Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    hi could folks post how to root phone and install patchs or create patchs.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arcolino View Post
    hi could folks post how to root phone and install patchs or create patchs.
    If you can't:

1) Use the forum's search feature to find thousands of posts on this subject,

2) Select the proper sub-forum to ask this question, and

3) Spell "patches" or use your shift key...

...then I don't think that you will have much luck tinkering with a device as complex as the Pre is under the hood.....
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    If you can't:

2) Select the proper sub-forum to ask this question, and

...then I don't think that you will have much luck tinkering with a device as complex as the Pre is under the hood.....

answer.
    Basically It was a quick question, Iíve been searching around for a long time trying to find out how to root and patch and should I root and patch on the emulator then the phone. Straight forward how to root the pre and patch it and should it be done first on the emulator then the phone.

2) Select the proper sub-forum to ask this question,
    answer.
    Once again a quick question, I been searching for a while and did not find what I was looking for, Its funny how you would take time to bash a one line question verses giving an answer or a link to where I can find my answer; interesting

answer.
    Actually it is spelled two ways patchís or patches I have another spelling for you check this one for me, How do you spell condescending jerk? I bet you would know the meaning to those words, just take a look in the mirror that will point you in the right direction.

...then I don't think that you will have much luck tinkering with a device as complex as the Pre is under the hood.
    answer.
    You should use the word complicated in your statement, you need an adverb not a pronoun. It's a phone not a car, incase you have'nt noticed.
    Iíve noticed people tend to make things more complicated than they really are, itís a way of saying Iím so smart, but actually they lack the ability to explain how to do something. I can put together a small to mid-size network with switches and routers including sub-netting, protocols, access list etc. People say to me you are so smart, I always say thatís my field and itís easy, once you know the answer. I have no doubt the pre will become the same; after all itís just applying patchís and I can always reset it back to factory specs. No rocket science!

b.t.w. do u have a pre our are you still stuck in treo land
    The search key is your friend. You're asking questions that have been asked hundreds of times, there are many step-by-step walkthroughs to root your pre. Check out the web-os wiki. If you can setup networks, you should know how to find answers to questions. Also, patch's is not the same as patches..and learn how to use punctuation.
    arcolino.. you come here asking for help, then waste your time making a long un-wanted post instead of searching the forum for information that is here.

You sir, need to pull your head out of your ***.
    www.webos-internals.org

Look for getting started and whats next page.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Once again a quick question, I been searching for a while and did not find what I was looking for, Its funny how you would take time to bash a one line question verses giving an answer or a link to where I can find my answer; interesting
    Not as funny as someone who writes an open-ended one line question (that didn't even end with a question mark) wasting people's VOLUNTEER time because you're too busy to do some basic research. The answers are here for the reading, but you have to make at least a token effort to find them!

b.t.w. do u have a pre our are you still stuck in treo land
    I have a Pre thank you, and even developed three applications for it before I had an actual phone to run them on thanks to the SDK and emulator. My Pre does automatic nightly disk image backups to my own server, has a working VPN connection to my office, and even makes phone calls on occasion. This was all accomplished thanks to HUNDREDS of hours of reading these forums and webos-internals.

Since you did ask a specific question in your reply post, I'll give you a quick answer. The emulator in the SDK is what's known as an off-target emulator. It isn't binary-compatible with the Pre's CPU chip, so moving executable binaries between the emulator and the Pre is impossible. The emulator was intended to allow developers to test/write JavaScript (interpreted) applications, without access to a phone (pre-release) or without potentially damaging their phone (post-release). If you want to tinker with editing files or changing themes, it's a great sandbox for that because it can be whacked back to scratch in two minutes if you make a mistake. Other than this, the emulator serves no other purpose, and it is not used in the process of actually customizing your phone.....