee3
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    How would this newly proposed patch system be different compared to using something like quilt?

-- plee3
    It would not require Linux access, and the patches would be distributed as packaged ipkg files through an advanced homebrew installer like Preware or PreLoad or WebOS Quick Install ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I would like to help out in any way I can to get this going. I began by noting patches on the patches page of webos-internals that I believe haven't been added to the repo for quilt. More and more I see people asking for help patching so I think the sooner we can get this going for use in webos quick install, preware, etc the better.